SiouxSports.com Forum

2023-24 University of North Dakota Hockey Season

AlphaMikeFoxtrot

North Dakota Fighting Hawks

NCAA Division I Overall Record: 24-10-2 (.694)
Conference Record, NCHC: 15-8-1, 31 points
Home: 17-4-1 / Away: 7-6-1 / Neutral: 0-0-0
Current USCHO Poll: No. 5

The Away record scares me. 

L @ BU 2-3
Was tied 2-2 going into the 3rd period.

W @ BU 5-4 OT
UND was up 3-1 in the 2nd and 4-3 in the 3rd.

W @ UMD 4-2
UND up 3-0 after 1st period.  UMD pulled to 3-2 before UND scored an empty netter

W @ UMD 2-0

W @ Denver 7-5
UND was down 4-1 after 1st period and 5-3 after 2nd period.  Rallied with 4 unanswered in the 3rd period.

L @ Denver 3-2 OT
UND was up 2-1 in the 3rd.

W @ SCSU 5-3
UND was up 3-1 after 2nd period, SCSU brought it to 4-3 before an empty netter.

T @ SCSU 3-3
SCSU Was up 2-1 after 2nd and 3-2 in the 3rd.  Berg scored with under 7 mins left to tie it.

W @ Miami 5-4 OT
UND was down 4-2 after 2nd period.  Scored an extra attacker goal to tie it late in 3rd.

W @ Miami 4-1
UND led most of the way, 3-1 after 2nd period.

L @ CC 7-1
Gave up 4 PP goals (on 5 chances) to one of the worst PPs in the country

L @ CC 6-2
UND was up 2-1 after 1st period.  Tied 2-2 after 2nd period.

L @ UNO 3-2
1-1 after 1st and 3-2 after 2nd period.

L @ UNO 4-1
2-0 UNO after 1st period, was 3-0 at one point in the 2nd. 

Hard to make much out of it and what the issue(s) may be. 

We have only lost 1 game all year when we have scored at least 4 goals ... a 5-4 OT loss to Omaha at home.  Conversely, only 6 of our wins came with less than 4 goals.

The Friday night games against Miami, CC and UNO were terrible.  There were much better efforts on Saturday nights, but mostly the same if not worse results.  The early season road trips weren't that bad, and actually were very good.  We have scored 6 goals in our last 4 road games.  We need to score early and often and win the race to 4 each and every game.

8 minutes ago, RedFrog said:

North Dakota Fighting Hawks

NCAA Division I Overall Record: 24-10-2 (.694)
Conference Record, NCHC: 15-8-1, 31 points
Home: 17-4-1 / Away: 7-6-1 / Neutral: 0-0-0
Current USCHO Poll: No. 5

The Away record scares me.

The good news is that UND won't play another "away" game all season.
All that is left is Home and Neutral.

Plus, the big advantage with playing at home...every remaining game that UND will play (assuming they stay the same in PWR) they'll have last line change unless they meet BC or BU in the Frozen Four.

• Upvote 2

This SOCKS!  I mean sucks - but what about the SOCKS?  Hockey Fashionistas are sad tonight...

Thanks Jake for your service!  Especially adding "Holy Buckets" to UND's Hockey Lexicon...we won't forget that Roseau accent anytime soon.

Thanks Jake!
Guessing Heinert will get called away sooner rather than later too, so we might be looking at a couple new announcers pretty soon.

His first season in the booth was a national title season.  Might as well make his last season a title season too. 
Would be a good bookend.  :) 

• Like 2

Just now, brianvf said:

Thanks Jake!
Guessing Heinert will get called away sooner rather than later too, so we might be looking at a couple new announcers pretty soon.

His first season in the booth was a national title season.  Might as well make his last season a title season too. 

Alex is planning to leave Midco after this weekend, going full time with CBS sports. 

1 minute ago, brianvf said:

Thanks Jake!

There's been some snoozers, some losers, and downright legends in the box, Jake worked his way into a category of his own. 

I liked him think that's its something he can pop in and out of over the years as well. 

Legend in the making.

20 minutes ago, brianvf said:

Thanks Jake!

