SiouxSports.com Forum

Prospective Recruits

dagies

44 minutes ago, brianvf said:

Yeah that's a tough one when it was down to just us and UMN.  Different if he was down to UMN and like BC/BU/MI or something, but if we were in the mix...makes it tougher.
Can't win them all, but certainly want to win some of them.

When’s last won we won vs then offer to offer 

not walk ons

10 hours ago, scpa0305 said:

I thought we were talking about Cooley?

I thought it had moved to a broader, when did we ever beat them?, discussion, based on a string of misses.  Cooley is a great win, but the others were TC kids. 

8 hours ago, jk said:

I thought it had moved to a broader, when did we ever beat them?, discussion, based on a string of misses.  Cooley is a great win, but the others were TC kids. 

We used to get high end TC kids..it’s been a while now. Blake is the only one we’ve gotten lately and that one was kind of obvious…and was awhile ago. Lately we haven’t gotten any high end TC kids (that I can think of. They’re going UM or other big ten schools 

1 hour ago, scpa0305 said:

We used to get high end TC kids..it’s been a while now. Blake is the only one we’ve gotten lately and that one was kind of obvious…and was awhile ago. Lately we haven’t gotten any high end TC kids (that I can think of. They’re going UM or other big ten schools 

And quite frankly it isn't acceptable and it just plain sucks. Definitely going to Minnesota and some Wisconsin with a couple Michigan and Notre Dame mixed in but look at a place like Colorado College and what they are doing in the metro, UNO has got a few as well, and then you have Duluth, Mankato, and St. Cloud. We should be going after and landing some of those types. Not sure if the coaching staff isn't focusing there as much or what but it should be our primary recruiting are.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, brianvf said:

Have the TC ever been UND's primary recruiting area?

Probably not the primary but a primary like a 1A/1B type thing and it seemed that way in the Hak years. And maybe I shouldn't say metro but more just Minnesota as a whole and then GF/Fargo with the rise in talent in the region would be my primary focus. Off the top of my head TC guys Finley, Blood, Kristo, Gleason, Mattson, Gaarder, Poganski, Boeser, Gersich, Shaw. 

I seriously doubt UND has been after anyone CC and UNO have landed, and getting beaten by SC and UMD for recruits is also probably rare.  Not that the latter two have not done fantastic jobs lately overall, but they are very good at finding late bloomers.  In Sandy's case, he has also benefited from the local assembly line. The kind of TC kids UND wants are the type MN wants as well, which makes it tough.  They snagged Boeser during the height of Lucia's drag on the program, but it's been very rare over the decades for UND to get a top TC kid.  

• Upvote 1

23 minutes ago, jk said:

I seriously doubt UND has been after anyone CC and UNO have landed, and getting beaten by SC and UMD for recruits is also probably rare.  Not that the latter two have not done fantastic jobs lately overall, but they are very good at finding late bloomers.  In Sandy's case, he has also benefited from the local assembly line. The kind of TC kids UND wants are the type MN wants as well, which makes it tough.  They snagged Boeser during the height of Lucia's drag on the program, but it's been very rare over the decades for UND to get a top TC kid.  

I’d certainly take Gleason at CC and Batchelder and Arenholz as commits, Sarsland too although I think he reopened. 

3 hours ago, SiouxScore said:

I’d certainly take Gleason at CC and Batchelder and Arenholz as commits, Sarsland too although I think he reopened. 

Boy, you sure like those Minnesota boys.  I would take our guys in the USHL, Blake, Strinden, McGlaughlin, James, Perron, and Spicer above them, and most of them are younger.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

16 hours ago, SiouxScore said:

Over who? These days you need to clarify that who knows how they will end up, but are you talking about Cade Ahrenolz (16 points in 38 USHL games as a late '02) and Carter Bachelder (8 points in 39 games as an early '03)? Those are some mediocre to awful numbers. Stats aren't everything, so I'll take your word that UND really missed out.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, tnt said:

Boy, you sure like those Minnesota boys.  I would take our guys in the USHL, Blake, Strinden, McGlaughlin, James, Perron, and Spicer above them, and most of them are younger.

I do I get to see a lot of Minnesota hockey and I know more about those prospects. I would honestly probably have all those guys you listed above those guys as well. I actually really like the group we have coming this year and it is more a future thing. I do not anticipate Arenholz and Batchelder playing college hockey next season but maybe they will actually get to come in for their respective programs and if that is the case that is probably part of the reason they are going there. Really want to see Blake put on a line with Gaber next season.