SiouxSports.com Forum

Prospective Recruits

dagies

34 minutes ago, SIOUXELEVENS said:

Are we recruiting Tyson Dyck? Seems to be tearing up the BCHL. 

https://bchl.ca/bc-born-tyson-dyck

Even after his fantastic start to the year, Dyck has yet to accomplish one of his main goals since joining the BCHL – earning a scholarship to an NCAA Division I program. That announcement is likely coming soon though as he has proven himself to be one of the top players in the league at 17-years-old.

When it comes time to choose a school to play for in the next step of his career, the running theme of academics comes up again.

“I want a school that has a good balance of education, but I also want a school that can get me to the next level,” said Dyck. “As much as education is important, hockey is still the goal. I want to play for a team that can help me reach the NHL at some point in my career.”

Given his play this year and his immense potential as a hockey player, he likely has a long list of colleges vying for his services.

Article doesn't mention any potential schools that might be after him though.

34 minutes ago, SIOUXELEVENS said:

Would think we would be interested.  Wish there was a way to flip Matthew Wood though, as he is leading the league in goals and points despite playing fewer games than most,  and he is an ‘05!

On 2/18/2022 at 7:33 AM, SIOUXELEVENS said:

Why would a player not want to play here / NCHC? 
Barn is best in the country, training area is world class , charter flights to away games very few bus rides. Play in a full barn with very loyal fans. Basically get treated like royals, Berry better figure this out because this will fall on his shoulders if we have a very hard working team but lacking on talent.no reason not to play here unless Berrys style of play or personality does fit with there players. I can’t quite figure out what the draw of the big 10 is especially in Minnesota , no fans no excitement .

I recently watched an interview with Wolverine Kent Johnson and it came down to two schools for him he said….Michigan and UND. He didn’t go into details as to why he didn’t choose UND but he was complimentary of the program. Who knows why a kid ultimately chooses the program he ends up at, it could be a myriad of reasons. 

Check out this interview from a few months back. Great interview with Johnson but go to about the 42:30 mark to hear what he had to say about choosing Michigan and not North Dakota.

I wonder if it isn't size of the community and things that are available to them in larger schools and communities.  I had cousin that was looking at coming to UND and her parents are former students and alumni was impressed with the school but didn't like shopping and things that were not available to her here in Grand Forks. I have to admit that town has taken quite hit with brick and motar businesses in last 5 to 10 years like number  of smaller  cities have in the US. I may be wrong on this but this is what our family has experienced in the last year and she choose to go to Colorado because of this. She said the weather she could handle but not having things she was accustomed too in shopping, entertainment, and dining was factor in her choice.

• Upvote 1

23 minutes ago, ND-fan said:

I wonder if it isn't size of the community and things that are available to them in larger schools and communities.  I had cousin that was looking at coming to UND and her parents are former students and alumni was impressed with the school but didn't like shopping and things that were not available to her here in Grand Forks. I have to admit that town has taken quite hit with brick and motar businesses in last 5 to 10 years like number  of smaller  cities have in the US. I may be wrong on this but this is what our family has experienced in the last year and she choose to go to Colorado because of this. She said the weather she could handle but not having things she was accustomed too in shopping, entertainment, and dining was factor in her choice.

The community itself has got to matter to some.  These kids rarely come directly from small towns in western Canada or Minnesota anymore.   They nearly all play junior hockey in a large city or bigger town before going to college.    Life off the ice in places like Boston, Denver, Minneapolis and even Madison is very different from what it is in GF.   Whether that is a factor that hurts UND much of the time is difficult to tell, I suppose, but the days when kids from Estevan or Warroad identified with UND because of its small town feel are probably on the decline.  

2 hours ago, SIOUXELEVENS said:

Currently two of the top five scorers in the BCHL will be 21 year old freshman at Mankato this fall. Seems like good recruiting by the coaches but will their over ager point production continue in a much older CCHA?

