SiouxSports.com Forum

Where to eat in Grand Forks.

sioux34

34 minutes ago, Big Lubowski said:

My fave in GF--unpretentious, dive bar/restaurant. Parking is an adventure but the food is worth the trouble. I like their ribs--I think they're an old midwest recipe, very unlike the modern BBQ food trucks etc--they're not smoked (sometimes some of the BBQ afficionado stuff tastes like you're eating the coals...) Their BBQ sauce is good. 

And, their burgers are second to none, their steaks are very good, and their homemade appetizers--cheeser cheesers & hot tots, to name a couple--are excellent. 

Must be a reason they're so busy. 

I'd agree on their food, good quality and solid portions.

Wasn't putting down their ribs, they are made exactly the way most people in the midwest grew up eating them myself included. Was just pointing out they aren't what you necessarily think of when you hear "ribs" these days with onset of BBQ joints/food trucks. Like I said, they were exactly as I remembered them from years ago and I was fine with that.  

16 hours ago, Cratter said:

If only having one instead of two Cherrys Berry's in the Grand Cities is affecting your quality of life...must be a good life!

I think the broader conversation here is not about whether there are enough places, or even any places, to buy ice cream [or any other food staple]...but rather the fact that once again, there are fewer places.

And in this case, I do believe that one's overall "quality of life" is affected by such things as proximity and walkability at least as much as simple availability. (Especially in the case of foods that tend to melt on the drive home.)

With todays (interest rates and lack of help you better have a damn good business plan and even better location to go into any business.

drive through the oil patch and see new motels locked up, I think one in Minot was built and never opened, Stanley has one, Bismarck has eating places that have closed because of lack of help.

2 hours ago, NoiseInsideMyHead said:

I think the broader conversation here is not about whether there are enough places, or even any places, to buy ice cream [or any other food staple]...but rather the fact that once again, there are fewer places.

And in this case, I do believe that one's overall "quality of life" is affected by such things as proximity and walkability at least as much as simple availability. (Especially in the case of foods that tend to melt on the drive home.)

Reminds me of the time my buddy complained....at his hunting cabin....that the garage was too small....because his third side by side wouldn't fit.

1 hour ago, SiouxForever said:

Thoughts on Rhombus Guys Brewing closing? Never like the idea… should have stuck to Pizza and possible Pizza expansion imho. 

I'm surprised it's the brewing that's closing and not the restaurant.  It feels the restaurant has struggled for an identity for several years now.  I would sooner drink their beer than eat their food.

17 minutes ago, Dustin said:

I'm surprised it's the brewing that's closing and not the restaurant.  It feels the restaurant has struggled for an identity for several years now.  I would sooner drink their beer than eat their food.

I was a little mistaken.  I thought the restaurant attached to the brewery was remaining open (essentially meaning both restaurants would be open).  The article was referring the pizza place.  I am not surprised about the restaurant attached to brewery.  Like I said, it seems they've struggled for an identity for that place.  Pizza place is good, though.

2 hours ago, The Sicatoka said:

Good plan.

There's a major hole in the local frozen market since Pizza Dave sold out Pizza Corner frozen to the corpies at Bernatello's. At least he kept the store front on Main in Valley City. 

The kids love Barstool Sports. And their famous (founder) El Presidente did a review of Rhombus pizza.

I think there's a lot of frozen pizza companies around....it's probably the next "microbrew craze." Every city will probably have one.

I believe Hatton, ND has a frozen pizza company. 

1 hour ago, Cratter said:

The kids love Barstool Sports. And their famous (founder) El Presidente did a review of Rhombus pizza.

I think there's a lot of frozen pizza companies around....it's probably the next "microbrew craze." Every city will probably have one.

I believe Hatton, ND has a frozen pizza company. 

Bonita Pizza, they make Up North Pizza and a few other brands.

Also give Johnny B's a try. Very solid frozen pizza. They have a restaurant in Jamestown. 

• Upvote 1

59 minutes ago, fightingsioux4life said:

How can Rhombus go from very successful to gone? The recent trend is very worrisome.

Their brewery never really took off. Brewerys are all about distribution. And there is a lot of players in that space now fighting for tap and shelf space.

They recently had that debacle about having that other guy sublease one side and essentially have his own restaurant in there...and then that guy skipped town or something.

And when they opened....Half Brothers was not. Half Bros is doing very well. I'm sure half brothers having a better location helps too.

They own the building which I doubt they'll get rid of. Probably just a cost analysis and came to the conclusion it's easier to just rent the space out.