SiouxSports.com Forum

2023-24 University of North Dakota Hockey Season

AlphaMikeFoxtrot

I count 12 goals (out of 130 total) scored by Dmen this year ... even given some of offensive talent we have had on the blue line the last decade or so, this seems like it is a low number.  Just an observation.  

I think it is indicative of the depth of talent in the forward group as we don't rely as heavily on the shot from the point and lean on the skill of our forward group to create opportunities and shots.

I haven't researched to see what our % of goals scored by Dmen has been and may do that this weekend.

5 minutes ago, RedFrog said:

I count 12 goals (out of 130 total) scored by Dmen this year ... even given some of offensive talent we have had on the blue line the last decade or so, this seems like it is a low number.  Just an observation.  

I think it is indicative of the depth of talent in the forward group as we don't rely as heavily on the shot from the point and lean on the skill of our forward group to create opportunities and shots.

I haven't researched to see what our % of goals scored by Dmen has been and may do that this weekend.

Personally, I think it is indicative of the type of defenseman that Berry went after when he did the defensive reboot.   We needed guys that were going to be defensively responsible first and foremost, and then worry about adding to the point totals. 

It seems that both Livanavage and Wiebe have some nice upside offensively, and they both seem to realize they can be offensive when the situation dictates.  With that in mind, it is very nice that Livanavage has the most points at UND as a rookie defenseman since Brian Lee.   

In college hockey today, you need some offense from your defensemen, but like you said, with our forwards, you don't have to sell out for that offense.  I think we move more to the offensive defense in the future, and just make sure they do so responsibly and when the situation dictates.  That said, you are always going to need guys like Bennett Zmolek and Keaton Pehrson, who are just plain hard to play against.   A good balance is always desirable. 

• Like 3

3 hours ago, tnt said:

Berry went after when he did the defensive reboot

This should net Berry at least one COY honor.  Brilliant job handling that situation.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Congrats to Jake on making the NCHC All-Rookie Team:

NCHC all-rookie team

F - Miko Matikka, DU
F - Alex Bump, WMU
F - Tanner Ludtke, Omaha
D - Zeev Buium, DU
D - Jake Livanavage, NoDak
G - Isak Posch, SCSU

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

Those darn analytics.  Avert your eyes, @Oxbow6 ;)

https://www.grandforksherald.com/sports/und-hockey/analytics-show-how-jackson-blake-is-impacting-und-in-several-ways

The UND sophomore forward has racked up 52 points in 36 games entering the National Collegiate Hockey Conference playoffs.

Only three UND players in the last 20 years have tallied more points than Blake's current total — Brock Boeser (60) in 2015-16, Matt Frattin (60) in 2010-11 and Ryan Duncan (57) in 2006-07.

• Blake's offensive zone entries are 175 by stickhandle, 105 by pass and only five by dump-in.
  • Blake has drawn 21 penalties this season, most on the team. Riese Gaber is second with 14, followed by Dylan James (12), Jackson Kunz (nine) and Hunter Johannes (nine).
  • Blake leads the team in passes to the slot with 51. Owen McLaughlin is second with 41, followed by Jake Livanavage (32), Louis Jamernik V (25) and Jayden Perron (25).
  • Blake's 89% pass completion rate is tied with McLaughlin and Griffin Ness as the best among any forward on the team.
  • Blake also has the best expected goals differential on the team. UND has a plus-18 expected goal differential when Blake is on the ice. Gaber and McLaughlin are at plus-16.

2 hours ago, brianvf said:

To my (non-expert) eyes, Blake's neutral zone play, post-New Year, has gotten much more consistent: safer with the puck, while maintaining use of speed and hands to disrupt opponents.   Same for defensive zone play.  

• Upvote 1

8 hours ago, brianvf said:

Those are cold hard statistics that have actually played out. Love that stuff.  Just not a fan of the hypothetical would could nonsense that has no actual meaning on true outcomes. If I 3 putt 6 holes (Damn you Donald Ross) and drive one OB on Pinehurst #2 in a couple weeks my x18 will probably by 77 but my actual score will be 85.

9 hours ago, brianvf said:

The one stat that really jumps out at me because I've mentioned it to bunch of different people over Blake's first two years is that he will never dump the puck in even though sometimes that is the correct and really only play he has. I know he doesn't do it often but to only have dumped it in 5 times all year with how much he has the puck is absolutely crazy to me! 

1 hour ago, I Ranger said:

... to only have dumped it in 5 times all year with how much he has the puck is absolutely crazy to me! 

How many times could he have dumped but instead looped back and made another zone entry attempt? 

4 hours ago, Oxbow6 said:

Those are cold hard statistics that have actually played out. Love that stuff.  Just not a fan of the hypothetical would could nonsense that has no actual meaning on true outcomes. If I 3 putt 6 holes (Damn you Donald Ross) and drive one OB on Pinehurst #2 in a couple weeks my x18 will probably by 77 but my actual score will be 85.

I'm guessing you're not a big fan of the 'Strokes Gained' statistic

5 hours ago, I Ranger said:

The one stat that really jumps out at me because I've mentioned it to bunch of different people over Blake's first two years is that he will never dump the puck in even though sometimes that is the correct and really only play he has. I know he doesn't do it often but to only have dumped it in 5 times all year with how much he has the puck is absolutely crazy to me! 

Especially in all the close games we have had that went to overtime.  Sometimes the correct play is dumping it in.  In fact in those late game situations it absolutely should be a viable option.  I get that line doesn't have the guys always to dig the puck back out of the corner, but making the opposition go 200 feet near the end of regulation isn't necessarily a bad thing either.

• Upvote 1

9 minutes ago, SuhakiYeahYeah said:

Zmolek leads the league in blocked shots and paces 2nd place by 30 and he doesn't get selected for defensive d-man.

It’s not really a defensive defenseman award at this point. Denver has 2 guys as finalists, one of whom is also nominated for offensive defenseman. They should just get rid of the award if they aren’t going to actually award defensive play. No player has won it with less than 13 points. It’s basically an award for a typical 2- way defenseman. 

• Upvote 1

I'm guessing Blake gets both Player and Forward of the Year.
I wouldn't be surprised if Mayotte gets CoTY, but thinking it'll go to Berry with the roster turnover then vaulted to 1st.
Going with Buium for RoTY.
Mbereko for GoTY.
ZBuium for ODoTY.
Can't believe that Zmolek got the shaft for the DDoTY award and isn't a finalist.
Laba or Berg for DFoTY.

• Upvote 1