On 2/17/2022 at 12:27 PM, scpa0305 said:

Wow…I knew we weren’t an option, but dang 

We were absolutely an option and the last I heard it was us and Minny. Big get for the Gophs. Chesley and Snuggerud had a big hand in it. 

At the end of the day, it stings to all hell seeing a kid of his caliber not end up in GF, especially since he's going south. 

All of that said, I love our pipeline and considering what kind of "non-blue chippa" lineup UND skated out of Duluth with after sweeping, leading the conference, and firmly planted in the tourney convo, I believe in what our program is doing. 

On 2/18/2022 at 2:24 PM, tnt said:

I think our 2016 championship team is an example of a great way to build a roster.   Get some 1st round talent that stays a couple years like Boeser and Schmaltz, add some overage talent that has developed into NHL caliber guys like Poolman, and LaDue, mix in a couple guys that you developed into NHL talent like Caggiula and Stecher, then  add in some mid round guys like Gersich, Poganski, Luke Johnson, and Wolanin, then fill out with character guys that will go through a brick wall for you, like Trevor Olson, Colten St. Clair, Gage Ausmus, Bryn Chyzyk, and Coltyn Sanderson, and get solid goaltending even from the back ups. (Cam Johnson, Matt Hrynkiw).    That is what I call a balanced roster.   First round talent is certainly a component if you can get them, as long as they don't already have one foot in the NHL.    

With our pipeline the way it is now in the next two years, the way the current team is playing, and players we likely will get back/stay four years, the pieces are coming together ala 2016, IMO.

On 2/19/2022 at 6:27 PM, SiouxScore said:

And quite frankly it isn't acceptable and it just plain sucks. Definitely going to Minnesota and some Wisconsin with a couple Michigan and Notre Dame mixed in but look at a place like Colorado College and what they are doing in the metro, UNO has got a few as well, and then you have Duluth, Mankato, and St. Cloud. We should be going after and landing some of those types. Not sure if the coaching staff isn't focusing there as much or what but it should be our primary recruiting are.

What TC kids did we lose to CC, UNO? Take it a step further, how about Duluth, Mankato, St. Cloud? I'm interested to see which players you're referring to.

On 2/19/2022 at 7:08 PM, SiouxScore said:

I’d certainly take Gleason at CC and Batchelder and Arenholz as commits, Sarsland too although I think he reopened. 

Sorry, I didn't see this until after I replied. My question to you... Are you wanting a guy like Batchelder over a guy like Strinden or James? No way, man. 

13 hours ago, stoneySIOUX said:

Sorry, I didn't see this until after I replied. My question to you... Are you wanting a guy like Batchelder over a guy like Strinden or James? No way, man. 

No I mentioned in another post I didn't realize Batchelder and Arenholz are scheduled to come in next season. I thought each would have another year of juniors. If they are actually coming in next season that is probably part of the reason they are going where they are.

• Upvote 1

16 hours ago, ND-fan said:

16 hours ago, burd said:

The community itself has got to matter to some.  These kids rarely come directly from small towns in western Canada or Minnesota anymore.   They nearly all play junior hockey in a large city or bigger town before going to college.    Life off the ice in places like Boston, Denver, Minneapolis and even Madison is very different from what it is in GF.   Whether that is a factor that hurts UND much of the time is difficult to tell, I suppose, but the days when kids from Estevan or Warroad identified with UND because of its small town feel are probably on the decline.  

The size of GF can be a problem.  Berry alludes to this when he talks about the recruiting process.  Its at 29:20  

41 minutes ago, AlphaMikeFoxtrot said:

Do we have room for any grad transfers next year? Some potential pick ups:

Taylor Ward

AJ Vanderbeck

Owen Sillinger

Brian Halonen

Trenton Bliss

Not going to say who, but wouldn't be surprised to see a current player or two cut loose.

No. I’d rather bring in our recruits. 

• Upvote 1