SiouxSports.com Forum

Transfer Portal 2023

sioux24/7

1 hour ago, Midwestern Hawk said:

If UND plays to potential he is first team all-conference and earns some AA awards.  

It may be more accurate to say if he plays to his full potential he is first team all-conference. Coaches who watch hours of game film choose all-conference. They watch in detail how our linemen play. If we have a guy who doesn’t give up sacks, who bull dozes the defenders in the run game, who can get to the second level etc they know. If they don’t do it play after play and games after game they are often HM. The best guys elevate the play of their teammates. Kiley is a good tackle with great potential but lack of team success is only a small factor. Waletzko didn’t play on great teams either. 

• Upvote 2

4 minutes ago, Sioux>Bison said:

McFooly said on hot mic that Red Wilson was in the portal.

he also said that UND fans want to see Tommy take a hike and Kaminski take over next year, he must be reading too many siouxfan97 posts…….. but yeah the consensus is we want to see some new QB take over

I would hit the portal if I was Red Wilson. I see no issues with that. 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Sioux>Bison said:

McFooly said on hot mic that Red Wilson was in the portal.

he also said that UND fans want to see Tommy take a hike and Kaminski take over next year, he must be reading too many siouxfan97 posts…….. but yeah the consensus is we want to see some new QB take over

f7c6462d-d533-419d-be14-ee9d60005d4a.jpg

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Parkers Pros said:

I agree. Was very underutilized I think. But with some of the underclassman coming up, probably seeing that his role doesn’t increase…

As well as having to have Tommy as your QB. I can only imagine how frustrating that can be for any WR not named Bo. And even Bo was visibly frustrated with him at times...

• Like 1

One of my beliefs with roster construction is the appropriate amount of turnover is a good thing. From the Sr. class, who do we hope returns? Here's my list.

• Belquist
  • Vaughn
  • McNaboe
  • Hembry
  • Beach
  • Navratil* (This is if the coaching staff believes he can return to the form he had as an underclassman)
  • Fort* (He looks to have another year of eligibility)

If Belquist returns, I hope the rumor of Wilson entering the portal is true. 

3 minutes ago, AJS said:

One of my beliefs with roster construction is the appropriate amount of turnover is a good thing. From the Sr. class, who do we hope returns? Here's my list.

• Belquist
  • Vaughn
  • McNaboe
  • Hembry
  • Beach
  • Navratil* (This is if the coaching staff believes he can return to the form he had as an underclassman)
  • Fort* (He looks to have another year of eligibility)

If Belquist returns, I hope the rumor of Wilson entering the portal is true. 

IMO Red is replaceable with current underclassmen. Plus with him getting sat for having a bad attitude he probably wants to leave and it’s best when guys who want out get out. For both parties. Hopefully he finds an offense that will actually use him.

• Upvote 1

20 minutes ago, Parkers Pros said:

I agree. Was very underutilized I think. But with some of the underclassman coming up, probably seeing that his role doesn’t increase…

He didn’t have the best attitude, was benched multiple games.  Probably best for both parties to part ways.  

• Upvote 1

57 minutes ago, iramurphy said:

It may be more accurate to say if he plays to his full potential he is first team all-conference. Coaches who watch hours of game film choose all-conference. They watch in detail how our linemen play. If we have a guy who doesn’t give up sacks, who bull dozes the defenders in the run game, who can get to the second level etc they know. If they don’t do it play after play and games after game they are often HM. The best guys elevate the play of their teammates. Kiley is a good tackle with great potential but lack of team success is only a small factor. Waletzko didn’t play on great teams either. 

I respectfully disagree.  Waletzko was harder to miss on film and on the field due to his size.  If you are not on one of the top 3 teams, you better really stick out in the games or on film.  If UND just beats USD and doesn't just crap the bed at UNI, How many first teamers are those tow things worth?  I would say several.

While on the topic of WR's, Eliodor, Wilson and I wouldn't mind 1 more turning over as well. Depth would definitely still be there. Belquist, Klein, Dennis, Tai would be a fun first four. Plus, would give you a potential portal add if the right situation presented itself. 

After hearing Wes pull all of his UND posts and put back up USD stuff, I had a feeling this might be the roughest transfer portal season for us. Seeing Kilty was a gut punch initially, but given his situation and having a degree I think he likely would have transferred even if we made it to the Championship game. Great opportunity for him. 

