SiouxSports.com Forum

UND @ Youngstown 10/8/22

SiouxFan100

Just now, Sioux>Bison said:

That 4th down play was huge. Great play call by Holinka to bring 7. We knew they would throw it and had to get 16 yards down field. They put CJ out there all alone on their big WR and put trust that he would make a play. CJ made a good tackle and if not it would have been a TD. If they score there we would still have 1 min left to get a FG so that’s not as risky of a bet for our DC.

YSU made a big mistake to quit running on that last drive. They had 4 min to play with. Going one dimensional gave UND the advantage in the pass game. YSU should have taken what we gave them like they had all game. YSU passed great for a running team because we committed to stopping the run. We may have to the same against NDSu and make the beat you through the air.

They actually ran it quite well

their stud avg 9 yards per cary

13 minutes ago, Sioux>Bison said:

Blocked punt was huge but what if we get the ball back with good field position and drive down for a touchdown and burn 4+ minutes off the clock? That scenario might have been better as I feel like we scored too quick at times this game 

lots of ways that what if could have gone.  No way to know that we burn time and score a touchdown.  I'll take the 7 points every time. 

• Upvote 3

1 minute ago, Siouxperman8 said:

lots of ways that what if could have gone.  No way to know that we burn time and score a touchdown.  I'll take the 7 points every time. 

Me too I’ll take the 7 too but to say the blocked punt was the difference in the game is not quite true. We could have had the game put away in that other scenario and not put our defense out there for the final drive. It could have been a less stressful finish to the game!

25 minutes ago, SiouxFan100 said:

As we all would agree

the game was never in doubt 

Yeah I felt that way after the game. Our defense had a hard time stopping them all game. Our offense had to keep scoring and every time they got stopped gave me more heartburn. I’m glad we came out on top!

4 hours ago, MNHawk said:

Why does it always feel like we can be competitive with anyone? No matter how good or bad they are. We really seem to play to the level of our opponents. 

YSU has a good team, I wouldn’t say they are a bottom feeder this year. They figured out how to throw in this game so I suppose that will give them another dimension in upcoming valley games. Their QB played well for his first start 

5 hours ago, UND-FB-FAN said:

Nope. We’re both aware what was written. Backpedaling now won’t work.

What I said was successes and failures are primarily up to the players. I also said players and coaches are responsible for successes and failures and that responsibility varies at different times. I didn’t say “coaches have very little to do with losing games”. I didn’t backpedal you just didn’t read my posts clearly. I still believe that players are primarily responsible. Coaches and players can make critical mistakes and coaches and players can make key contributions. I’m not sure what put a burr under your saddle but I’m sure sorry if any of that somehow hurts your feelings. 
In this game, our players seemed well prepared and coaches were making good calls and the players executed. Defensively we struggled most of the game after the first series. In the last part of the game our clock management/play calling was suspect and our special teams and (in the end) our defense made the difference. I’m not sure who to blame for our secondary play. Our special teams weren’t as special today. Missed FG, punting wasn’t good, some poor KO and KO coverage. Both players and coaches are responsible for our struggles. But players and coaches overcame the adversity and won a game against a decent team. 
There isn’t a “gimme game” in this league. Today was a big win on the road that we had to have. 

• Upvote 4

5 hours ago, iramurphy said:

What I said was successes and failures are primarily up to the players. I also said players and coaches are responsible for successes and failures and that responsibility varies at different times. I didn’t say “coaches have very little to do with losing games”. I didn’t backpedal you just didn’t read my posts clearly. I still believe that players are primarily responsible. Coaches and players can make critical mistakes and coaches and players can make key contributions. I’m not sure what put a burr under your saddle but I’m sure sorry if any of that somehow hurts your feelings. 
In this game, our players seemed well prepared and coaches were making good calls and the players executed. Defensively we struggled most of the game after the first series. In the last part of the game our clock management/play calling was suspect and our special teams and (in the end) our defense made the difference. I’m not sure who to blame for our secondary play. Our special teams weren’t as special today. Missed FG, punting wasn’t good, some poor KO and KO coverage. Both players and coaches are responsible for our struggles. But players and coaches overcame the adversity and won a game against a decent team. 
There isn’t a “gimme game” in this league. Today was a big win on the road that we had to have. 

Coaches recruit the players and put them into position to be successful (or not be successful). Huge part of the game; hence, constant coaching turnover all over the country by programs where money (buying out contracts) isn’t the issue. 

UND’s defense has struggled all year, but has made timely plays. This is why Bubba has stressed complimentary football in 2022 to overcome this. Nothing could be more true on 10/8 vs YSU, especially when you factor in special teams scoring and the defense forcing a stop to win the game. Probability says you are far more likely to win when you score on special teams and/or defense. 

Fun fact: both of UND’s road wins this season have required scoring from non-offense units. Defense scored at NAU, Special Teams scored at YSU.

• Upvote 3

5 minutes ago, Kab said:

Good that the HC IS THE OC now too, they must be scoring way more now 

To be fair.  According to Massey ratings.  Their SoS games played is ranked #1.  So their rank for SoF strength of future schedule is ranked #1.

That is brutal.

30 minutes ago, Nodak78 said:

To be fair.  According to Massey ratings.  Their SoS games played is ranked #1.  So their rank for SoF strength of future schedule is ranked #1.

That is brutal.

Watched part of his first game as OC

i think they called all their first half time outs because he couldn’t get the play in on time

must be some growing pains

does he get his contract renewed next year?

5 minutes ago, Kab said:

Watched part of his first game as OC

i think they called all their first half time outs because he couldn’t get the play in on time

must be some growing pains

does he get his contract renewed next year?

6 games left.  My guess he needs to minimum of three more to keep his job.  Not sure he can.  I wonder what the yotes fan board has to say.  They were ranked preseason.  Ouch.