SiouxSports.com Forum

2024 UND Football

andtheHomeoftheSIOUX!!

2 hours ago, UND-FB-FAN said:

So does this make it appear like the only reason our assistant coach's salaries are competition is because Bubba has been declining raises and passing the money down? 

1 hour ago, CMSioux said:

So does this make it appear like the only reason our assistant coach's salaries are competition is because Bubba has been declining raises and passing the money down? 

Ridiculous proposition, although Chaves went with it, because as Tom Miller wrote in his article, Bubba won’t be here forever to save that ridiculous budgeting plan, if indeed true. The cold hard truth is football is not appropriately emphasized at UND. Money talks. If you also read Miller’s article, he makes perhaps the best point of all; it’s not what the head coach’s salary is that is correlated with success, but rather what the assistant coaches make that is in fact correlated with success. UND’s assistant coaches - namely coordinators - are not compensated like a championship program within the MVFC. SDSU and NDSU on the other hand…

After the facilities are complete Chaves certainly has work to do regarding salaries.   Would be interesting to see how the recent new hires compare to what was replaced.  

I’d rather have the facilities first as that is what recruits care about but an argument could be made the other way I suppose to check the boxes in the article. 

• Upvote 2

14 minutes ago, UND-FB-FAN said:

Ridiculous proposition, although Chaves went with it, because as Tom Miller wrote in his article, Bubba won’t be here forever to save that ridiculous budgeting plan, if indeed true. The cold hard truth is UND football is not appropriately emphasized at UND. Money talks. If you also read Miller’s article, he makes perhaps the best point of all; it’s not what the head coach’s salary is that is correlated with success, but rather what the assistant coaches make that is in fact correlated with success. UND’s assistant coaches - namely coordinators - are not compensated like a championship program within the MVFC. SDSU and NDSU on the other hand…

It's true, have heard this, and the numbers show it.  As hard as some have been on Bubba, would all of you do the same??  Our coordinators are better paid than Bubba.

The average of the top 3 HC's made $368,046.  Bubba made 69.3% of this amount. 

The average of the top 3 OC's made $120,381.  Danny made 86.4% of this amount.   (If Bubba was at 86.4% like Danny, that would be another $63,000)

The average of the top 3 DC's made $117,402.  Joel made 75.3% of this amount. (not unreasonable for a 1st year DC)

Is it a good long-term strategy to expect the HC to take less money AND pass all increases onto assistants??  Nope!!

This is MVFC.

• Upvote 3

Chaves said there have been discussions over time on giving Schweigert a raise, but the coach has declined in order to spread the money elsewhere. Schweigert has been head coach at UND since 2014.

so we are looking at giving bubba a raise? Lol can’t make this stuff up

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, gfhockey said:

Chaves said there have been discussions over time on giving Schweigert a raise, but the coach has declined in order to spread the money elsewhere. Schweigert has been head coach at UND since 2014.

so we are looking at giving bubba a raise? Lol can’t make this stuff up

There are coaches making more that have accomplished less.  

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

1 minute ago, homer said:

Or if he wanted to accept more and didn’t redirect it to his coaching staff.  

If/when they start competing for conference championships and winning playoff games, all the coaches will be taken care of.

• Upvote 1

21 minutes ago, iluvdebbies said:

If/when they start competing for conference championships and winning playoff games, all the coaches will be taken care of.

Facilities are equally…….possibly more important in getting/retaining the athletes that can compete for conference championships.  

Tom should do a fancy table comparing facilities.  I bet the same two schools would be at the top but UND is positioned to be much more favorable.  

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

29 minutes ago, homer said:

Facilities are equally…….possibly more important in getting/retaining the athletes that can compete for conference championships.  

Tom should do a fancy table comparing facilities.  I bet the same two schools would be at the top but UND is positioned to be much more favorable.  

Yeah and they get Sanford and Nodak mutual money all we got was 10 million from Altru which I am thankful for but I’m pretty sure Sanford pumps in a lot more too in the SU and SDSU plus NSU has Nodak insurance in their back pocket. What’s Nodak done for us, other than put their name on the ring which I see has been replaced with farmers Union 

• Upvote 1

45 minutes ago, homer said:

You’re joking, right? 

47 minutes ago, homer said:

Whom are you comparing facilities with?

