SiouxSports.com Forum

Facilities Master Plan

The Sicatoka

13 hours ago, SIOUXFAN97 said:

is this public / private?  if public why is this the first most people have heard/seen of this...isn't fundraising a thing anymore to help these along?

The "public" in this case is primarily the land (UND) and the TIF from the city. 

9 hours ago, jdub27 said:

Not certain the softball portion was top priority until a donor stepped up and had a timeline that has pushed it forward quicker. 

If that's the case, interesting choice by UND to not publicize a major donation, even if the donor wants to be anonymous.  

57 minutes ago, nodak651 said:

If that's the case, interesting choice by UND to not publicize a major donation, even if the donor wants to be anonymous.  

I'd guess they're waiting for all the hoops and permits of "full go" on construction before saying anything.

That diagram had lots of moving pieces (steam pipe moves, street reconfigurations, skyway, and that's before buildings and stadiums). 

See 10 of 12 here: https://www.grandforksgov.com/home/showpublisheddocument/47674/638191595078670000 

2 hours ago, The Sicatoka said:

The "public" in this case is primarily the land (UND) and the TIF from the city. 

TIF on public land.  I didn't think there was property tax on it.  Who owns the building?  Who pays for the heat and utilities?  

8 minutes ago, Bison Dan said:

TIF on public land.  I didn't think there was property tax on it.  Who owns the building?  Who pays for the heat and utilities?  

https://www.grandforksgov.com/home/showpublisheddocument/47674/638191595078670000 

There's mention of the "land taxes" on 9 of 12. 

I'd expect (<-- supposition by me) Burian and Assoc is the owner based on MVI. 

Dan, because we know you'd never sully yourself and visit GF or UND, MVII is going onto a parking lot that is an eyesore. And yes, that is possible. 

1 hour ago, The Sicatoka said:

https://www.grandforksgov.com/home/showpublisheddocument/47674/638191595078670000 

There's mention of the "land taxes" on 9 of 12. 

I'd expect (<-- supposition by me) Burian and Assoc is the owner based on MVI. 

Dan, because we know you'd never sully yourself and visit GF or UND, MVII is going onto a parking lot that is an eyesore. And yes, that is possible. 

I live 20 minutes from GF so there's that.    Just wanted info on this project that the articles in the paper don't even mention.  The reporting in the Hearld is so poor it's sad.  

1 hour ago, Bison Dan said:

Assuming this deal is similar to the first project on the Memorial Stadium site, Memorial Village will own this building, but not the land the building sits on.

For Memorial Village Phase 1, UND "sold" the land to the Alumni Foundation.  The Alumni Foundation owns the first floor of that project and paid for the construction of that floor.  Memorial Village owns and paid for the construction of floors 2 and above.  UND is leasing the first floor space from the Alumni Foundation.

For Memorial Village Phase 2, I'm guessing the TIF is for construction of the building that I assume Memorial Village will own and be taxed on?  Can probably find more information in NDUS meeting minutes.  Not sure how the softball field would be handled.  

image.thumb.png.9beaf53f33269409a0e532cfcfd3ec20.png

• Upvote 1

Just now, Bison Dan said:

I live 20 minutes from GF so there's that.    Just wanted info on this project that the articles in the paper don't even mention.  The reporting in the Hearld is so poor it's sad.  

Not sure why I subscribe.  Have to find the primary source for pretty much everything they cover to actually understand what's going on.

20 minutes ago, Bison Dan said:

I live 20 minutes from GF so there's that. 

So there's still hope you'll see the light. ;) 

ForumComm papers (other than sports) have become far below par. I really miss Tu-Yuen Tran. 

So there's still hope you'll see the light. ;) 

ForumComm papers (other than sports) have become far below par. I really miss Tu-Yuen Tran. 

Yeah Tran got into trouble with the city for asking questions they didn't like.  

10 minutes ago, Bison Dan said:

Yeah Tran got into trouble with the city for asking questions they didn't like.  

