SiouxSports.com Forum

cberkas

3 hours ago, nodak651 said:

Not sure if it was mentioned here, but UAF got hit with NCAA penalties this spring. 

https://www.ncaa.org/news/2022/3/18/media-center-ncaa-violations-occurred-at-alaska-fairbanks.aspx#:~:text=Alaska Fairbanks and the enforcement staff agreed that the violations,rules education or monitoring processes.

Impermissible inducement and benefits violations
Alaska Fairbanks, the head men's ice hockey coach and the NCAA enforcement staff agreed that the men's ice hockey coaching staff violated impermissible inducement and benefits rules when they arranged free or reduced-cost lodging for at least 18 incoming prospective student-athletes to stay with representatives and current student-athletes before the school's dorms opened for the fall semester. The impermissible benefits totaled more than $2,000. As a result of the violations, eight student-athletes competed and received actual and necessary expenses while ineligible.

Additionally, a representative of the school athletics interests provided an impermissible benefit by allowing three student-athletes to use their vehicle on an as-needed basis for at least 15 days.

Head coach responsibility violation
All parties agreed that the head coach violated head coach responsibility rules and did not promote an atmosphere of compliance because of his involvement in arranging the housing accommodations. Further, he failed to monitor his staff, did not consult with compliance or self-detect violations that were occurring within his program.

Failure to monitor violation
Alaska Fairbanks and the enforcement staff agreed that the violations in the men's ice hockey program demonstrated that the school violated the NCAA principle of rules compliance by failing to establish adequate compliance reporting systems, rules education or monitoring processes.

Penalties
For the men's ice hockey violations, the school, the head men's ice hockey coach and the enforcement staff used ranges identified by the Division I membership-approved infractions penalty guidelines to agree on Level II-Standard penalties for the school and Level II-Mitigated penalties for the head coach.  For the certification-related violations, the school and the enforcement staff used past case guidance and Division II Bylaw 19.5 to agree upon penalties for the school.  The agreements contain the full list of penalties approved by the Division I and II Committees on Infractions, including:

Three years of probation.
A $7,500 fine.
A two-week ban on off-campus recruiting contacts, evaluations and recruiting communications in men's ice hockey during the 2021-22 academic year.
A 2% competition suspension during the men's ice hockey regular season for the head coach (at Alaska Fairbanks or any school that employs him).
Vacation of team and individual records in which student-athletes competed while ineligible.
The school must undergo an outside audit of its athletics policies and procedures.
The athletics director and compliance staff must attend NCAA Regional Rules Seminars each year of the probationary period. 
All staff members with eligibility certification-related responsibilities must also attend Regional Rules Seminars during the first two years of the probationary period.

Kinda highlights why so many people hate the NC$$. Meanwhile offensive linemen are pocketing $50,000 checks.

46 minutes ago, gfhockey said:

Damn not even in the final 3

:D

Yes, he's quite the blue-chipper.  Scored 15g in 59 games with the Lancers last season as a 19yo.  ;) 

Denver had an open forward spot (so does UMN), so just needed a body.  I would guess UMN will pickup another older forward recruit before the season starts too.

1 minute ago, brianvf said:

:D

Yes, he's quite the blue-chipper.  Scored 15g in 59 games with the Lancers last season as a 19yo.  ;) 

Denver had an open forward spot (so does UMN), so just needed a body.  I would guess UMN will pickup another older forward recruit before the season starts too.

Minnesota has 9 D. Heard they may just have one play at forward if they get desperate instead of finding another forward. 

On 8/14/2022 at 6:28 PM, cberkas said:

Arizona States arena walk through, might notice former Fighting Sioux goalie Steve Peters

Looks like a pretty nice arena...hope Brad get's these guys on the schedule for a home and home series.

• Upvote 1

Gophers posted their roster for this upcoming season:

https://gophersports.com/sports/mens-ice-hockey/roster/2022-23?&sort=position

Only 14F and only 4 of those 14 are upperclassmen.  Very young forward group.  They have a very talented d-corps and some talented freshmen coming in, but I could see some of their lower lines struggling a bit at first like many freshman forwards do.

Looking at Denver next year, Guttman (45 points) just signed last week with Chicago, all eyes are on Stapley (43 points) who did not sign with Montreal and like Guttman became a Free Agent. I'm guessing he'll sign as well, because you would most likely have heard otherwise if he was planning on coming back.

IF Stapley signs, Denver will lose all four players that averaged over a PPG last year, including Wright who was a Grad Transfer, those 5 combined for 55% of the teams goals and 45% of the points. Denver reloads, has great returning players, loaded freshman class and two great transfers, but you'd think they would take a slight step back this upcoming year. Still will be a very good team though.

https://viewfromtheglass.com/2022/08/20/sayler-end-of-nchc-ccha-possible/

“Long term, I think the thing to really watch for is: Will the Summit League want to sponsor hockey – which is an all-sport Division I conference? Will the MAC consider sponsoring hockey, which is an all-sport conference that we can populate?” Sayler 

And there has been constant chatter about Arizona State, and I just have no interest in crossing another time zone to play sports. So if the league is going to continue to push that direction, that is certainly something that would cause us to think differently about what’s going on.”

The part about Arizona State, it’s like he doesn’t know Arizona is in Mountain time (year round) and they play two teams in mountain time. 

There are times it just feels like Miami thinks, along with some of their fans, they are better than they are and they are going to dictate some sort of realignment. I just don’t see Western Michigan wanting to leave the NCHC, which that have become a top team. 

This whole thing that some Miami fans have with the glory days of the CCHA. They do realize that Michigan, Michigan State, Ohio State, and Notre Dame, the teams they claim is why players came to play at Miami, because those were the teams they’d play each year are not there anymore. Going back to the CCHA to play lesser known teams isn’t going to fix that. 

• Upvote 2