1 hour ago, gundy1124 said:

It's true, have heard this, and the numbers show it.  As hard as some have been on Bubba, would all of you do the same??  Our coordinators are better paid than Bubba.

The average of the top 3 HC's made $368,046.  Bubba made 69.3% of this amount. 

The average of the top 3 OC's made $120,381.  Danny made 86.4% of this amount.   (If Bubba was at 86.4% like Danny, that would be another $63,000)

The average of the top 3 DC's made $117,402.  Joel made 75.3% of this amount. (not unreasonable for a 1st year DC)

Is it a good long-term strategy to expect the HC to take less money AND pass all increases onto assistants??  Nope!!

This is MVFC.

Sure, Bubba has gave up some of his salary, but the assistant coaches pool is too low even with those “donations”. Needs to be raised, but you don’t give that elevation to the current guys; you make that elevation availabe upon an open competitive job search to attract the best. That is the simple solution, but yet, it’s not that simple. Need UND to want football to be better, first and foremost. That comes down to Chaves, Armacost, and more importantly, the major stakeholders. Put your money where your mouth is. You get what you pay for. Facilities are looking good, but you can’t recruit and retain high quality coaches without high end salaries. After all, we’re taking about Grand Forks, ND …

Lastly, Bubba has had a good run, but the salary rises need to align with a change in coaching staff, not under the current regime. 

To be honest, I have no problem with UND's approach - student focused first:

1)  Facilities

- Fritz (Indoor Practice Facility) - Open

- Memorial I (Coaches Offices, Other areas) - Open Fall 2024 

- Fritz II (Locker rooms, new outdoor track and outdoor field turf) - Open Fall 2024

2) Cost of attendance, Alstom ($1 million annually) - (starting spring of 24).

3) Then coaching salaries

Next up coaching salaries.  People need to remember SDSU and USD still have mortgages to pay for their facilities.  If the North Dakota schools were able to use State Bonding for athletic facilities it would be helpful.  So, you don't have an apples to apple comparison.

• Upvote 2

16 minutes ago, FSSD said:

1)  Facilities

- Fritz II (Locker rooms, new outdoor track and outdoor field turf) - Open Fall 2024

Next up coaching salaries.  People need to remember SDSU and USD still have mortgages to pay for their facilities.  If the North Dakota schools were able to use State Bonding for athletic facilities it would be helpful.  So, you don't have an apples to apple comparison.

Imagine what the 52% of ticket sales ($642k in 2023) that go to REA could do for the program.  There is already a line item where REA gets paid to manage and sell the tickets so I am not sure what the 52% is for.

2023 average attendance 10,288 x $20/ticket = $205,760/game in ticket revenue

$205,760 x 6 home games = $1,234,560 ticket revenue in 2023

52% to REA = $642k 

Not certain of the $20 ticket price but even at 75% of that it would be a big number.  Also not sure how much of that would go directly to the football program but some of it would. 

• Upvote 1

36 minutes ago, Siouxperman8 said:

Imagine what the 52% of ticket sales ($642k in 2023) that go to REA could do for the program.  There is already a line item where REA gets paid to manage and sell the tickets so I am not sure what the 52% is for.

2023 average attendance 10,288 x $20/ticket = $205,760/game in ticket revenue

$205,760 x 6 home games = $1,234,560 ticket revenue in 2023

52% to REA = $642k 

Not certain of the $20 ticket price but even at 75% of that it would be a big number.  Also not sure how much of that would go directly to the football program but some of it would. 

The reality is that nobody on this message board can state exactly what the 52% is used for..  is that money exclusive to Hockey which many here assume.  I don't know, but I think that is a silly notion. 

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, FSSD said:

1)  Facilities

Ok...so now that we are supposedly the shining star of the MVFC in facilities and Alston awards...when do the increased expectations that come with those investments start to show up?!?  Honest question...but we are slowly peeling away the excuses for why the program can't ascend to the next step.  The defenders of the status quo will have fewer and fewer places to seek shelter...meanwhile NDSU and SDSU will be able to utilize their NIL collectives to plug holes in their lineups, retain players and attract portal entrants.

I've been to SDSU...I've been to both Montana's...I've been to Fargo...I'm not so sure I would put us at the top of the arms race.  We will definitely have closed the gap however, which is good!  But if anything that makes 7-5 next year and in the years to come even less impressive in my book...

• Like 1