SiouxSports.com Forum

Facilities Master Plan

The Sicatoka

On 9/15/2022 at 11:27 AM, Kab said:

This one speeds up traffic both for students and vehicles 

also safer and warmer in the winter 

Alot nicer and safer feeling than the underpass between memorial and the Hyslop as well. And you can stay inside atleast to the Union. Not sure after the new union was built If they extended the building connections. 

22 minutes ago, Wildfan said:

Alot nicer and safer feeling than the underpass between memorial and the Hyslop as well. And you can stay inside atleast to the Union. Not sure after the new union was built If they extended the building connections. 

Going through a "tunnel" was a thrill as a real young kid before basketball and hockey games.

The innocence of youth....

• Upvote 2

2 hours ago, Frozen4sioux said:

Going through a "tunnel" was a thrill as a real young kid before basketball and hockey games.

The innocence of youth....

That and youth always are fascinated by puddles. When I was going through school this tunnel always smelled terrible and had standing water on the ground from water seeping in cracks. Benefit though was the heat worked.

On 9/23/2022 at 1:36 PM, Wildfan said:

That and youth always are fascinated by puddles. When I was going through school this tunnel always smelled terrible and had standing water on the ground from water seeping in cracks. Benefit though was the heat worked.

Those puddles that smelled terrible weren't all just standing water. Or so guys that lived in East Hall informed me. 

• Upvote 1

Some pretty big things in that announcement. I also noticed it doesn't say "still actively fundraising" under the Phase II portion, so that's likely a good sign that its finally a "go".

• Would bring the softball program on campus for first time in program history 
  • Addition of practice court to the Betty  

• Re-imagined endzone seating for basketball and volleyball games 

• Ray Richards ideas I've seen are pretty cool as well

2 minutes ago, jdub27 said:

Some pretty big things in that announcement. I also noticed it doesn't say "still actively fundraising" under the Phase II portion, so that's likely a good sign that its finally a "go".

• Would bring the softball program on campus for first time in program history 
  • Addition of practice court to the Betty  

• Re-imagined endzone seating for basketball and volleyball games 

• Ray Richards ideas I've seen are pretty cool as well

I’m really interested in the endzone seating at the Betty. Thought for a long time that needs to be updated. Wish we could make it more of a bowl. 

5 minutes ago, sioux24/7 said:

I’m really interested in the endzone seating at the Betty. Thought for a long time that needs to be updated. Wish we could make it more of a bowl. 

The original plan for the Betty was much nicer layout and I believe was supposed to be a bowl seating. But If I remember right the plans were changed and simplified for 2 reasons. 1. Finding and 2. To hurry up completion for the world Juniors so there was not a construction zone and to be used for some festivities during that time.

17 minutes ago, The Sicatoka said:

Two items caught my eye ... 

•    Replacement to the turf and track on current Memorial Field <- didn't realize that was in scope 
•    Addition of practice court to the Betty <- Will this allow permanent "bowl it out" seating

Will that practice court just be behind one of the permanent end seats? 

22 minutes ago, Hardcore Hawk said:

Is there space?
My brain says the original renderings showed four BB courts side by side running E/W and game day config as is today (one court N/S). 

What's the plan? Leave the main space always in game day config? To do that you'd almost have to add on. 

1 hour ago, Hardcore Hawk said:

Permanent?  I hope so. 

They used the same verbiage for the Betty as they used for the re-imagined end seating at the Alerus.  We certain they aren't replacing the risers with a drink rail and a black curtain to block the view?

1 minute ago, nodak651 said:

Permanent?  I hope so. 

They used the same verbiage for the Betty as they used for the re-imagined end seating at the Alerus.  We certain they aren't replacing the risers with a drink rail and a black curtain to block the view?

I believe the practice court will be an addition to the building where the small parking lot is located on the north side.

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, SD UND said:

I believe the practice court will be an addition to the building where the small parking lot is located on the north side.

I think so too.  At least that's where it was on the 2018 master plan.
I don't think that necessarily means anything in regard to what the re-imagined seating will look like, though.  
https://campus.und.edu/facilities-management/planning-process.html
image.png.c710c80097c612d601a4ef157dd966d5.png

(It says 2022, but as of this moment, the Athletics Plan is 2018's)

Following where @nodak651 pointed ( https://campus.und.edu/facilities-management/_files/docs/2022-master-plan-supplemental-planning/athletics-masterplan-2018.pdf ) on page 11 of the PDF, there's a four-court complex (building) attached on the north end of the Betty. 

That would replace all the practice space they presently have in the Betty in practice config and it would allow the Betty to be strongly* configured to a bowl setup. 

*Not so bold as to say permanently.