SiouxSports.com Forum

Facilities Master Plan

The Sicatoka

4 minutes ago, Siouxperfan7 said:

So looking at the picured of the new Memorial Village, it shows the football field with just lines for football.  Looking back on an article from 2021, there are soccer field lines on the field.  I wonder if they decided against it since 2021.  In my opinion, playing at Memorial Field  seems like a much better place than playing in front of the REA.  Unless they asked the soccfer coaches and they said they would rather play on grass.

village 1.png

village 2.jpg

Soccer is always preferred on grass

10 minutes ago, jdub27 said:

And they moved their locker rooms to the REA.

Yeah, didn't they back fill a space that opened up because ... nevermind

A couple years ago they played a full season using EGF HS as home pitch while the REA natural surface was tiled and re-sculped. 

• Like 1

On 8/31/2022 at 1:58 PM, The Sicatoka said:

Yeah, didn't they back fill a space that opened up because ... nevermind

A couple years ago they played a full season using EGF HS as home pitch while the REA natural surface was tiled and re-sculped. 

Yeah why not use the Ralph space, I would choose the Ralph too! Better for recruitment too.

1 hour ago, Frozen4sioux said:

Title IX compliancy. Only reason they are there.

Only? No.
One of? Definitely. As mentioned, there was open space and it is literally right outside their field. Makes a whole lot of sense to not let it go to waste and keep all the paperwork stuff in line as well.

20 hours ago, The Sicatoka said:

That and the open locker room space. 

The locker room space WAS the Title IX compliance.

The space could and should have been used to expand The Hockey Academy / hockey facilities, but the accomodations had to made for compliance.

Zero real or rational justification for wasting that prime space on what should be a club sport at best at UND.

My use of "That" was in reference to Title IX compliance.

And if you don't think that (Title IX) is important, I'm not sure what I can say to you. It's only Federal law . <-- I don't have to agree with every law and how it's implemented but you still have to follow them ... and/or work to get them changed. 

And as far as "having the sport", that's on the NCAA. They mandate number of men's and women's sports to be considered DI. Again you don't have to like or agree* with it, but you have to follow the rules. 

*I'm on record more than once that "sport sponsorship" minimums for division levels is ridiculous --> Play what you and your fan base can and will support, nothing more, nothing less, while staying in compliance with Federal law. 

On 9/7/2022 at 11:41 AM, jdub27 said:

Only? No.
One of? Definitely. As mentioned, there was open space and it is literally right outside their field. Makes a whole lot of sense to not let it go to waste and keep all the paperwork stuff in line as well.

Open locker room and close to the field. Title IX just prevents discrimination in athletics, its the reason that the women's track team is bigger than the mens they have to have the same amount of athletes in each gender. title IX doesn't give women a spot in the ralph

18 hours ago, siouxvblove said:

Open locker room and close to the field. Title IX just prevents discrimination in athletics, its the reason that the women's track team is bigger than the mens they have to have the same amount of athletes in each gender. title IX doesn't give women a spot in the ralph

There are a whole lot of pieces to the puzzle.

https://www.ncaa.org/sports/2014/1/27/title-ix-frequently-asked-questions.aspx#how

Athletics programs are considered educational programs and activities. There are three basic parts of Title IX as it applies to athletics: 

1. Participation: Title IX requires that women and men be provided equitable opportunities to participate in sports. Title IX does not require institutions to offer identical sports but an equal opportunity to play;                          
  2. Scholarships: Title IX requires that female and male student-athletes receive athletics scholarship dollars proportional to their participation; and                          
  3. Other benefits: Title IX requires the equal treatment of female and male student-athletes in the provisions of: (a) equipment and supplies; (b) scheduling of games and practice times; (c) travel and daily allowance/per diem; (d) access to tutoring; (e) coaching, (f) locker rooms, practice and competitive facilities; (g) medical and training facilities and services; (h) housing and dining facilities and services; (i) publicity and promotions; (j) support services and (k) recruitment of student-athletes.

19 hours ago, siouxvblove said:

watch it buddy.....get educated. or get canceled.

On 9/11/2022 at 8:23 PM, siouxvblove said:

Yeah, unfortunately just a lack of education on this but yes locker rooms and equal accomodations is a very big part of the title IX provision as Jdub posted

The women's hockey team in the REA satisfied the requirement, so they literally had to plug some women's team in there instead of using the space for something worthwhile.

The fact it is close to what would be better used as additional parking i.e. the soccer field...... was just coincidence.

I think a majority of the time title IX has some done very important things, however sometimes the need to be in compliance overrides the best interests of all people involved.