SiouxSports.com Forum

2024 UND Football

andtheHomeoftheSIOUX!!

1 hour ago, UND08 said:

Ok...so now that we are supposedly the shining star of the MVFC in facilities and Alston awards...when do the increased expectations that come with those investments start to show up?!?  Honest question...but we are slowly peeling away the excuses for why the program can't ascend to the next step.  The defenders of the status quo will have fewer and fewer places to seek shelter...meanwhile NDSU and SDSU will be able to utilize their NIL collectives to plug holes in their lineups, retain players and attract portal entrants.

I've been to SDSU...I've been to both Montana's...I've been to Fargo...I'm not so sure I would put us at the top of the arms race.  We will definitely have closed the gap however, which is good!  But if anything that makes 7-5 next year and in the years to come even less impressive in my book...

As it currently stands both SDSU and NDSU have clear advantages with football facilities.  The facilities UND is in progress with are to simply close that gap.  It certainly will not give UND a clear advantage that both SDSU and NDSU have today.  So, am I saying that all the sudden UND is pouching recruits from xDSU - NO.  But I can see UND in more recruiting battles head to head with both schools.

Other areas that I have seen UND work on recently includes endowed scholarships for the football program.  UND recently created 10/15 endowed scholarships.  This is going to make money available for other needs.  And it is going to take these types of changes over the long term to get there, unless there is a Denny Sanford waiting to help UND.

Again, coaching salaries and NIL are two areas that UND will need to monitor and improve on.  I look forward to improvements in this area.  It is clear Bubba knows about the coaching salaries and he is doing everything he can to improve them. 

As far as your comments about SDSU, it will be interesting to see if they can continue to reload.  Much of there success was based on keeping a CORE group of players for 6 years.  That 6 year advantage will be going away.  And can they continue to keep the next round of players.  You have started to see NDSU have problems with that (a good problem to have IMO).  We will see.  Plus, I am not sure SDSU can generate the NIL money that NDSU does.  The next 4/5 years will be very interesting.

2 hours ago, FSSD said:

The reality is that nobody on this message board can state exactly what the 52% is used for..  is that money exclusive to Hockey which many here assume.  I don't know, but I think that is a silly notion. 

The REA doesn't operate the hockey program.  What the 52% is used for is spelled out in the usage agreement.  My issue is with the REA retaining net income instead of distributing all of it to UND (less the money needed for day to day operations and money that goes to Repairs/Maintenance/Enhancement Fund). 

image.png.85a3c80982c976fdd4e668160f59e5d7.png
image.png.2a9d030e507e6db18577ca40dfe393da.png

1 hour ago, nodak651 said:

The REA doesn't operate the hockey program.  What the 52% is used for is spelled out in the usage agreement.  My issue is with the REA retaining net income instead of distributing all of it to UND (less the money needed for day to day operations and money that goes to Repairs/Maintenance/Enhancement Fund). 

Per the paragraph above it is referred to as a 'facility usage fee'.  How is the football program paying REA s facility usage fee.  It makes sense for the teams that use the Ralph and the Betty. 

• Upvote 1

21 hours ago, iluvdebbies said:

If/when they start competing for conference championships and winning playoff games, all the coaches will be taken care of.

Where do you see those funds coming from? 

2 hours ago, CMSioux said:

Where do you see those funds coming from? 

This is an intentional issue by UND. It would take ~ 50-100k more per year to significantly increase salary pool for UND football relative to the competition. When you consider the amount of funds allocated elsewhere, and what has been recently raised for construction projects, this is not a number that is impossible to find or raise. But, once again, the expectations for UND football are too low. UND administration is satisfied with middle of the road salaries. Now Chaves has been now quoted in the GF Herald saying salaries aren’t everything; sure, they’re not, but its been the elephant in the room for a while for UND football, especially this off-season with the coaching turnover. If you want to recruit top coaching candidates to Grand Forks, you need to compensate at the same level - if not more - than NDSU and SDSU. Right now, UND football is purposefully putting themselves at a disadvantage. The true tell will be when Bubba is no longer head coach and a new coach is being searched for; that will especially be the time to raise the salary pool for obvious (recruiting) purposes during the searching/hiring process. Simply paying the current coaches more now isn’t going to fix current problems/issues. 

1 hour ago, wheelsup said:

It would be interesting to see the coaching salary table by conference for all of our major sports.. Hockey.. football.. Mens Basketball.. Womans Basketball.  

That would be interesting to look at.  

Also would be interesting to see when each of those coaches in Tom’s article were hired and where the salaries at time of hire ranked in conference.  

