SiouxSports.com Forum

Facilities Master Plan

The Sicatoka

1 hour ago, 61hawk said:

I don't see any reason why Hyslop needs to be demolished.  Campuses around the country have gutted and renovated historic buildings to meet the needs of the university.  As long as the structure is sound, there is no reason they can't repurpose the building.  But UND is all about tearing down.  As a graduate of 1988, I'm seeing a campus that I remember disappear.  I have worked on several different Ivy league schools and they don't tear down and rebuild, they renovate and alumni can visit and recognize the campus.  Hyslop is a beautiful building from the outside, unless it is structurally compromised it's a shame that they are even discussing demolition.

Should have just renovated the Old Ralph and raised the roof for upper deck seating.  Same thing with the Union.  Could have just slapped some fresh paint and got new carpet in the basemant and it would have looked fin.

The thing is, new students don't care about what buildings were on campus 30 years ago.  They care about the buildings they will be spending their time in over the next 4 years.  UND campus looks great now with the new buildings.  And that is what attracts new students.  In a world of declining college enrollment, Universities need to make steps like this to get students to come there.  

• Upvote 4

Hyslop has significant asbestos issues. 

Does the campus look different to me than "back in my day"? Yup. And I wouldn't trade REA, the new Union, Nistler, the new Wilky, the new McVey and West, for any of the old. 

See what the vision is here: https://campus.und.edu/facilities-management/planning-process.html 

How they've cleaned up the "Coulee to Columbia" corridor has brightened and refreshed the campus, and made it much more inviting to today's students. 

• Upvote 4

The old Ralph and the old Memorial Union all had that 1970's/Mike Brady architectural feel about them and deserved to be torn down.  The old Ralph was an abomination when it was first built and didn't get any better looking with age.  I believe the architect moved on to make a fortune designing oil storage tanks. You can't compare the architecture of either of those buildings with Hyslop.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

Interesting, the last building I worked in at USC also was full of asbestos.  They did abatement and were able to do a restoration that made the building one of the best looking spaces on campus.  I haven't been on campus in maybe 20 years, but did spend a lot of time at Hyslop.  Gambell Hall was another one of those Mike Brady designed buildings, I hated the pie shaped classrooms when I was a student.

Just now, 61hawk said:

You can't compare the architecture of either of those buildings with Hyslop.

UND has a track record (lately) of putting in new buildings with a "campus feel", see Education and Nistler. They failed doing that with as you call them "Mike Brady" buildings of the 1970s, so they did learn. 

If they're taking Hyslop down there must be an issue. Dare I point out that Memorial was failing structurally and had to come down and that Hyslop is a mere 400 feet away on the same dirt and subsoil? 

Give them a chance to show what they plan to put there. 

I understand why it will come down but I have a lot of great memories going to games there. 

As a kid I got to be a ball boy and sweep the floor for the MN District 31 basketball tourney games.  In the early days there was a dirt floor with a wood floor installed for basketball and a big net around it to keep the balls from going onto the dirt.  I got to sit at the end of the court inside the net and retrieve any balls that went into the net.  Also saw a lot of great UND men's and women's basketball games in there with packed houses for NDSU, SDSU, etc.  

Not sure when this pic is from but if you look closely you can see the net in the lower corners of the picture here. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

What year did they switch from this wooden floor to the crappy rubberized floor?  If I remember correctly, the new wooden floor was installed for the 85-86 season.

Looking closer at this photo, it looks like this may have been a regional high school game... it looks like school names over different sections.  Were the state high school tournaments ever played in Hyslop?

42 minutes ago, 61hawk said:

What year did they switch from this wooden floor to the crappy rubberized floor?  If I remember correctly, the new wooden floor was installed for the 85-86 season.

Looking closer at this photo, it looks like this may have been a regional high school game... it looks like school names over different sections.  Were the state high school tournaments ever played in Hyslop?

I ran in a track meet on the rubber floor in 1977 so for sure by then.  not sure how much earlier it was installed  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, SIOUXFAN97 said:

moot point but couldn't they have kept the front entrance and the arena and tore down the practice courts and the pool if they needed the space?

Are they using the Hyslop for anything right now that won't be re-located prior to the demo date???

I love the Hyslop memories as much as anyone else...but it's the product of a bygone era.  If it's not practical and supportive of the mission of UND then it should go if they have the funds/plans to do something better with the space.  I have loved every new facility that's been built since the Kennedy era at UND...I'm excited to see what they can do with this space.  

14 minutes ago, UND08 said:

I'm excited to see what they can do with this space.  

With engineering, math, physics, and chemistry all within about 500 feet that site has long been coveted by the STEM programs. Not sure if they're thinking classrooms or labs or combination. 

UND would be wise to see what NDSU did with AG Hill and Sugihara Halls and do more and better. 

• Upvote 3

On 2/27/2023 at 6:47 AM, The Sicatoka said:

Hyslop has some serious asbestos issues I've been told. 

And Merrifield is "adjacent" to Hyslop ... I guess, if a couple blocks with other buildings between is "adjacent". 

Basically everything except the brick is hot in that building.

Place was an absolute maze. Had to go through the locker room area if you traveled from old classroom area to new. WhIch I guess made it fun. 

Are they tearing everything down including the old intramural gyms and pool? I though those parts were newer. Trying to remember if they were named something different than Hyslop.

On 2/27/2023 at 9:07 AM, The Sicatoka said:

UND has a track record (lately) of putting in new buildings with a "campus feel", see Education and Nistler. They failed doing that with as you call them "Mike Brady" buildings of the 1970s, so they did learn. 

If they're taking Hyslop down there must be an issue. Dare I point out that Memorial was failing structurally and had to come down and that Hyslop is a mere 400 feet away on the same dirt and subsoil? 

Give them a chance to show what they plan to put there. 

When they tore down Memorial did they ever make bricks available for sale. I was fully expecting that and hoped to buy one as a momento. I have them from Yankees Stadium and other stadiums of yesteryear. If this didn't happen seems like a missed opportunity. Feel the same way with Walsh. Have huge family connections and would love to have a piece of that history. .

• Upvote 3

11 hours ago, nodakvindy said:

When they tore down Memorial did they ever make bricks available for sale. I was fully expecting that and hoped to buy one as a momento. I have them from Yankees Stadium and other stadiums of yesteryear. If this didn't happen seems like a missed opportunity. Feel the same way with Walsh. Have huge family connections and would love to have a piece of that history. .

Hopefully they are able to reuse the bricks on an upcoming project.

• Upvote 1

On 3/10/2023 at 11:11 AM, UNDBIZ said:

at first i thought was the west side and i didn't like it (merrifield is nicest/oldest "intact") building on campus...but after reading that it's on the east side and ADA compliant...that works for me....get merry and twamley fiished up. Gonna be nice!

• 1 month later...