SiouxSports.com Forum

UND @ Youngstown 10/8/22

SiouxFan100

39 minutes ago, Dustin said:

This game is totally winnable, right?  We should be 4-2 at the bye week, which would be a good spot to be in. 

It's not only winnable, it's a game we should win.  Youngstown apparently played pretty well in the Fargodome today, so it's definitely no 'Gimme'.  That said I expect we play much better on the road next week than we did against SIU, and I'm expecting a win. 

1 minute ago, SiouxFan100 said:

I don’t know where to post this but I thought most of kickoffs coming into the last game went into the end zone with no return risk. That wasn’t the case with Missouri state. Was that by design? Or what was up with that?

I think they have a pretty good return guy, so I doubt it was by design.  They weren't horrible kickoffs today, but yeah not as deep as before.  I think there was one touchback we had. 

3 minutes ago, SiouxFan100 said:

Another positive is the qb sneaks by Quincy nothing fancy. He picks the weak spot

also just to have the oline provide the one two three yards when needed is super nice

He has gotten really good at that...picking the spot and powering through.  I don't want to jinx it, but can't remember the first time he didn't get it on 3rd or 4th and 1.  It's really nice having that be almost automatic.   Let's not talk about that 4th and 2 though :blush:

3 hours ago, Sioux94 said:

It's not only winnable, it's a game we should win.  Youngstown apparently played pretty well in the Fargodome today, so it's definitely no 'Gimme'.  That said I expect we play much better on the road next week than we did against SIU, and I'm expecting a win. 

They were nothing special. Some solid playmaker. QB's were not good.

8 hours ago, Sioux94 said:

He has gotten really good at that...picking the spot and powering through.  I don't want to jinx it, but can't remember the first time he didn't get it on 3rd or 4th and 1.  It's really nice having that be almost automatic.   Let's not talk about that 4th and 2 though :blush:

Needing single yard is the only situation he should play a snap.

On paper, this is a good matchup for UND. Youngstown’s QB/passing game isn’t that explosive, but UND’s secondary has holes also. YSU does have a good running game, though, and their defense isn’t too bad.

Off paper, as we know, UND needs to get over the hump and win a couple big road games per season. It is as much mental/confidence at this point as anything. 

Watched the film from all but their FBS game against Kentucky, and here's what I saw:

Offense

• Look for Hoosman to have another big game. He should get a lot of opportunities again and should be able to churn out some big plays
  • Besides YSU’s game against Kentucky, we have the best passing game they’ve seen so far. Duquesne and Dayton have bad offenses altogether, and NDSU can’t/won’t pass at all
  • Tough to really judge their defense so far, they looked okay/decent against some bad FCS teams, stacked 8-9 in the box against NDSU, and got worked over by Kentucky

Defense/Special Teams

• Their rb McGlauglin will get his yards. He is small in stature, 5’9”, 180, but he is strong and slippery. He consistently got yardage after contact against all teams so far but Kentucky. 
  • Speaking of McGlauglin, they run a ton of screens to him to get him in space. He’ll produce 70-80 percent of their offense
  • They run most of their offense through zone reads, so ends and linebackers need to know their assignments
  • Expect an interception by our defense this week. Both their qbs stink at throwing the ball
  • Wouldn’t be surprised to see Siegel return one this week, he’s been close nearly every game, I think he can bust one this week

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, Hardcore Hawk said:

Watched the film from all but their FBS game against Kentucky, and here's what I saw:

Offense

• Look for Hoosman to have another big game. He should get a lot of opportunities again and should be able to churn out some big plays
  • Besides YSU’s game against Kentucky, we have the best passing game they’ve seen so far. Duquesne and Dayton have bad offenses altogether, and NDSU can’t/won’t pass at all
  • Tough to really judge their defense so far, they looked okay/decent against some bad FCS teams, stacked 8-9 in the box against NDSU, and got worked over by Kentucky

Defense/Special Teams

• Their rb McGlauglin will get his yards. He is small in stature, 5’9”, 180, but he is strong and slippery. He consistently got yardage after contact against all teams so far but Kentucky. 
  • Speaking of McGlauglin, they run a ton of screens to him to get him in space. He’ll produce 70-80 percent of their offense
  • They run most of their offense through zone reads, so ends and linebackers need to know their assignments
  • Expect an interception by our defense this week. Both their qbs stink at throwing the ball
  • Wouldn’t be surprised to see Siegel return one this week, he’s been close nearly every game, I think he can bust one this week

Really comes down to how well UND stops the run and runs the ball on Saturday; that’s because that will allow UND to protect the ball and put YSU into challenging scenarios that lead to turnovers for UND.

Last time UND traveled on the road (to Southern Illinois), the team was beyond flat and couldn’t run the ball. 

If UND *expects* to win this game and be a playoff team, they need to actually travel their physicality and be able to run and stop the run.

With all that said, Schuster and Freund are always wild cards and I agree that UND’s passing game could be the difference if UND wins.

• Upvote 1