SiouxSports.com Forum

Duluth visits REA.

Wilbur

2 hours ago, Goon said:

I was told that he wasn't a team first guy, and the coaching staff walked away from him. 

Yes I have heard the reasoning behind it but how about you take a chance on a talented kid that you recruited from a young age that once you get him into this "culture" that he can become a team guy! Isn't that coaching?

2 hours ago, jk said:

This applies to many recent posts about lineup decisions, strategy, and any other program decisions.  Does anyone think they've thought of something the coaching staff hasn't?  Like, you're the genius.  These guys who have devoted their lives to it, have actually played at high levels, have seen everything you've seen but ten or twenty or a hundred times more, it hadn't occurred to them? 

Several decades ago, I learned that at any given time, about a quarter of the roster is dealing with some kind of drama, issues with girls, or substances, or school, or family, you name it.  If you recall your early twenties, you may understand.  I don't know anything about now, maybe now the drama count is zero.  The point is that there are many factors that go into decisions, and we don't have any idea what's really going on.  I should add that this concept of things going sideways for a portion of a group of college students isn't just a UND thing, or a hockey thing.  

Anyway, none of the coaches could do my job, and they'd know that.  I can't do their jobs either, but I am comforted to know that if they moved on, there are dozens of qualified posters that would clearly be upgrades.

You are correct that coaches at the college level have much more in-depth knowledge and expertise than those of us here on this board.  However, it is very possible for a coach to be so enamored and committed to their philosophy and systems that they are slow to adapt or change with the times.  It can be very difficult to do an self evaluation.   In addition, coaches are 100% responsible for the roster - evaluating talent and intangibles and selling the program.  If everyone on this board is wrong about all of the line-up and game items it still doesn't explain why we have the worst goaltending in the nation.  That's squarely on the coaches.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 3

3 hours ago, jk said:

Anyway, none of the coaches could do my job, and they'd know that.  I can't do their jobs either, but I am comforted to know that if they moved on, there are dozens of qualified posters that would clearly be upgrades.

Imagine if there was a forum dedicated to people posting about how they could do your job better. ;)

• Upvote 1

Couple of notes about our opponent:

1.  When was the last time we played a Duluth team that ranked 13 spots below us in the PWR?   Its been a while ...

2.  UND has 12 forwards with more points than Cole Spicer's 2-2=4.

3.  UMD has a lack of production from a couple "Gr" holdovers:  Tanner Laderoute and Jesse Jacques with 9 points between them, and combining for -9.

All these what if scenarios......xG record, don't blow two games with three goal leads, blah blah blah. This team is 9-10-4....that's the reality. Here's what I do know about extremely successful people....when the outcome they are looking for isn't what they are getting under continued circumstance and methodology they change both. Not real complicated. Square peg...round hole.

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

10 minutes ago, Oxbow6 said:

All these what if scenarios......xG record, don't blow two games with three goal leads, blah blah blah. This team is 9-10-4....that's the reality. Here's what I do know about extremely successful people....when the outcome they are looking for isn't what they are getting under continued circumstance and methodology they change both. Not real complicated. Square peg...round hole.

Yes, losing leads quite frequently in the third period, and not being able to come back when you are behind after two periods isn't a good combination.  

11 hours ago, brianvf said:

Imagine if there was a forum dedicated to people posting about how they could do your job better. ;)

I had that in my job, not posting but comments.  I finally told one guy if you are so smart come do my job for a day.  He said he wouldn’t know how but he was sure I didn’t know how either.  40 years later I retried :)

28 minutes ago, Kab said:

I had that in my job, not posting but comments.  I finally told one guy if you are so smart come do my job for a day.  He said he wouldn’t know how but he was sure I didn’t know how either.  40 years later I retried :)

My old boss told me that what I did was easy (I was a Category Director for proteins). Got to a point where I retired rather than listen to his crap all day. Turns out that he got demoted because he couldn't "do my job". I still chuckle over the details. Life is good! :whistling:

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, BusinessSiouxt said:

My old boss told me that what I did was easy (I was a Category Director for proteins). Got to a point where I retired rather than listen to his crap all day. Turns out that he got demoted because he couldn't "do my job". I still chuckle over the details. Life is good! :whistling:

Justice seems so rare, so it's good to hear a story of when it actually occurs. 

• Upvote 2