Certainly work to do but likely doesn’t change until new staff is brought in board.  Going rate is much higher but facilities actually in place and not on paper should help recruiting a new coach.  

• Upvote 1

20 hours ago, nodak651 said:

If I am reading this correctly, there is a document that refers to "Facility Usage Fee" in multiple locations.  I assume that the REA includes both the Ralph and Betty.  So, this FU Fee is used to support the teams that are tenants in those facilities or use those facilities for game day.  So, it is supporting the following programs:

• Men Hockey
  • Mens and Womens Basketball
  • Womens volleyball
  • Womens soccer.

2 hours ago, FSSD said:

If I am reading this correctly, there is a document that refers to "Facility Usage Fee" in multiple locations.  I assume that the REA includes both the Ralph and Betty.  So, this FU Fee is used to support the teams that are tenants in those facilities or use those facilities for game day.  So, it is supporting the following programs:

• Men Hockey
  • Mens and Womens Basketball
  • Womens volleyball
  • Womens soccer.

Sounds about right.

On 2/16/2024 at 12:13 PM, gfhockey said:

Yeah and they get Sanford and Nodak mutual money all we got was 10 million from Altru which I am thankful for but I’m pretty sure Sanford pumps in a lot more too in the SU and SDSU plus NSU has Nodak insurance in their back pocket. What’s Nodak done for us, other than put their name on the ring which I see has been replaced with farmers Union 

exactly...throw us chickenfeed and we gush over it

• Upvote 1

On 2/16/2024 at 12:13 PM, gfhockey said:

Yeah and they get Sanford and Nodak mutual money all we got was 10 million from Altru which I am thankful for but I’m pretty sure Sanford pumps in a lot more too in the SU and SDSU plus NSU has Nodak insurance in their back pocket. What’s Nodak done for us, other than put their name on the ring which I see has been replaced with farmers Union?

I can't recall the exact amount Nodak donated (actual cash and in-kind). I am sure someone can look it up. But it typically takes $5M-$20M to get your name on a UND capital project. Links to the same groundbreaking are below. Maybe you just missed it.

https://www.grandforksherald.com/news/local/und-breaks-ground-on-fritz-pollard-center-additions

https://www.grandforksherald.com/sports/und-hockey/groundbreaking-doesnt-mark-the-last-of-unds-athletic-facility-ambitions

https://blogs.und.edu/und-today/2023/08/und-breaks-ground-for-new-athletics-facility/

• Upvote 1

UND's home schedule is very nice:

Sep 7th - Montana (3)

Sep 14th - Idaho St.

Sep 21st - San Diego

Sep 28th - Murray St.

Oct 19th - UNI

Nov 9th - SDSU (1)

Nov 16th - USD (8)

Road Games include:  Iowa St, NDSU (3), YSU (14), Indiana St. and Illinois St.

5 minutes ago, FSSD said:

UND's home schedule is very nice:

Sep 7th - Montana (3)

Sep 14th - Idaho St.

Sep 21st - San Diego

Sep 28th - Murray St.

Oct 19th - UNI

Nov 9th - SDSU (1)

Nov 16th - USD (8)

Road Games include:  Iowa St, NDSU (3), YSU (14), Indiana St. and Illinois St.

The last time we had seven home games, we finished 3-8 and Mussman was fired. Will history repeat itself? I think the odds are 50-50.

• Upvote 2

5 minutes ago, Dustin said:

Great article.  Looks like we got a good one.  Hopefully.

I guess I should say that it appears for sure we got a good person.  Hopefully he is also a good coach.

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, Dustin said:

I guess I should say that it appears for sure we got a good person.  Hopefully he is also a good coach.

I was thinking the same thing. He might be a good fit and a new set of eyes. 

• Upvote 2

58 minutes ago, Nodak78 said:

Since I don't have subscription to the trib.  The highlights, please.  Everything I have read about him should be a good fit for UND.

Son of a highly successful high school coach.

Nothing was handed to him - always had to take the extra step.  Went to community college before Gophs.  Was on NFL training squad before making the roster.

Coaching philosophy in his own words:

"I'm trying to be the coach I always wanted as a player. That's detail, that's honest, that's high-energy, passionate and caring about the kids more than just catching a ball or making a block."

"We're going to do everything we can to be an exciting brand of football, and do it the right way, which is important to me."

"I told our offensive team the other day that everybody knows deep down in themselves that there's a right and wrong way to do things. I told them there's three things I care about: you're tough to fight through some adversity, to be disciplined and to be consistent."

• Like 1
  • Upvote 3