SiouxSports.com Forum

Prospective Recruits

dagies

7 hours ago, siouxforce19 said:

No. I’d rather bring in our recruits. 

I'm guessing if Berry wants to bring Senden and Hain back, there wouldn't be a lot of room to dip in the portal and still bring in the guys in juniors that need to be here.  Hopefully guys like McGlaughlin and Blake can make an immediate impact, as we could use some offensive punch to go along with the units we have coming back, although I am guessing that Kunz and Schmaltz will become more consistent next year.

46 minutes ago, tnt said:

I'm guessing if Berry wants to bring Senden and Hain back, there wouldn't be a lot of room to dip in the portal and still bring in the guys in juniors that need to be here.  Hopefully guys like McGlaughlin and Blake can make an immediate impact, as we could use some offensive punch to go along with the units we have coming back, although I am guessing that Kunz and Schmaltz will become more consistent next year.

Like it’s different when you lose a lot of guys like we did last year and transfers make sense. This year is completely different. Very small senior class and looking like minimal early departures so it doesn’t seem necessary to be looking at transfers. 

10 minutes ago, siouxforce19 said:

Like it’s different when you lose a lot of guys like we did last year and transfers make sense. This year is completely different. Very small senior class and looking like minimal early departures so it doesn’t seem necessary to be looking at transfers. 

But in the same token, we would have made room for Logan Cooley, so you should be able to make room for a difference maker that has already proven themselves.  Cooley could likely be the same situation as a one and done, and will most likely have some growing to do on the defensive end, and it is no guarantee he will rip it up against older guys on the offensive end either.  I get what you are saying, especially with using it as a stop gap, but if you find a guy that can score 15-20 goals and transform your power play and plug him into your lineup, you certainly have to take a look, as long as you have done your due diligence on whether he fits the culture and isn't going to be a polarizing person. 

I think Hain comes back. Sendo less likely as I bet he'll get AHL offers. He plays a great defensive game in all three zones, great motor and effort, and all the intangibles. I don't see anyone other than Sandy leaving early. 

Probably going to need to grab a transfer D and maybe one more forward, but I'd expect to see us lean heavy on our current recruiting pipeline next year and that's a plus. 

4 minutes ago, stoneySIOUX said:

I think Hain comes back. Sendo less likely as I bet he'll get AHL offers. He plays a great defensive game in all three zones, great motor and effort, and all the intangibles. I don't see anyone other than Sandy leaving early. 

Probably going to need to grab a transfer D and maybe one more forward, but I'd expect to see us lean heavy on our current recruiting pipeline next year and that's a plus. 

Plus they said Senden got married, or is getting married, so that could make a career move more likely. 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, stoneySIOUX said:

It’ll be really interesting to see which guys on other teams decide to take a 5th year. Sounds like the pro opportunities for college free agents were really slim last year which is why a lot of guys ended up taking a 5th year. Be interesting to see if that’s changed since last year. 

• Upvote 1

On 2/25/2022 at 9:57 AM, siouxforce19 said:

It’ll be really interesting to see which guys on other teams decide to take a 5th year. Sounds like the pro opportunities for college free agents were really slim last year which is why a lot of guys ended up taking a 5th year. Be interesting to see if that’s changed since last year. 

Unless UND loses someone to pro hockey or someone entering the portal, I don’t see much room for both Hain and Senden to come back, as they would be pretty full at forward with the following possibilities.

Costantini - Blake - Gaber

McGlaughlin - Schmaltz - Calder

Caulfield - Kunz - Strinden

Senden - Jamernik - Hain

Albrecht - Ness- Portz

Montgomery - Budy

I suspect we'll see Senden and Hain go. They're the last 2 of 9. 

Ford and Driscoll time out. 

At this point, Sanderson should probably stay and get stronger, and I never expected to see that in October. His game is NHL ready, but I'm not sure his body is given the games he's missed. Somebody call Tyson Jost and hand Jake Sanderson the phone. That said, I expect he'll go. 

That's needing 3F, 1D, 1G. 

10 hours ago, tnt said:

Unless UND loses someone to pro hockey or someone entering the portal, I don’t see much room for both Hain and Senden to come back, as they would be pretty full at forward with the following possibilities.

Senden / Hain won't be back. Two major reasons, (1) Berry knows he needs to increase the talent level of the Forward group, they are signed are ready to come in (2) Guys on the current roster that have proven they can play the Senden / Hain roll effectively. 

The first three that would come in to back fill Senden / Hain / Ford are Blake / McLaughlin / Strinden. I really want to emphasize the need to bring in James as well. They cannot lose him because he doesn't want to be pushed back a year. Need to find another spot.

Mods: You can probably move this discussion.

8 minutes ago, AJS said:

Senden / Hain won't be back. Two major reasons, (1) Berry knows he needs to increase the talent level of the Forward group, they are signed are ready to come in (2) Guys on the current roster that have proven they can play the Senden / Hain roll effectively. 

The first three that would come in to back fill Senden / Hain / Ford are Blake / McLaughlin / Strinden. I really want to emphasize the need to bring in James as well. They cannot lose him because he doesn't want to be pushed back a year. Need to find another spot.

Mods: You can probably move this discussion.

Of the 3 incoming guys, are there any as good as Ford on Faceoffs?

On 2/25/2022 at 8:32 AM, stoneySIOUX said:

Getting Hain and Senden back would be huge. If possible. 

2 hours ago, gfhockey said:

Was told this morning at coffee from very reliable source Ottawa wanted to Sanderson to hang up the skates and come to Ottawa now for rehab and such

Was this before or after the 10 Keystone Lights? 

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, Goon said:

What do mean? Senden and Hain are huge at shutting down opponents. They have chemistry with Jammer, too. 

I think we can all agree that Jammer / Ness / Albrecht can fill the roll of shutting down opponents. What I mean by short sided is you're saying you'd rather keep Senden / Hain for one year and lose McLaughlin (Top 10) and Strinden (Top 15) in USHL points who could be phenomenal 3 and 4 year guys? I'm confident in saying that Blake / McLaughlin / Strinden and I'll include James will be playing college hockey next year. Really hope it's at UND. I'm also a big believer in balancing the classes. The NCAA tournament is such a crap shoot that losing 5/6 guys every year and cycling that way is the best formula to be consistently good. 

Note: It will be at UND. Senden / Hain / Ford will move on and my guess is you'll see one guy hit the portal. 

42 minutes ago, AJS said:

I think we can all agree that Jammer / Ness / Albrecht can fill the roll of shutting down opponents. What I mean by short sided is you're saying you'd rather keep Senden / Hain for one year and lose McLaughlin (Top 10) and Strinden (Top 15) in USHL points who could be phenomenal 3 and 4 year guys? I'm confident in saying that Blake / McLaughlin / Strinden and I'll include James will be playing college hockey next year. Really hope it's at UND. I'm also a big believer in balancing the classes. The NCAA tournament is such a crap shoot that losing 5/6 guys every year and cycling that way is the best formula to be consistently good. 

Note: It will be at UND. Senden / Hain / Ford will move on and my guess is you'll see one guy hit the portal. 

Has James made it clear he is next year or not at all?

Very much agree on their role being filled.

6 minutes ago, AlphaMikeFoxtrot said:

Has James made it clear he is next year or not at all?

Very much agree on their role being filled.

No, that's just my opinion. I look at it as you have a guy in his 2nd year of Juniors (1 AJHL / 1 USHL). Most likely a 3rd / 4th round pick this summer. 2nd in rookie scoring in the league (Tied 32nd overall). Already playing on the top line in Sioux City. I don't look at his body of work and think he needs to prove more. He very much could see value in staying in the USHL and hopefully dominating (Think Top 10) and then step into a bigger roll potentially as a Freshman. We'll see on that. The Morrow situation is pretty fresh, I would just really hate to lose a guy because he doesn't want to spend another year in Juniors and who could blame them.