SiouxSports.com Forum

Clowns @ Hawks -- Saturday Break Out The Brooms Edition

cowboys5xsbs

1 hour ago, nd jg said:

The difference I saw this weekend was with our defenseman.   They didn't activate nearly as much in the offensive zone and wind up below the goal line or try to make a 50/50 pinch.  Instead they backed out to play D.  Limiting the outnumbered opportunities the other way.  Our forwards this year don't seem to be reliable enough to cover for activating Dmen.  Since our forwards are unreliable and only a few can seem to play as a defenseman,  our Dmen need to stay home.  As it has always been said, D wins championships.  We need to play defense first.   However when we do that, we don't seem to score as much.  Which makes it difficult.   

Also, our guys need to play as a team.  We have some great players, but I haven't seen a player that can put a team on his back to score that goal.  Gaber is good, bu needs to use his team.  He tries to do 1v3 or 1v4 too often.

I have actually been impressed with Gaber lately, as he isn’t nearly as predictable as he was early in the year when he would get his shot blocked often, and would turn over the puck often by holding on to it too long.  There has been a few times when he could have dished it, but I don’t think it’s a coincidence that he is starting to score more when he isn’t the black hole he was earlier.

1 hour ago, nd jg said:

The difference I saw this weekend was with our defenseman.   They didn't activate nearly as much in the offensive zone and wind up below the goal line or try to make a 50/50 pinch.  Instead they backed out to play D.  Limiting the outnumbered opportunities the other way.  Our forwards this year don't seem to be reliable enough to cover for activating Dmen.  Since our forwards are unreliable and only a few can seem to play as a defenseman,  our Dmen need to stay home.  As it has always been said, D wins championships.  We need to play defense first.   However when we do that, we don't seem to score as much.  Which makes it difficult.   

Also, our guys need to play as a team.  We have some great players, but I haven't seen a player that can put a team on his back to score that goal.  Gaber is good, bu needs to use his team.  He tries to do 1v3 or 1v4 too often.

The forwards (and D) have been real weak covering bodies in front of the net this year and seem to have tightened that up lately.    When the goalies don't gobble up pucks, that becomes even more important.   

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, SIOUXELEVENS said:

Nice to have some rewards for all the hard work, they played the earlier games like they did this weekend we have home ice and probably an at large bid sewed up, coulda, woulda and shoulda. 

Yep. I noticed all weekend we played smart from a defensive standpoint. Patient. No real noticeable massive turnovers. Short passes up the boards, good chips and dumps when needed. Stuff I expected to see all season, unfortunately. 

15 minutes ago, brianvf said:

Geez, that's a huge difference.
A win would have been nice from it. 

Cripes, huge difference. That really cries out that we have difficulty scoring 5 on 5 (which we have all season).  Not sure about our 2nd goal but I do know the 1st goal was in effect scored on the power play.

8 minutes ago, GDPritch said:

Cripes, huge difference. That really cries out that we have difficulty scoring 5 on 5 (which we have all season).  Not sure about our 2nd goal but I do know the 1st goal was in effect scored on the power play.

Kunz even strength, Gaber on the PP. Agreed... it was frustrating to watch chance after chance not be put away. I think we had 4 (maybe 3) pipes. Such a fun, but frustrating game. Coulda, woulda, shoulda. Possibly our best weekend of the season, but lots of missed opportunities to get a sweep.

1 hour ago, stoneySIOUX said:

Kunz even strength, Gaber on the PP. Agreed... it was frustrating to watch chance after chance not be put away. I think we had 4 (maybe 3) pipes. Such a fun, but frustrating game. Coulda, woulda, shoulda. Possibly our best weekend of the season, but lots of missed opportunities to get a sweep.

UND has three pipes on Saturday, one in each period. I remember talking with that with @ScottyWaz in the press box. 

1 minute ago, brianvf said:

Blake's pipe in the 3rd with just a couple minutes left would have blown the roof off the place and been a good reward for a strong weekend from him.

If that goes in the place blows up with noise. The building was really thumping during the second period. 

Rewatching the games, I noticed how "clumsy" SCSU was in open ice ... namely around Frisch and behind the play.

After he'd move a puck up they seemed to make a late wide-swing turn with their head the other way and ended up "accidentally" bumping Frisch. Strangely, they "accidentally" bumped Frisch more than the other UND D combined. And a few of the "bumps" were at speeds to knock him down. 

I'm surprised the officials didn't pick up on that ... or not. 

1 hour ago, The Sicatoka said:

Rewatching the games, I noticed how "clumsy" SCSU was in open ice ... namely around Frisch and behind the play.

After he'd move a puck up they seemed to make a late wide-swing turn with their head the other way and ended up "accidentally" bumping Frisch. Strangely, they "accidentally" bumped Frisch more than the other UND D combined. And a few of the "bumps" were at speeds to knock him down. 

I'm surprised the officials didn't pick up on that ... or not. 

:lol: Thanks for the laugh this morning

15 minutes ago, InHeavenThereIsNoBeer said:

:lol: Thanks for the laugh this morning

If they'd only let them take their dog out with them maybe the dog would smell what's cookin'. 

Before folks jump on me, I wore stripes at lower levels. It's not easy, but some things that keep "happening" should be noticed. And at times NCHC officials have the same problem as our team in our zone -> puck hypnosis: they lock onto the puck and miss what's really happening around them. And (repeating myself ad infinitum, ad nauseum) the second referee should be in the press box