SiouxSports.com Forum

UND @ Youngstown 10/8/22

SiouxFan100

2 hours ago, siouxfan512 said:

Show us how it’s done Uncle Rico. I bet you could throw a football over them there mountains too.

even tho i can...doesn't change the fact that these are easy throws and this might be the reason that a majority of tommy's throws travel about 10 yards at the most....yet when he needed to chuck a deep one under pressure against NAU he made it look easy...right on the numbers.

3 hours ago, Nacho said:

Really liked the play when Q lined up in the shotgun charged up under center for the snap like we've all seen in the past, everyone and their mothers thinking power run/sneak up the middle, nope, misdirection right, pitch to Smith left, nobody even in the vicinity!  Touchdown. Great call.  

I did say that I loved the misdirection pitch to smith last week and would love to see another variety of the same play .... Danny is monitoring the boards.

I also said the same thing about using Q with that type of play. He did something very similar last year with Skokna. Everyone in the building though Q would sneak up the middle for a yard or two, ended up giving it to Luke on a sweep and he took it for big yardage outside. Might have been the Spring season.

• Upvote 1

18 hours ago, Sioux>Bison said:

Me too I’ll take the 7 too but to say the blocked punt was the difference in the game is not quite true. We could have had the game put away in that other scenario and not put our defense out there for the final drive. It could have been a less stressful finish to the game!

I stand by my take that the punt block and TD was the difference in the game and I guess at least a few others agree with that.   

----------------------------------

GF Herald headline - UND's blocked punt carries No. 22 Fighting Hawks to 35-30 win over Youngstown State

• Upvote 2

7 hours ago, Nacho said:

Really liked the play when Q lined up in the shotgun charged up under center for the snap like we've all seen in the past, everyone and their mothers thinking power run/sneak up the middle, nope, misdirection right, pitch to Smith left, nobody even in the vicinity!  Touchdown. Great call.  

We've had a lot of highlight reel TDs this year for sure.

19 minutes ago, CMSioux said:

Just got home from the 1,904 mile road trip. Other than it being a very long drive it was a great weekend. The Youngstown State tailgaters were very welcoming. It is an Italian community so enjoyed a huge gourmet Italian buffet, complete with a lounge lizzard singing Frank Sinatra songs (quite well) in the tailgate lot. Fun to be in the largest FCS stadium in the country. Blocked punt and the screen pass TD were at our end. Lots of player's parents there enjoying the day. 

That is a heck of a road trip.  Sure is better driving back after getting a win though! 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 3

5 hours ago, CMSioux said:

Just got home from the 1,904 mile road trip. Other than it being a very long drive it was a great weekend. The Youngstown State tailgaters were very welcoming. It is an Italian community so enjoyed a huge gourmet Italian buffet, complete with a lounge lizzard singing Frank Sinatra songs (quite well) in the tailgate lot. Fun to be in the largest FCS stadium in the country. Blocked punt and the screen pass TD were at our end. Lots of player's parents there enjoying the day. 

Just curious - any particular reason you chose this game to attend?

15 hours ago, Siouxperman8 said:

I stand by my take that the punt block and TD was the difference in the game and I guess at least a few others agree with that.   

----------------------------------

GF Herald headline - UND's blocked punt carries No. 22 Fighting Hawks to 35-30 win over Youngstown State

Anybody know if Nate is alright, I believe it was him that grabbed knee? stupid turf and non contact. 

45 minutes ago, SIOUX29 said:

Anybody know if Nate is alright, I believe it was him that grabbed knee? stupid turf and non contact. 

From the replay angle that i saw, it appeared he took a knee to his groin/privates when they did the chest bump.  I think that was what happened.  

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

Another observation from this week's game ... The YSU QB put some serious heat on a few of his throws, especially on that last TD drive. He was throwing some bullets out there. We heard there was some accuracy issues last week, but he played pretty darn well. One could argue we game up a lot of soft coverage, but accuracy didn't really seem to be an issue for most of the game.

35 minutes ago, Hardcore Hawk said:

Big moment of the game too was Ocansey knocking away the 2-point conversion attempt, forcing YSU to need a touchdown to win it instead of a field goal to tie it. I think Ocansey has been playing a lot better, and is especially good when playing man coverages. He's very instinctual and always stays tight to the receiver. 

he just needs to watch out for a 15 yarder for taunting....he's been close imo

36 minutes ago, Hardcore Hawk said:

Yeah, needs to stop standing over the opposing receiver and flexing in his face, that's going to get him sometime soon if he doesn't stop

I hope the coaches are addressing that with the players before it potentially costs us a game.  On the road there can be some homer calls as it is, so don't give the officials a chance to use a judgement call against you.  

• Like 1

On 10/7/2022 at 9:13 PM, UND-FB-FAN said:

Typical bull$%!#. 
UND with its typical ass backwards !@#$. No attempt to compete with the big boys of the region (NDSU, SDSU, Minnesota, etc.).

.. emphasize a niche sport with minimal competition in an over-funded arena …  

The football game was on 96.1, they moved hockey to 100.3.
Not that you would actually bother to try to get anything straight, much easier to just complain about literally everything.

On 10/8/2022 at 8:53 PM, forksandspoons said:

My play of the game. What a run! 

At least Hoos is polite enough to run guys over while they are looking at him instead of plowing into a defender being blocked. One of those is actually worth getting excited about, the other gets the media all hot and bothered in Fargo.

5 hours ago, The Sicatoka said:

Largest in the conference at least?

i've never really understood why some guys/teams don't just whip the ball somewhere anywhere when they know  they are getting tackled the other team is taking the v formation...on that last play against ysu why the hell doesn't that guy throw the ball to someone/anyone in red the second you know your going down...anything can happen....or just get tackled and take the "L" i guess?