Fargo or Grand Forks?
Correct Answer: Both. ;)  

Tu-Yuen's problem? Nobody in J-school told him his job was to transcribe official press releases. He actually thought he was supposed to be and behave like a real investigative journalist. :0

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, nodak651 said:

Seems this will be discussed at the city council meeting tonight.   https://www.grandforksgov.com/Home/Components/Calendar/Event/9485/459

Quietly tucked into the documents ...

The benefit, it (MVII) will allow UND to vacate additional housing property (i.e.,40 acres, along 42nd, Univ., Sanford, 6th, ... ) for future private development that will generate additional ongoing property tax to support the greater Grand Forks community. 

The area north of CAS/University and west of West/McVey seems the next target for clearing out the blight/eyesores. In a word: Good. 

Area in question: 
https://www.google.com/maps/place/Grand+Forks,+ND/@47.9241245,-97.0861728,435m/data=!3m1!1e3!4m6!3m5!1s0x52c681355bbc5e25:0xb6b94d87c5f3d5a!8m2!3d47.9252568!4d-97.0328547!16zL20vMHlwMjE?entry=ttu

The area north of CAS/University and west of West/McVey seems the next target for clearing out the blight/eyesores. In a word: Good. 

Area in question: 
https://www.google.com/maps/place/Grand+Forks,+ND/@47.9241245,-97.0861728,435m/data=!3m1!1e3!4m6!3m5!1s0x52c681355bbc5e25:0xb6b94d87c5f3d5a!8m2!3d47.9252568!4d-97.0328547!16zL20vMHlwMjE?entry=ttu

speaking of land.......would und ever get their hands on the land whre the school for the blind is?  since schools only last x amount of years now before being torn down what is the life span of the community high (anyone know anyone that has graduated from there?) and the school ofthe blind?

2 hours ago, SIOUXFAN97 said:

speaking of land.......would und ever get their hands on the land whre the school for the blind is?  since schools only last x amount of years now before being torn down what is the life span of the community high (anyone know anyone that has graduated from there?) and the school ofthe blind?

Yea that school is a real eyesore…………

3 hours ago, The Sicatoka said:

Area in question: 

I thought that this was interesting:

UND Softball Complex:  A donor has committed up to $2.5 million of the estimated $4.5 million for the UND Softball Complex.

• Upvote 3

4 minutes ago, FSSD said:

I thought that this was interesting:

UND Softball Complex:  A donor has committed up to $2.5 million of the estimated $4.5 million for the UND Softball Complex.

once again.......fundraising at UND seems lacking............how many people even knew that UND was trying to raise money for x, y, and z?

2 hours ago, SIOUXFAN97 said:

once again.......fundraising at UND seems lacking............how many people even knew that UND was trying to raise money for x, y, and z?

I believe many knew, but I didn’t know what the plan was. I believe the plan was Phae 2 then Softball field. I was told that a parent of one of the SB players put up a very large donation and would like it completed so the kids on the team now will be able to play there. It isn’t going to be big enough for baseball.  
I’m not sure I would agree fundraising is lacking. I’m sure there are areas that UND could do better. 
I think the guys on this forum have done a nice job each year with funding selected projects. Many people who can’t give thousands of dollars could give the cost of a helmet or a uniform etc and I think UND should take advantage of that each year and for all sports. 

12 hours ago, iramurphy said:

I believe the plan was Phase 2 then Softball field. I was told that a parent of one of the SB players put up a very large donation and would like it completed so the kids on the team now will be able to play there.

Exactly. The softball field wasn't a top priority until someone stepped up with a big check and a deadline.
Turns out when you're willing to put your money where your mouth is, you get a much bigger voice.

• Upvote 1

7 minutes ago, jdub27 said:

Exactly. The softball field wasn't a top priority until someone stepped up with a big check and a deadline.
Turns out when you're willing to put your money where your mouth is, you get a much bigger voice.

Based on what I read in those city documents, a (basically surprise, targeted) $2.5 million donation for a field moves things along. 

• Upvote 1