SiouxSports.com Forum

Prospective Recruits

dagies

6 hours ago, SpudsSioux said:

Yup! Tim actually coaches that team with Matt Cullen. There are a few kids to keep an eye on there. Obviously Laurila is very very good, but Garrett Lindberg is also very good. Reminds me of Troy Stecher. 

They have a Kraft and a Cullen on that team too. They have four Cullen's on the peewee AA team. Ethan's youngest brother is on the squirt AA team along with Laurila's little brother and Kraft's little brother. It'll be interesting to watch these kids as they grow up.

On 3/17/2022 at 8:55 AM, SpudsSioux said:

Sam Laurila from Moorhead got an invite to the NTDP tryout camp as a Bantam AA.  He was up for Pee Wee player of the year in Minnesota and now up for Bantam AA as well.  Hope we're in on him!

https://www.usahockeyntdp.com/news_article/show/1213813

Another kid on that roster is John Whipple from Excelsior. I know exactly zero about him except that he's got an outstanding name. Getting players with great names (a la Ben Blood) is vastly underrated in recruiting.

"And Whipple whips the pucks into the net for a game-winning gooaaaaalll!"

On 3/17/2022 at 8:55 AM, SpudsSioux said:

Sam Laurila from Moorhead got an invite to the NTDP tryout camp as a Bantam AA.  He was up for Pee Wee player of the year in Minnesota and now up for Bantam AA as well.  Hope we're in on him!

https://www.usahockeyntdp.com/news_article/show/1213813

I’ve seen that team play. They are very very good. Laurila is high end for sure…there’s a Lindberg kid that may have the highest ceiling though. Offensively dynamic, however on the smaller side. Both will be ones to watch moving into HS.

4 hours ago, scpa0305 said:

I’ve seen that team play. They are very very good. Laurila is high end for sure…there’s a Lindberg kid that may have the highest ceiling though. Offensively dynamic, however on the smaller side. Both will be ones to watch moving into HS.

Agreed. Lindberg is legit. Like I said above, probably best comparison is Stecher. Unbelievable skater so his gap is always good, great stick, very sound defensively. High compete level and offensively dynamic like you said. He’s smaller now but grew quite a bit the last year and his older brother is 6 feet so wouldn’t be surprised if he ends up being pretty good size. 

• 2 weeks later...
11 minutes ago, brianvf said:

https://www.ushl.com/news_article/show/1216926

Both former UND commits.  Halliday now going to OSU and Miller unknown, of course.

What was the deal w/ Halliday? Yes, he was not drafted in his eligible NHL draft year. Did coaches tell him he needed another year in the USHL (which he clearly needed, speed, getting used to his size) and he took offense? How is a guy this good + skill and size going to crapy OSU? I am perplexed...

What the hell happened here? 

11 minutes ago, SiouxForever said:

What was the deal w/ Halliday? Yes, he was not drafted in his eligible NHL draft year. Did coaches tell him he needed another year in the USHL (which he clearly needed, speed, getting used to his size) and he took offense? How is a guy this good + skill and size going to crapy OSU? I am perplexed...

Getting passed over twice in the NHL draft with his size may suggest some concerns.  Would guess he gets drafted this year, but how his skills translate when everyone is faster and bigger could be the reason for hesitancy. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, SiouxForever said:

His skating was really bad and he wasn’t in great shape. I heard we went a different direction and that must have woken him up a bit. I’ve heard his skating has improved a ton. He’s always been a highly skilled/smart player. Sat in the ushl for a long time and developed. He’ll walk right into a top 6/pp role at OSU next year. I could see him going in the 3rd/5th round this summer. 

• Like 1

On 3/29/2022 at 8:41 PM, scpa0305 said:

His skating was really bad and he wasn’t in great shape. I heard we went a different direction and that must have woken him up a bit. I’ve heard his skating has improved a ton. He’s always been a highly skilled/smart player. Sat in the ushl for a long time and developed. He’ll walk right into a top 6/pp role at OSU next year. I could see him going in the 3rd/5th round this summer. 

My nephew played with him the past 2 years at St Cloud Lumberjacks. Says he's a great teammate and a very solid Dman. 

Ture Linden would be an interesting add. This portal stuff is nuts…may change the way programs like UND recruit. You may see them go after only blue chips and basically plucking everyone else from the portal. Obviously I’m m exaggerating a bit. But you get the point.

3 hours ago, scpa0305 said:

Ture Linden would be an interesting add. This portal stuff is nuts…may change the way programs like UND recruit. You may see them go after only blue chips and basically plucking everyone else from the portal. Obviously I’m m exaggerating a bit. But you get the point.

If this came to pass, it would be great for the top 20 programs, but horrible for the sport.  The bottom 30 programs or so would be feeders for the top. I understand you were exaggerating a bit, but you may not be far off.

4 minutes ago, scpa0305 said:

Really curious how we missed on a kid like Adam Ingram. Higher end kid from WPG. That should have been a layup 

https://www.eliteprospects.com/player/483377/adam-ingram

Nothing in the stats before this year screamed can’t miss.  Sometimes teams that need to take flyers on players before they prove it at the junior level hit on a player or two.  St. Cloud offered early and it paid off.  That doesn’t always work.  

4 minutes ago, tnt said:

Nothing in the stats before this year screamed can’t miss.  Sometimes teams that need to take flyers on players before they prove it at the junior level hit on a player or two.  St. Cloud offered early and it paid off.  That doesn’t always work.  

Yeah, From what I have read SCSU offered him when the MJHL was basically shut down because of Covid. There was a connection with one of the SCSU coaches so they took a gamble. 

On 4/3/2022 at 8:59 PM, tnt said:

A lot of that is pandemic driven 

On 3/18/2022 at 1:54 PM, scpa0305 said:

I saw them both a couple of times this year.  Definitely stuck out, plus I got an inside scoop from a Moorhead parent on the next great Spuds to watch.  The Cullen kid obviously has some pedigree as well.  Helps when you have a former NHL guy on the bench.  The buy in from that age group to the way he wants to play is outstanding.    

6 hours ago, cberkas said:

Max Strand to Vermont

If only he had committed to Duluth, St. Cloud, or Minnesota, we could see the gnashing of teeth for losing a Minnesota Mr. Hockey to them, and the consternation why we aren't winning battles with them. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

2 minutes ago, tnt said:

If only he had committed to Duluth, St. Cloud, or Minnesota, we could see the gnashing of teeth for losing a Minnesota Mr. Hockey to them, and the consternation why we aren't winning battles with them. 

#hugeloss

#:angry: