SiouxSports.com Forum

Facilities Master Plan

The Sicatoka

7 hours ago, forksandspoons said:

That track setup will be awesome! Where is that new fraternity located? 

I believe those will be FB offices over the Hawkway from the Village to the Pollard. Great view of the field. 

The DU house looks like it's going where the DU house was: Immediately west of Walsh. The black shutter, window, roofline of the neighbor plus the light pole and tree on the boulevard are  good landmarks. They get a lanai* overlooking the English Coulee. 

https://www.google.com/maps/@47.9234829,-97.0754148,3a,75y,311.39h,97.31t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1swPza3dVTQpAj2OA3ushwjg!2e0!7i16384!8i8192 

*It sounds way-cooler when you use the Hawaiian term for patio. ;):D 

• Upvote 2

1 minute ago, UNDBIZ said:

@forksandspoons was the first to spot and post this in the football forum, but I thought it should be seen here as well.  Great news!

Imagine being an athlete and being able to use the indoor practice facility connected to the brand new weight room and other amenities which will be connected via walkway to your brand new apartment building?? That on top of the brand new Memorial Union, business school, and many others...

• Like 3

Get the skyway across 2nd Ave N built and soon you'll be able to walk from the south end zone of the Pollard Center, through the Hawkway, to Memorial Village, across 2nd, across Columbia, to the Swanson ramp, into Swanson, into the new Union ... and never be outdoors* ... and what's the Union connected to now that I'm forgetting. 

*OK, in the ramp you might be ... 

• Upvote 2

20 minutes ago, The Sicatoka said:

Get the skyway across 2nd Ave N built and soon you'll be able to walk from the south end zone of the Pollard Center, through the Hawkway, to Memorial Village, across 2nd, across Columbia, to the Swanson ramp, into Swanson, into the new Union ... and never be outdoors* ... and what's the Union connected to now that I'm forgetting. 

I believe the Union is connected to the law school, library, and the business school.

15 minutes ago, forksandspoons said:

I believe the Union is connected to the law school, library, and the business school.

It is not. Law School is standalone. Library connects to  business college, which connects to Merrifield with plans to connect Merrifield to Twamley in the future.  

• Upvote 1

17 minutes ago, Teeder11 said:

It is not. Law School is standalone. Library connects to  business college, which connects to Merrifield with plans to connect Merrifield to Twamley in the future.  

@Teeder11, we'll get monorail stops in the mean time? ;)  :D    

• Upvote 2

Curiously, UND severed the link between the old Union and McCannell and deliberately did not re-connect the two, and then missed a golden opportunity to incorporate a connector from the old Union to points west in the remodel of the law school.  Then, the library was remodeled and connected to the brand new Nistler business school, which was also connected to Merrifield.

Hopefully, the new Union was designed with a skyway in mind, and the law school can be retrofitted as well.

All this to say, we were just a couple of missed/overlooked strategic decisions away from having a seamless, all-season walkway from Twamley to Merrifield, Nistler, Chester Fritz Library, Law School, Memorial Union, McCannell, Abbott, O'Kelly, Swanson, and the parking garage.

4 hours ago, The Sicatoka said:

IIRC, the third floor breezeway in the garage is climate controlled, or at least walled/windowed off from the parking area itself.

12 hours ago, NoiseInsideMyHead said:

IIRC, the third floor breezeway in the garage is climate controlled, or at least walled/windowed off from the parking area itself.

I should've looked on Google Earth. One glass exterior, south side, third level -> climate controlled walkway. 

@NoiseInsideMyHead, @SIOUXFAN97, nailed it. 

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

It will be a softball-only facility. Appears they are looking to rent it out to Central, Red River and other area schools. Should be able to be ready in the spring before most of the other fields, which will be an overall positive for the community.

Parking will be a little bit tougher, but shouldn't have a material impact on traffic. That parking lot currently looks like a bombed out warzone, so anything they do will be an improvement. Looks like they are adding additional parking to the east of the proposed facility and the HPC.

The over-Columbia "Bridge to Nowhere" goes somewhere!  :D 

I like that they show an overhead walkway going south, but to what?
Another freestanding tower down the the Hawk-way?
All the way to MVI would be a heck of a span. 

• Like 2

59 minutes ago, The Sicatoka said:

The over-Columbia "Bridge to Nowhere" goes somewhere!  :D 

I like that they show an overhead walkway going south, but to what?
Another freestanding tower down the the Hawk-way?
All the way to MVI would be a heck of a span. 

If you look in the top photo, you can see just a sliver of the the new overhead walkway connecting to Memorial Village I.

https://campus.und.edu/facilities-management/_files/docs/2022-master-plan-supplemental-planning/2022-sasaki-site-planning-updated.pdf

It was also illustrated on page 9 of the UND facilities master plan.

4 hours ago, SIOUXFAN97 said:

is this public / private?  if public why is this the first most people have heard/seen of this...isn't fundraising a thing anymore to help these along?

I think this one, specifically, was planned as public/private many years ago.  

1 hour ago, nodak651 said:

I think this one, specifically, was planned as public/private many years ago.  

Not certain the softball portion was top priority until a donor stepped up and had a timeline that has pushed it forward quicker.