Already BEEN called away to CBS Sports - he only worked UND games as his national schedule allowed.  Can't blame him.  Taking his shot at the "big time" - good for him!  Jody Norstead filled in - did a decent job and is also a good guy - alum of WDAZ - he deserves his time imo

49 minutes ago, gfNDfan said:

Already BEEN called away to CBS Sports - he only worked UND games as his national schedule allowed.  Can't blame him.  Taking his shot at the "big time" - good for him!  Jody Norstead filled in - did a decent job and is also a good guy - alum of WDAZ - he deserves his time imo

Jody just needs to work on his energy. Needs some excitement in his voice for goals, big hits, etc.

• Upvote 1

Does Alex live in Grand Forks anymore?  I thought I heard him and Starman say something about living in Sioux Falls on a recent broadcast.  His LinkedIn profile shows his location as Sioux Falls, but that could be from before he got the UND gig.

3 minutes ago, Benny Baker said:

Midco needs to splurge on about 10-round trip Allegiant tickets a year and fly in Jordan Schmaltz from Scottsdale as the new analyst.

Put him and Kristo on an analyst panel and it'd be a foreign language. 

• Upvote 2

51 minutes ago, Dustin said:

Does Alex live in Grand Forks anymore?  I thought I heard him and Starman say something about living in Sioux Falls on a recent broadcast.  His LinkedIn profile shows his location as Sioux Falls, but that could be from before he got the UND gig.

I thought Alex has always lived in Sioux Falls. Since that’s where he is from. 

Just now, Vegas_Sioux said:

I thought Alex has always lived in Sioux Falls. Since that’s where he is from. 

Not always. Alex moved from GF to SF a few years ago, when he started doing some CBSSN work. And being closer to family (SF) when kids came didn't hurt. 

I'm good with Jody Norstedt doing UND's hockey broadcasts.  Hope they find a good color man.  I've noticed especially in the last year that Jake Brandt's commentary has really elevated (and my only exposure to hockey is through being a lifelong UND fan).  Thanks, Jake.  I understand that Jake from State Farm is too busy to have a side gig.

• Upvote 1

When Dan Hammer retired and Alex got the UND gig, he moved to and lived in Grand Forks for several years.  I know because he attended the same church as me.  But after a while, I stopped seeing him, but that could have been for any number of reasons.

7 minutes ago, Dustin said:

I'm good with Jody Norstedt doing UND's hockey broadcasts.  Hope they find a good color man.  I've noticed especially in the last year that Jake Brandt's commentary has really elevated (and my only exposure to hockey is through being a lifelong UND fan).  Thanks, Jake.  I understand that Jake from State Farm is too busy to have a side gig.

I think Jody does a fine job and if they go with hin full time, which I hope they do..... I think he will get better and better. He obviously puts in alot of work and is a pro.

For color, lots of options I thinknthey should sprinkle in a few options throughout the year a weekend here and there for a few

Personally I think Gage Ausmus would do a good job and be very interesting. He seems comfortable on mic through his podcasts...

Jordan Schmaltz for a weekend would be fun...

Move it around and connect with differtent eras of Sioux tradions and or ND hockey people.

Jody and Dean Wilson seemed to work well for Midco for the winter classic high school coverage.

Can use that to connect with different areas as well, grab a Roseau/warroad alum for a weekend.

Grab a western Canada guy for the weekend theyvget carried on TSN.

Lots of possibilities 

• Upvote 1

8 minutes ago, Frozen4sioux said:

I think Jody does a fine job and if they go with hin full time, which I hope they do..... I think he will get better and better. He obviously puts in alot of work and is a pro.

For color, lots of options I thinknthey should sprinkle in a few options throughout the year a weekend here and there for a few

Personally I think Gage Ausmus would do a good job and be very interesting. He seems comfortable on mic through his podcasts...

Jordan Schmaltz for a weekend would be fun...

Move it around and connect with differtent eras of Sioux tradions and or ND hockey people.

Jody and Dean Wilson seemed to work well for Midco for the winter classic high school coverage.

Can use that to connect with different areas as well, grab a Roseau/warroad alum for a weekend.

Grab a western Canada guy for the weekend theyvget carried on TSN.

Lots of possibilities 

I can make myself available. Some say I remind them of a young Don Cherry.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1