I think top FCS lineman will always get plenty of offers in the portal, might be hard keeping the really good ones in the future. We all know it starts up front and what FBS team isn't going to want to add a solid fit on the OL.

Glad Bo is staying, him returning was nice to see just to have him back, but also to show others on the team that it's worth sticking around. That said he gets 50 percent of the passes thrown his way, which is both good and bad. He won't get that many passes thrown his way almost no matter where he goes. 

I will be on pins and needles every time I see a new post come on on this thread, I think there will be a few other semi big names that hit the portal. 

1 minute ago, Sioux94 said:

After hearing Wes pull all of his UND posts and put back up USD stuff, I had a feeling this might be the roughest transfer portal season for us. Seeing Kilty was a gut punch initially, but given his situation and having a degree I think he likely would have transferred even if we made it to the Championship game. Great opportunity for him. 

I think top FCS lineman will always get plenty of offers in the portal, might be hard keeping the really good ones in the future. We all know it starts up front and what FBS team isn't going to want to add a solid fit on the OL.

Glad Bo is staying, him returning was nice to see just to have him back, but also to show others on the team that it's worth sticking around. That said he gets 50 percent of the passes thrown his way, which is both good and bad. He won't get that many passes thrown his way almost no matter where he goes. 

I will be on pins and needles every time I see a new post come on on this thread, I think there will be a few other semi big names that hit the portal. 

Has Bo announced that he’s coming back?

I don’t see it being that rough.  I understand Wes’ frustration.  Lots of talent with limited opportunities. 

Plenty of recent examples of players that left UND to go sit on the bench at FBS schools.  Keeping players around is as much on the team as it is the coaches.  

I thought I saw someone say he was, my bad I must be wrong. 

Only thing official so far is Kilty. Bo did say on the radio postgame interview he did after the Sac State game that he intended to come back, but things could change too. 

26 minutes ago, homer said:

I don’t see it being that rough.  I understand Wes’ frustration.  Lots of talent with limited opportunities. 

Plenty of recent examples of players that left UND to go sit on the bench at FBS schools.  Keeping players around is as much on the team as it is the coaches.  

I know others are thinking it.............We have and have had lots and lots of WRs in our program that are overrated and/or don't produce jack squat.  I mean the list would be pages long the past 10-15 seasons.  We somehow treat the WR position like a bunch of sardines (safety in numbers).  The preseason unstoppable Jets were pretty much Floppable.  If Bo was paired with a real deep threat with a QB that could throw a deep ball he would be in his true roll, which would be a fantastic underneath complimentary type WR.  There is only 1 ball per play for our 12 receivers.  So I will put this on 3 things  1.  Overrated  - can't get open  2. QB can't make the throws to give them a chance 3. Dink-n-Dunk U in full effect.  I heard players were begging for a 3 step drop game vrs Sac St, staff not taking any input, Ellidor pissed, that's about how it went.  

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

1 hour ago, Midwestern Hawk said:

I respectfully disagree.  Waletzko was harder to miss on film and on the field due to his size.  If you are not on one of the top 3 teams, you better really stick out in the games or on film.  If UND just beats USD and doesn't just crap the bed at UNI, How many first teamers are those tow things worth?  I would say several.

Probably, buy we lost those games.  In addition, we also struggled against Indiana State and Illinois State. I contend that we didn’t play well enough to have more selections. We would have had to run the ball better, pass and catch the  ball better, to say nothing of playing defense better.  Our players needed to play better.
This isn’t high school where you are assigned a certain number of All Conf positions based on where you finished in the conference. You stated if we weren’t one of the top 3 teams “you better really  stick out”. Didn’t we finish tied for 3rd? The MVFC has been the premier FCS conference for a number of years. Kilty has enough size that he wouldn’t have gotten missed. The coaches who selected the all-conf team didn’t feel he earned a first or second team pick. I’m not saying he was undeserving, but I’m saying the league coaches didn’t think so.  

40 minutes ago, gfhockey said:

Has Bo announced that he’s coming back?

He likes it here. He and his family have said they like the coaches and the school. He apparently has a girlfriend here. I would guess it would take significant NIL money and/or move to a Power 5 school but I’m just guessing. I recruiting pitch from a school with the personal to highlight his strengths could pull him away.