SiouxSports.com Forum

Prospective Recruits

dagies

Just now, jk said:

I still like next year's group quite a bit, and the pipeline in general, but Motzko has definitely had the upper hand the last year or so.  Chesley, Moore and Cooley.  That hurts. 

With our tradition, facilities, community support and wide range of academic offerings, it shouldn't happen as much as it does.

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, cberkas said:

Haven’t been impressed with Berry as a recruiter.

Losing the recruiting battles to many time lately. 

I'm not happy with this one either, but they seem to be doing ok in general.  I mean, they finished #1 in the PWR the last two years, and they're hanging in there this year after graduating over half the team.  You can't do that without good recruiting and coaching. 

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, fightingsioux4life said:

With our tradition, facilities, community support and wide range of academic offerings, it shouldn't happen as much as it does.

Academics are not a plus compared to some of the competition .  It's also like Siberia for a chunk of the season. I don't know Cooley's story, but we should never ever be surprised when a metro kid picks MN. 

7 minutes ago, jk said:

I still like next year's group quite a bit, and the pipeline in general, but Motzko has definitely had the upper hand the last year or so.  Chesley, Moore and Cooley.  That hurts. 

Are they looking to copy Michigan in turning over players in a one and done or two years at most scenario?   We have yet to see proof that works.  We will see if Michigan can change that this year. 

37 minutes ago, cberkas said:

Haven’t been impressed with Berry as a recruiter.

Losing the recruiting battles to many time lately. 

Starting to agree. We got some nice ones, for sure, but it’s 1 here and there. Not an entire crop like these bigger schools have been getting. Most of our high end recruits are dmen. 

but it’s college puck, keeping guys around longer has proven to be a recipe for success. The need to keep hammering the trail 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

59 minutes ago, jk said:

Academics are not a plus compared to some of the competition .  It's also like Siberia for a chunk of the season. I don't know Cooley's story, but we should never ever be surprised when a metro kid picks MN. 

Is this where you tell me how tropical St. Cloud, Denver, Ann Arbor, Duluth and Minneapolis are compared to Grand Forks? That argument doesn't wash with MBB and it doesn't wash here.

49 minutes ago, The Sicatoka said:

Right or wrong, like it or not, quality of play be damned, that "B1G" conference name carries panache that impresses starry-eyed recruits. 

36 minutes ago, gfhockey said:

And they are getting NIL

So we are on our way to being relegated to Mid-Major status in Men's Hockey? That is unacceptable (Copyright @Goon 2022 ALL Rights Reserved). We better figure out how to deal with NIL, FCOA and whatever else comes up or making the tournament will become our main goal every year.

50 minutes ago, The Sicatoka said:

Right or wrong, like it or not, quality of play be damned, that "B1G" conference name carries panache that impresses starry-eyed recruits. 

Then their teams should be better than they are. Hockey is second at best in importance at most of those schools, usually third or lower.

2 hours ago, fightingsioux4life said:

I certainly agree that UND should be in the mix for most high end, NHL-bound kids, but Minn and Mich have just as much tradition and UND is no match for any big ten school's range of academic offerings.  I have two degrees from UND and am grateful for them, but there are many high end hockey programs out there at schools with quite a bit more to offer in academics, fellowships, internships, etc.    

8 minutes ago, burd said:

I certainly agree that UND should be in the mix for most high end, NHL-bound kids, but Minn and Mich have just as much tradition and UND is no match for any big ten school's range of academic offerings.  I have two degrees from UND and am grateful for them, but there are many high end hockey programs out there at schools with quite a bit more to offer in academics, fellowships, internships, etc.    

Hockey players and high end education, let me think about that one! :)

46 minutes ago, burd said:

Then explain Duluth and Denver. They don't seem to have problems recruiting top talent. Nor St. Cloud State for that matter. And nobody can beat REA for facilities. Enough excuses.