SiouxSports.com Forum

UND @ Denver Friday Night

cowboys5xsbs

19 minutes ago, Blackheart said:

Don't underestimate the importance of defensive zone draws against DU.  I believe their first three goals were a result of winning the faceoff in UND's zone and keeping posession until they could get a shot...Sioux seemed to get better in the last two periods in that respect.

You are correct. I had a Birds Eye view unfortunately. Lose the draw and then scramble and get out of position and then boom, goal. 

• Upvote 2

36 minutes ago, siouxfan512 said:

I like the Berg transfer when it happened. Wow!!! That move is looking better and better. The guy just brings it!

Berry and Co really knocked it out of the park with all the transfers this year. All have shown to be valuable assets to this team. 

• Upvote 2

2 hours ago, AlphaMikeFoxtrot said:

On Gaber's goal it was so painfully obvious what they were doing, somehow their players didn't know what to expect though. Their PK is having an extra video session today.

Thought the same thing, Gaber was circling like a vulture and after a few give and gos they just left him alone in his office. Do that and he’s probably scoring on a third or more of those shots. Sure DU has a ton of talent in their top 6 but sure felt like our 3rd and 4th line showed their worth in the last period. We were dominating and looked like we were the team used to playing at altitude. 

• Upvote 2

2 hours ago, AlphaMikeFoxtrot said:

Instant classic. Worthy of a nickname. Ideas?

"Sticks Up" Game: props to Blake for doing it on goal 4, Berg for skating right in front of their bench with it on 7, and everyone who celebrated the W with it after the final buzzer. Keep it going tonight, maybe later in the season too.

"Altitude Room" Game: in the college sports arms race, new must-have amenity just dropped. Does anyone know who is behind it, i.e. NASA, UND aerospace, private sector, etc.?

On Gaber's goal it was so painfully obvious what they were doing, somehow their players didn't know what to expect though. Their PK is having an extra video session today.

Mile High Massacre?   

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Godsmack said:

I’ve noticed a thing DU does where after they score, they skate by the opposing bench with their sticks raised high in the air. They did this all weekend long when they curb stomped CC and I noticed it again last night. I don’t recall seeing any other team doing that, or am I missing something? I didn’t notice UND do it until after their comeback started. Perhaps turnabout is fair play? Wonder if that ticked the UND bench off a little bit when DU was doing that hence Blake and Berg and I think maybe Jamernik doing it during their third period rally. 

Edit: I recall seeing CC’s Noah Laba do it when he scored a pretty breakaway goal for the Tigers in the Saturday game at home in response to DU doing it as well. 

They have been doing it in every game I've seen of Denver's so far.  

What an awesome comeback. Just goes to show that it’s never over until that final buzzer. To come back from 4-1, to win 7-5 really says something about the work ethic of this team. Every night we play I like this roster more. Great job last night boys. One left before heading home, get the job done and get home. Denver road Siouxxxxweeeep incoming! 

3 hours ago, Godsmack said:

I’ve noticed a thing DU does where after they score, they skate by the opposing bench with their sticks raised high in the air. They did this all weekend long when they curb stomped CC and I noticed it again last night. I don’t recall seeing any other team doing that, or am I missing something? I didn’t notice UND do it until after their comeback started. Perhaps turnabout is fair play? Wonder if that ticked the UND bench off a little bit when DU was doing that hence Blake and Berg and I think maybe Jamernik doing it during their third period rally. 

Edit: I recall seeing CC’s Noah Laba do it when he scored a pretty breakaway goal for the Tigers in the Saturday game at home in response to DU doing it as well. 

Is this DU's version of the Traditional Circle of Sticks? :D -Trademark Dan Hammer

3 hours ago, AlphaMikeFoxtrot said:

Instant classic. Worthy of a nickname. Ideas?

"Sticks Up" Game: props to Blake for doing it on goal 4, Berg for skating right in front of their bench with it on 7, and everyone who celebrated the W with it after the final buzzer. Keep it going tonight, maybe later in the season too.

"Altitude Room" Game: in the college sports arms race, new must-have amenity just dropped. Does anyone know who is behind it, i.e. NASA, UND aerospace, private sector, etc.?

This, 100%. Both suggestions are fantastic.

I’d vote for Altitude Room Game. Ties in the pregame coverage and alludes to the hustle displayed in the comeback. Plus it will always reference where the game was played.

Just now, SiouxScore said:

Team really showed something last night. First period might have been the worst all around period from the guys this season. They never got down never mailed it in, just regrouped and kept chipping away and getting better as the game went on. 

That’s a reflection of coaching and team leadership. 

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, brianvf said:

Berry and Co really knocked it out of the park with all the transfers this year. All have shown to be valuable assets to this team. 

Schlossman mentioned in a podcast that the coaching staff went seven for seven in the portal, a pretty unlikely hit rate. Every transfer contributes.

Berry mentioned in a USCHO interview that all seven transfers came in early for five weeks of voluntary workouts with Mark Poolman this summer. 

9 minutes ago, ChrisUND1 said:

DU goalie is big and slow and doesn’t play angles well.  

The whole team changes as the game progresses, especially under some pressure.   They all start out looking quick and skilled, but by game's end you can hear them grunting and see puddles of drool on the ice behind them.   Especially Rizzo.     

11 hours ago, stoneySIOUX said:

Denver is good. Very fast, talented, and skilled. However, my goodness 3 of those 4 first period goals were garbage. Very few grade As all night and kept them wholly to the outside. I'd love to see the shot chart. Persson wants a couple back, but made some big saves, too. 

Overall, our forward depth is better than DUs and outside of Rizzo and maybe Devine, our top end forward talent is better, too. Those two could likely find a top 6 spot, but whom would you take Rizzo or Devine over on our top 6? We are definitely better on the backend. Goaltending isn't close. That tendy was outmatched by our skill. 

I'll say it... UND is better than Denver and the final result only proved that.

So if we lose tonight the final result proves Denver is better?  You go way overboard the other way.  Denver has issues to fix, but they have a heck of a lot of talent, especially on the back end.  

5 hours ago, Godsmack said:

It so is. I hope UND doesn’t make it a standard practice to do that but I was glad to see our boys respond in kind last night. Just a very petty immature thing to do-trying to embarrass your opponent like that. 

UND doesn’t make a habit of it, but watch Blake’s celebration and look at the BU bench after his overtime winning goal.  

12 minutes ago, tnt said:

So if we lose tonight the final result proves Denver is better?  You go way overboard the other way.  Denver has issues to fix, but they have a heck of a lot of talent, especially on the back end.  

Nope. Goodness, did you not read what I said? I'm talking about their players. Then, the players played and showed UND was the better team and result proved it. 

Unless there's a dramatic change tonight, I think UND showed last night they are the better team.