SiouxSports.com Forum

Facilities Master Plan

The Sicatoka

1 hour ago, Siouxperfan7 said:

Instead of building seperate volleyball/basketball practice courts sonnected to the Betty, why not just convert the Olypic rink to a facility with basketball/volleyball courts, new locker rooms, weight room, offices, film room, etc.  Seems like a better use of the space.  Plus a renovated Betty with a state of the art practive facility would deffiniely help recruting and transfers.  Just a thought.

You're talking in a bit of a circle: You say a practice facility would help a program ... and then take one away from hockey?

Hockey uses the Olympic for off-season work and training and camps and prep for big rinks and when the main sheet is otherwise unavailable (like a concert last weekend). 

The plan is to have a game facility and a practice facility for the Ralph and the Betty. See page 11/25. 

• Upvote 1

56 minutes ago, Siouxperfan7 said:

Here's a question.  Does the hockey team really need an Olympic sized ice sheet to practive on?  There are only 6 schools thgat use an Olymnpic sheet and really only one we play consistently (SCSU).  It made sense when we had the wopmens team to avoid ice time conflicts.  But is it really necessary now?  Instead of building seperate volleyball/basketball practice courts sonnected to the Betty, why not just convert the Olypic rink to a facility with basketball/volleyball courts, new locker rooms, weight room, offices, film room, etc.  Seems like a better use of the space.  Plus a renovated Betty with a state of the art practive facility would deffiniely help recruting and transfers.  Just a thought.

Yes. Because,  that is where the donor wanted his money to go. 

• Upvote 1

18 minutes ago, iramurphy said:

Yes. Because,  that is where the donor wanted his money to go. 

Agree.  St. Cloud will likely reduce the size of their ice sheet at some point, and I believe the Gophers are doing so this summer, and New Hampshire is planning to or has already reduced their Olympic sheet as well.  When St. Cloud finally does that, I think it would make sense to reduce the size of UND's olympic sheet.  At that point, it would also make sense to utilize the extra 15 feet for basketball/volleyball renovations (locker room expansion/lounge areas, etc.).

57 minutes ago, The Sicatoka said:

You're talking in a bit of a circle: You say a practice facility would help a program ... and then take one away from hockey?

Hockey uses the Olympic for off-season work and training and camps and prep for big rinks and when the main sheet is otherwise unavailable (like a concert last weekend). 

The plan is to have a game facility and a practice facility for the Ralph and the Betty. See page 11/25. 

So maybe the better question is does the Ralph need an Olympic facility?  I feel like they could reduce the size and upgrade the extra space appropriately.  You are right.  Hockey needs a second rink.  Maybe just not the size it is now.

Looking forward to seeing an upgraded Betty, new practive courts and maybe even a ptential upgrade to the Olympic rink.  

I would resist any downgrade to one program to shift resources unless absolutely necessary. I’m not saying giving up the larger ice sheet is a down grade. I would defer that to the hockey staff and Admin staff and the Engelstad foundation for input. Adding seating around the large ice sheet could increase opportunities for hockey tournaments for the community. I agree we should be able to rework/ upgrade facilities for MBB, WBB and VB. In addition to increased seating capacity, we need enough court space so MBB and WBB can hold in- season practices at the same time. I haven’t seen their locker rooms but for 15-18 players they should be top notch for all three teams. 
Lounge and study facilities could possibly be shared. I would try to get input from athletes and coaches regarding the feasibility. They could each have dedicated meeting space but every square foot needs $.
I’ve never liked isolating athletic teams from each other or even from the general student population. However,  these are different times. Sharing study space might  be beneficial for social interactions, but also could better utilize tutors and supervision of study hall attendance when required. It might even be a positive recruiting tool. Just food for thought. 

• Upvote 1

7 hours ago, nodak651 said:

Another example of a fundraising web page which UND doesn't think is necessary for some reason: https://tommiesports.com/feature/lee-and-penny-anderson-arena

Is that a fundraising page? To me it's an announcement page. I had to look for a "donate" area and finally found it under "Get Involved" ... and most of that page is season tickets and then one Y/N radio button about donate at the bottom

5 minutes ago, The Sicatoka said:

Is that a fundraising page? To me it's an announcement page. I had to look for a "donate" area and finally found it under "Get Involved" ... and most of that page is season tickets and then one Y/N radio button about donate at the bottom

OK..  Where is UND's announcement page?  St. Thomas was still a D3 school when UND started fundraising for phase two of the HPC... pretty clear by now that UND's athletics fundraising isn't the example to follow.  

47 minutes ago, nodak651 said:

OK..  Where is UND's announcement page?  St. Thomas was still a D3 school when UND started fundraising for phase two of the HPC... pretty clear by now that UND's athletics fundraising isn't the example to follow.  

Things run a little differently for a public University in North Dakota as compared to a private school in Minnesota.  Also helps when you get when you get a check for $75M.

1 hour ago, nodak651 said:

Really bad apples and oranges to compare with a private school based in the cities. 

Honestly, what fraction of the funding of a multi-phase, multi-million dollar facilities plan is garnered though a website "click here to donate"? Fundraising is people/contacts/relationships business. That's why most of it is unheard until announced (see: UStT). 

Now let's turn this sideways: I was planning to donate to finish Phase II and endow all the MIH and FB scholarships after I won the billion-dollar MegaMillions* last month, but woe, without a website I wouldn't know how or where?

*If I had won I'd have had to block DeAnna Carlson-Zink's number. :D 

• Upvote 1

16 minutes ago, The Sicatoka said:

Honestly, what fraction of the funding of a multi-phase, multi-million dollar facilities plan is garnered though a website "click here to donate"? Fundraising is people/contacts/relationships business. That's why most of it is unheard until announced (see: UStT). 

Now let's turn this sideways: I was planning to donate to finish Phase II and endow all the MIH and FB scholarships after I won the billion-dollar MegaMillions* last month, but woe, without a website I wouldn't know how or where?

*If I had won I'd have had to block DeAnna Carlson-Zink's number. :D 

Straw man argument.  Besides, since you didn't have enough money before you won the lottery, DeAnna didn't have your number.  You instead donated the money to your church.

Why does it matter?  Because champions club revenues are stagnant and it allows smaller donors to "buy in".  Small donors can eventually become big donors.  It's a sign of competence and it helps to create excitement.  Because Chaves does not have a track record of success when it comes to fundraising.

2 minutes ago, The Sicatoka said:

Stagnant?
The two highest fundraising years in UND Alumni history are 2021 and 2022. 

https://undalumni.org/file/alumni-documents/financial/2022/UND-Annual-Report-FY22.pdf 

That includes academics and the new business building, etc.  Not what I was referring to.  UND used to publish how much the Champions Club earned every year - had a big check and everything.  Pretty sure they stopped doing that for some reason.