SiouxSports.com Forum

Homecoming

shep

12 hours ago, shep said:

Very curious how many will get the Tarzan/Jane reference.

I'm mostly hopeful, but the D scares me this year. As one poster put it, 3 of their TD's involved their player not being touched! How does that happen?

Which makes the lack of playing time of Buckner at safety a head scratcher.   I’ve never seen a practice but from all of Millers write ups during camp he was making plays.  If our secondary is going to get beat with guys who know the defense but just can’t make a play, may as well play the guy who can make a play if he can get into the right spot.  Worse case is we get scored on anyway.  

• Upvote 3

Took me a little longer this week to watch any film on Missouri State, I was feeling down after a lifeless game on Saturday. Finally got to it today, here's what I saw from Mo St:

Offense

• Mo State will drop 8 into coverage on passing downs, opportunity for delayed handoffs to pick up chunk yards
  • I have a feeling this game we’ll see Danny unload some gadget plays. Seems like these games, when we play a good opponent at home, are when Danny dials up the trickeration
  • Average linebackers for Missouri St, especially in run game, o-line needs to get to second level, lock on, and push them to the third and fourth level

Defense/Special Teams

• Shelley will probably have 7-8 rushes that pick up first downs. On the other 50 plays, we need to rein him in. 
  • They run a lot out of 4 receiver sets, spreading defense out. Need to clog run lanes up the middle
  • Broken record, but corners and safeties NEED to get on the same page, love taking deep shots on early downs
  • SDSU had two missed field goals in the first half, we need to execute on special teams
  • Upvote 1

9 hours ago, forksandspoons said:

Need a big and loud crowd on Saturday as this is a huge opportunity against a highly ranked team! 

Might start something but it's still frustrating the our students have no clue how to create a home field atmosphere other than on third down. Also can't understand how our band and sound system person continue to play their music loud right up to when we snap the ball - you would think someone would have talked to them by now about keeping quiet when we are in our huddle.  

• Like 2

28 minutes ago, CMSioux said:

Might start something but it's still frustrating the our students have no clue how to create a home field atmosphere other than on third down. Also can't understand how our band and sound system person continue to play their music loud right up to when we snap the ball - you would think someone would have talked to them by now about keeping quiet when we are in our huddle.  

I think the fans need a control button on volume.  The only way to solve the problem.

1 hour ago, CMSioux said:

Honestly the PA announcer should prompt the crowd to get up and get loud on all downs when UND is on defense. This idea that the crowd should only be prompted when it’s 3rd down is lazy. 

For when UND’s on offense, they definitely shouldn’t be playing music loud right before the snap … do that when UND’s on defense!! also, they could put on the big screens “quiet, offense at work” or something like that when UND has the ball.

this is sad for a couple reasons:

1) shows how uninvolved UND athletics is with anything football (they have a bunch of NHL goons in the athletic department)

2) shows just how uneducated fans of UND football are about football in general … or just how unenthusiastic (apathetic) they are about UND football 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, UND-FB-FAN said:

Honestly the PA announcer should prompt the crowd to get up and get loud on all downs when UND is on defense. This idea that the crowd should only be prompted when it’s 3rd down is lazy. 

For when UND’s on offense, they definitely shouldn’t be playing music loud right before the snap … do that when UND’s on defense!! also, they could put on the big screens “quiet, offense at work” or something like that when UND has the ball.

this is sad for a couple reasons:

1) shows how uninvolved UND athletics is with anything football (they have a bunch of NHL goons in the athletic department)

2) shows just how uneducated fans of UND football are about football in general … or just how unenthusiastic (apathetic) they are about UND football 

Band director needs to get on board 

• Upvote 2

9 hours ago, Hardcore Hawk said:

Took me a little longer this week to watch any film on Missouri State, I was feeling down after a lifeless game on Saturday. Finally got to it today, here's what I saw from Mo St:

Offense

• Mo State will drop 8 into coverage on passing downs, opportunity for delayed handoffs to pick up chunk yards
  • I have a feeling this game we’ll see Danny unload some gadget plays. Seems like these games, when we play a good opponent at home, are when Danny dials up the trickeration
  • Average linebackers for Missouri St, especially in run game, o-line needs to get to second level, lock on, and push them to the third and fourth level

Defense/Special Teams

• Shelley will probably have 7-8 rushes that pick up first downs. On the other 50 plays, we need to rein him in. 
  • They run a lot out of 4 receiver sets, spreading defense out. Need to clog run lanes up the middle
  • Broken record, but corners and safeties NEED to get on the same page, love taking deep shots on early downs
  • SDSU had two missed field goals in the first half, we need to execute on special teams

Forced myself to watch the UND @ SIU highlights finally … in summary, UND’s safeties are god awful. Worst I’ve seen in a long time. 

- they need to try new players and/or schemes. Coley and Kauppinen looked … let’s just say … graded out poorly, which is not new. Can’t cover, can’t tackle. 

- UND tried to play zone on 3rd and long but the safeties and linebackers had no idea what they were doing, tons of miscommunication. Wide open players in the middle of the field all day long - need to do a better job coaching these guys up on zone coverage or go to man!!

- 2022 should not only put Bubba on the hot seat but also DC Holinka and safeties coach Schwenzfeier … 

- I think Missouri State will put up a lot of points on Saturday, unless they implode internally. 

3 hours ago, UND-FB-FAN said:

Forced myself to watch the UND @ SIU highlights finally … in summary, UND’s safeties are god awful. Worst I’ve seen in a long time. 

- they need to try new players and/or schemes. Coley and Kauppinen looked … let’s just say … graded out poorly, which is not new. Can’t cover, can’t tackle. 

- UND tried to play zone on 3rd and long but the safeties and linebackers had no idea what they were doing, tons of miscommunication. Wide open players in the middle of the field all day long - need to do a better job coaching these guys up on zone coverage or go to man!!

- 2022 should not only put Bubba on the hot seat but also DC Holinka and safeties coach Schwenzfeier … 

- I think Missouri State will put up a lot of points on Saturday, unless they implode internally. 

I had forgot that Schwenzfeier moved to Safety from his previous OLB coaching position. I believe back in like 2018 Bubba was coaching deep secondary/safeties and that was a week spot and thats why some movement went on.

Also we should be able to get pressure without sending multiple guys on blitz every play. SIU had no problem with our blitzing and were not getting penetration from what I noticed. We used to be able to send one up the middle or bluff and allowed some speedy edge to get in the backfield. 

13 hours ago, sioux24/7 said:

To the Al parking lot by 8am. 

Why so late??

13 hours ago, UND-FB-FAN said:

also, they could put on the big screens “quiet, offense at work” or something like that when UND has the ball.

Not sure the last time they did it, but this is definitely something that has been done before.

58 minutes ago, AJS said:

Per 360, on the year UND has allowed a 59% conversion rate on 3rd downs. No surprise, that is the worst in the MVFC. One week at a time, Missouri State's % this week will be the difference in the game. If they are <50% UND wins.

Yeah the team needs to help the fans out a bit.  It's deflating to be getting extra loud on 3rd and long and watch the opponent convert time and time again.

• Upvote 2