SiouxSports.com Forum

2023-24 University of North Dakota Hockey Season

AlphaMikeFoxtrot

52 minutes ago, Oxbow6 said:

They will basically be home games for UND in the Sioux Falls regional. That needs to be the objective moving forward. Get a #1 seed.  Winning the NCHC tournament is secondary IMO.

Denver and North Dakota do not need to win the NCHC tournament.

Omaha probably wants to win at least one game to secure an at-large bid.

St. Cloud probably needs to win the tournament for the auto-bid.

1 minute ago, fightingsioux4life said:

Omaha is already in the tournament and is a 3 seed. 

Just now, fightingsioux4life said:

Omaha is 100% in the tournament.  They actually have the least to play for.  

My question is that if DU is the higher seed, and Omaha and perhaps another area team (MN?) is there, do they not need UND's money and can they put Denver, who earned it, there.

15 minutes ago, jk said:

Omaha is 100% in the tournament.  They actually have the least to play for.  

My question is that if DU is the higher seed, and Omaha and perhaps another area team (MN?) is there, do they not need UND's money and can they put Denver, who earned it, there.

A flight is a flight. DU flying to St. Louis or Sioux Falls is about a half hour of flight time difference. The committee will put UND in Sioux Falls if UNO and UND aren't aligned to play in the first round.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 3

My bracket prediction? 

Somebody ain't gonna be happy. 

Most likely cause of great consternation and trepidation? UMass as a regional host and the region's four-seed gets (likely) BU shipped west and 3 or 4 overall shipped east. Next most likely is Omaha as a regional three and host. 

10 minutes ago, The Sicatoka said:

My bracket prediction? 

Somebody ain't gonna be happy. 

Most likely cause of great consternation and trepidation? UMass as a regional host and the region's four-seed gets (likely) BU shipped west and 3 or 4 overall shipped east. Next most likely is Omaha as a regional three and host. 

All of this is why top 4 seeds need to host. The nonsense that we possibly see like above is just another nail in the coffin to these type of regionals.....hopefully.

• Upvote 2

Every player practiced at the Ralph today, including Albrecht & Persson.
Still no word on which goalie will take the start on Friday.

https://www.grandforksherald.com/sports/und-hockey/und-not-expecting-to-announce-starting-goaltender-until-friday-afternoon?fbclid=IwAR0ioQFYDoTzCPUFeDpNskIeCzOK628xK8WqhM__QssrW4I0yIbmV1FjDPc

An illness made its way through some UND hockey players last week. But there was a bit of good news Tuesday. Every player was on the ice for practice.

That included senior forward Carson Albrecht, who was one of the ill players. Albrecht missed both games of UND's sweep of Miami. It also included goaltender Ludvig Persson.

"We're going to go through the week here, and when you get close to the weekend, we'll make a decision on who that is," Berry said. "Ludvig Persson has been our goaltender for the majority of the year here. Hobie Hedquist came in and played three games during the regular season and he won them all. He came in for two games this weekend and won his first two playoff games, so he's 5-0."

4 hours ago, brianvf said:

If BU gets sent west because of UMass hosting, maybe some of those eastern hockey writers will change their tune about wanting to keep the regional format as it is now.  :)

Maybe but some of those guys really believe that on-campus regionals are inherently unfair. 

I thought the perennial powers were in favor of onsite regionals (im thinking UND, Minny, Michigan, BU, BC, etc) but it’s the other 50 or so schools who are against it?

For example, the Yale’s, Union’s, and Providence’s of the college hockey world probably don’t win national championships the last decade if they have to go into Grand Forks to win national tournament games.  They have better odds beating UND in Toledo, OH in front of 1,166 generic fans instead 11,667 Sioux fans in Grand Forks.

6 hours ago, brianvf said:

If BU gets sent west because of UMass hosting, maybe some of those eastern hockey writers will change their tune about wanting to keep the regional format as it is now.  :)

If BU gets sent west, its possible that UND gets sent east.  That would trigger a LOT of discussion. 

1 hour ago, farce poobah said:

If BU gets sent west, its possible that UND gets sent east.  That would trigger a LOT of discussion. 

I feel like that has a pretty good shot at happening.  Even if UND beats UNO.
It's either that, or the committee puts three NCHC teams in one regional, which would suck as well.

On 3/15/2024 at 10:33 AM, 90siouxfan said:

I always hope for a play by play guy that calls the action and a color guy that only speaks when the puck is not moving.

So it’s not just me then who thinks Alex’s preparedness, professionalism & personality detracts from him doing more pxp. His knowledge is impressive to listen to though as well.

13 hours ago, farce poobah said:

And all of it will be annoying. Our fanbase is whiny and often conspiratorial lol.

• Upvote 2

41 minutes ago, Wilbur said:

#hobeyblaker

Four guys from Boston schools; 6 from the East.  Maybe they'll split all their votes and Blake will slide into the Hobey Hat Trick.

24 minutes ago, Blackheart said:

Four guys from Boston schools; 6 from the East.  Maybe they'll split all their votes and Blake will slide into the Hobey Hat Trick.

I think Blake should definitely get in the hat trick. Could even win if the vote split happens.