SiouxSports.com Forum

Where to eat in Grand Forks.

sioux34

28 minutes ago, ToDaClub said:

Ate at Varsity Ice House for lunch today(previously Wild Bills on Demers) Great burger and the fries were even better. Mostly burgers or chicken for the menu.   Looks like it will be a gathering spot for watching sports as they have a lot of huge tvs.  

Sounds like Players from the 1990's. I still miss that place.

• Upvote 1

17 minutes ago, Green Banner said:

That would be awesome,  unfortunately I don't see that happening.  I believe the Miranda's have moved back east.

fun seeing the old sign exposed with whoever is renoing the building....

sad note....their son that was the reason they moved here and opened gussepes committed suicide last year

10 minutes ago, SIOUXFAN97 said:

fun seeing the old sign exposed with whoever is renoing the building....

sad note....their son that was the reason they moved here and opened gussepes committed suicide last year

Would go there for lunch often, always had Sinatra playing and Vinny would be in the back cooking away. Place was a hidden gem.

• Upvote 1

• 4 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
5 minutes ago, Green Banner said:

Can we get another Taco Johns please????

I'd prefer more banks and empty strip malls!  Or existing businesses just moving farther south and abandoning existing strip mall locations leaving....wait for it....MORE EMPTY strip malls.

24 minutes ago, gfNDfan said:

I'd prefer more banks and empty strip malls!  Or existing businesses just moving farther south and abandoning existing strip mall locations leaving....wait for it....MORE EMPTY strip malls.

You hit the nail on the head

Who owns the old green mill and will something ever open there?

need family dining where you can sit and actually visit with those across the table.

Texas Roadhouse, way too loud, vinyl taco way too loud , 

34 minutes ago, Cratter said:

They have some very tasty flights (food and booze) at the Boardroom.

i think they need a cohesive marketing strategy.......go on google maps and click on them and it pulls up "the other half"...coffee and taphouse.. click on there facebook page and it says its a coffee shop.  their email says xxx@bullybrew

• Upvote 1

6 hours ago, Siouxper1 said:

Vinyl Taco closed! WTH!!!

well look on the bright side - there's going to be a NEW MCDONALD'S and a new STARBUCKS going up around 40th Ave. S!!!!*

* - (sarcasm alert) - I'd upgrade that to WTF??  Now Crooked Pint, Famous Dave's and now Vinyl Taco have all folded in that area.   Jersey Mikes has decent sandwiches but don't look at the kitchen floor if you go in.  Pretty soon the Canadians are just going to say f-it and go straight on to Fargo if they haven't already. 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, gfNDfan said:

well look on the bright side - there's going to be a NEW MCDONALD'S and a new STARBUCKS going up around 40th Ave. S!!!!*

* - (sarcasm alert) - I'd upgrade that to WTF??  Now Crooked Pint, Famous Dave's and now Vinyl Taco have all folded in that area.   Jersey Mikes has decent sandwiches but don't look at the kitchen floor if you go in.  Pretty soon the Canadians are just going to say f-it and go straight on to Fargo if they haven't already. 

Do you think those restaurants are closing because they made too much money? And the ones you complain about are opening new locations because their current ones are unprofitable so they are going to throw some more money out there and see what happens?
Blame the community for not supporting more local options.

12 hours ago, gfNDfan said:

There was a common theme with all three, don't get me wrong as I visited all three.  Used to go to Vinyl every Friday after work with my wife and enjoyed the other two at one point.  But with disposable income at a premium, people don't eat out as much anymore.  When service is subpar and food has become average it is hard to justify going there.  Now with that said, I don't visit chains very often, and certainly not McD, which has become way overpriced.    Its tough to justify going out for subpar service and food when I can make better at home. Maybe my standards are  higher having worked in the industry for the last 35 years.  I remember back in the 80's and 90's when food and service was good/great in GF.  The professional server and cook just doesn't exist any longer and a lot of the managers just don't have the quality control that we had back in the day.  FWIW I left the industry and don't miss it.

• Upvote 1

17 hours ago, Kab said:

Who owns the old green mill and will something ever open there?

need family dining where you can sit and actually visit with those across the table.

Texas Roadhouse, way too loud, vinyl taco way too loud , 

It's nice to have more dining options in GF and it's difficult to see restaurants close. But, as jdub27 suggested, the restaurants that are viable and well patronized, will stay open. Those that aren't, won't. It's the law of the market. 

This comment is not aimed at you personally, but at an opinion I've heard a few times about noisy restaurants in GF.

I know I'm stating the obvious, but you don't suppose that a restaurant is noisy before it opens its doors on a typical day do you? It's not the restaurant that's noisy, it's the customers. And what do noisy restaurants have in common? They're busy. And they're busy because they're doing something, or many things, right--good food, good service, good vibe, or maybe people like going there because they're busy. 

So, you can go to one of the noisy restaurants--Texas Roadhouse, Blue Moose, Speedway, The Hub, The Frog--and put up with the noise while you're enjoying a good meal, or you can go to a Green Mill before it closes, or a Crooked Pint, before it closes, and have your peaceful meal. Your choice. 

Now get off my lawn! 

24 minutes ago, Big Lubowski said:

It's nice to have more dining options in GF and it's difficult to see restaurants close. But, as jdub27 suggested, the restaurants that are viable and well patronized, will stay open. Those that aren't, won't. It's the law of the market. 

This comment is not aimed at you personally, but at an opinion I've heard a few times about noisy restaurants in GF.

I know I'm stating the obvious, but you don't suppose that a restaurant is noisy before it opens its doors on a typical day do you? It's not the restaurant that's noisy, it's the customers. And what do noisy restaurants have in common? They're busy. And they're busy because they're doing something, or many things, right--good food, good service, good vibe, or maybe people like going there because they're busy. 

So, you can go to one of the noisy restaurants--Texas Roadhouse, Blue Moose, Speedway, The Hub, The Frog--and put up with the noise while you're enjoying a good meal, or you can go to a Green Mill before it closes, or a Crooked Pint, before it closes, and have your peaceful meal. Your choice. 

Now get off my lawn! 

Not on your lawn

im smart enough to know why places are noisy

I'm also smart enough to know that the dumb sob who turns up the music can tone it down

Im also smart enough to know they can put sound deadening materials on walls and ceilings

now go shovel my driveway 

• Upvote 1