SiouxSports.com Forum

Clowns @ Hawks -- Saturday Break Out The Brooms Edition

cowboys5xsbs

40 minutes ago, burd said:

I think these guys showed they are capable of winning the conf. tourney.   That includes goaltending.    Not likely, but a fighting chance.

Yes, agreed.  This team has shown that they are capable of playing with, and beating, any top team they've faced (except Denver).
Teams that have steamrolled their competition this season like QU and MN (current #1 & #2 in PWR)...UND has beaten both (yeah, yeah..QU in shootout, whatever).

Unfortunately, their huge lapses of bad games and bad losses means that even if they put together a run, it's going to be a very difficult path.

-NCHC playoffs...they'll be on the road.  You know it'll go 3 games.  Hopefully UND can prevail.
-IF they do...they'll get DU for the 1st game of the NCHC tourney with their season on the line.  They'd have to get that elusive first win over them and still try to beat SCSU/WMU the next game to make it to the NCAA tourney.
-IF they do that, their reward will be playing in Fargo with a home crowd...with their opponent very likely being top ranked UMN. 

Ouch ouch ouch.

7 minutes ago, cowboys5xsbs said:

Which helps us we want Omaha not Saint Cloud 

These last couple weekends are gonna be crazy for seeding, things could move around a ton still.

2nd to 4th place all only separated by 3 points.
5th to 7th place all only separated by 3 points.

I'm guessing math and tie-breakers will be involved.  We won't play DU first round, but we could be traveling to any of those teams currently in 2-4...crossing my fingers for Omaha.

23 minutes ago, cowboys5xsbs said:

Which helps us we want Omaha not Saint Cloud 

But we have no idea who is going to win between the two next weekend, nor what happens between Duluth and St. Cloud the following.  Just need to get our own game to the next level down the stretch.

If we would have discipline and concentration for the last minutes of a period we would have won this game.  We played hard but make the exact frustrating mistakes over and over.  Something wrong here.  We are still puking up goals with less than two minutes left in a period.  

27 minutes ago, MafiaMan said:

I’m confused, we’re playing for the highest seed possible or playing for matchups now?  

With the only shot of getting in by winning the conference tournaments and since we are traveling anyway I would much rather travel to Omaha and play on a regulation sized sheet instead of the Olympic ice at the Herb. Last week of season could be interesting with potential back to back matchups sinc UMD finishes regular season at SCSU and could very well return their the following weekend and UND hosts UNO with a vry possible the following weekend in Omaha.

1 hour ago, SiouxScore said:

Exactly, feels like more losses this year where we completely outplay a team than the last 5 combined.

What 3-4 posts tonight too?

But this time we outplayed a team, but weren’t as porous defensively.  Before it seemed like we would be playing well in the offensive end, but would give up odd man rushes that would find the back of our net.  

This has been an extremely hard season to watch. I am not sure if we will see the post season but things don’t look good. I can’t think of any time in the Berry era that his stock is so low. It would be nice to be able to go on a run but nothing has shown that this season. 

Don't want Omaha in the first round if they aren't already a lock for the tournament. First off they'd be playing for their lives unlike Jan and Western. Second, Omaha just had a coach pass away; I and many others are rooting for them to succeed in honor of him so I don't want to be conflicted about UND winning. If we can't win on the road then we can't win in Minneapolis.

https://www.grandforksherald.com/sports/und-hockey/und-only-has-a-tie-to-show-for-strong-performance-against-st-cloud-state

Final shots on goal: 30-13 UND. It marked the lowest shot total for the Huskies since Nov. 23, 2019, when they only mustered 12 against UND in The Ralph.

St. Cloud State went 19 minutes, 54 seconds — nearly the entirety of the second period — without registering a single shot on goalie Drew DeRidder (11 saves).

Final attempts: 66-28 UND. The Huskies blocked 22. Goaltender Jaxon Castor stopped 28. And three more hit his posts — Owen McLaughlin in the first, Riese Gaber in the second and Jackson Blake in the final moments of the third.

Final faceoffs: 34-23 UND. Jake Schmaltz, who returned after missing three games due to an upper-body injury, was 16-5 in the dot.

9 hours ago, brianvf said:

Yes, agreed.  This team has shown that they are capable of playing with, and beating, any top team they've faced (except Denver).
Teams that have steamrolled their competition this season like QU and MN (current #1 & #2 in PWR)...UND has beaten both (yeah, yeah..QU in shootout, whatever).

Unfortunately, their huge lapses of bad games and bad losses means that even if they put together a run, it's going to be a very difficult path.

-NCHC playoffs...they'll be on the road.  You know it'll go 3 games.  Hopefully UND can prevail.
-IF they do...they'll get DU for the 1st game of the NCHC tourney with their season on the line.  They'd have to get that elusive first win over them and still try to beat SCSU/WMU the next game to make it to the NCAA tourney.
-IF they do that, their reward will be playing in Fargo with a home crowd...with their opponent very likely being top ranked UMN. 

Ouch ouch ouch.

If you honestly think this team is going to win out in the NCHC tourney, I like your optimism, but, no they do not have the consistency to win out the tournament. 

18 minutes ago, FightingSU said:

If you honestly think this team is going to win out in the NCHC tourney, I like your optimism, but, no they do not have the consistency to win out the tournament. 

Completely agree. As much as (rightfully so) the defense / goaltending has gotten much of the blame, too often there have been nights like last night where they’ve struggled to put the puck in the net. It’s one of those years where if it’s not one thing it’s another.

15 minutes ago, FightingSU said:

Yeah, I don't think this team is going anywhere. They need to clean house this off-season, hang onto their underclassmen and bring in recruits that are ready. This team could have a big bounce-back year in 2023-24 if things work out.

The difference I saw this weekend was with our defenseman.   They didn't activate nearly as much in the offensive zone and wind up below the goal line or try to make a 50/50 pinch.  Instead they backed out to play D.  Limiting the outnumbered opportunities the other way.  Our forwards this year don't seem to be reliable enough to cover for activating Dmen.  Since our forwards are unreliable and only a few can seem to play as a defenseman,  our Dmen need to stay home.  As it has always been said, D wins championships.  We need to play defense first.   However when we do that, we don't seem to score as much.  Which makes it difficult.   

Also, our guys need to play as a team.  We have some great players, but I haven't seen a player that can put a team on his back to score that goal.  Gaber is good, bu needs to use his team.  He tries to do 1v3 or 1v4 too often.

• Upvote 1