SiouxSports.com Forum

cberkas

1 hour ago, cberkas said:

https://viewfromtheglass.com/2022/08/20/sayler-end-of-nchc-ccha-possible/

The part about Arizona State, it’s like he doesn’t know Arizona is in Mountain time (year round) and they play two teams in mountain time. 

There are times it just feels like Miami thinks, along with some of their fans, they are better than they are and they are going to dictate some sort of realignment. I just don’t see Western Michigan wanting to leave the NCHC, which that have become a top team. 

This whole thing that some Miami fans have with the glory days of the CCHA. They do realize that Michigan, Michigan State, Ohio State, and Notre Dame, the teams they claim is why players came to play at Miami, because those were the teams they’d play each year are not there anymore. Going back to the CCHA to play lesser known teams isn’t going to fix that. 

This interview, along with an interview I listened to with Robert Morris's new head coach, and Fenton's move to the Summit League makes me think that Summit hockey is imminent.  I think Fenton was in position to see that change is coming.

1 hour ago, The Sicatoka said:

There is no way Miami would leave the MAC, a G5 FBS conference, for the Summit League. Period. 

With that the author told me he knows nothing of conference alignments. 

Non-Summit NCHC schools would just be affiliates like in soccer, baseball, or other sports.

If single sport conferences (going away)becomes a thing, the MAC would definitely be an option for BGSU, the ccha schools, and potentially Miami and WMU as well, however (wmu would be more unlikely to leave).  It's not like Miami would be much of a loss anyway, especially if they would be replaced by a school like Mankato, St. Thomas, or ASU.

1 hour ago, The Sicatoka said:

There is no way Miami would leave the MAC, a G5 FBS conference, for the Summit League. Period. 

With that the author told me he knows nothing of conference alignments. 

No, not leaving the MAC ever for the Summit League.  He meant if the one-sport conferences need more representation from an all-sports conference (like the recruiting rule deal the B10 tried to pull) and the Summit League sponsors hockey, Miami could join as a hockey affiliate member only.  Plan B would be MAC sponsored hockey and some kind of combination of Miami, WMU, BG, Ferris State, U of Alabama-Huntsville (who says they have the money to restart, just need a conference and is actually a closer bus ride from Miami and BG then any UPer Peninsula Michigan Teams.  Basically in Plan B or C, The Summit (NCHC) and MAC would divide up the CCHA and there would be Summit League, MAC, and Big Ten hockey and whatever Hockey East would end up doing (Big East?)  But more likely, Miami and WMU stays in the NCHC and the current commish becomes the "Associate Summit League Commish" and NCHC just gets a Summit League sticker slapped on rebranded as such.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, #MACtion said:

... the current commish becomes the "Associate Summit League Commish" and NCHC just gets a Summit League sticker slapped on rebranded as such.

Basically what the MVFC has with the MVC right now: the NCHC becomes the SLHC, or SHC. 

In that scenario, forget having an associate commish; let Fenton run it all. 

20 hours ago, cberkas said:

https://viewfromtheglass.com/2022/08/20/sayler-end-of-nchc-ccha-possible/

The part about Arizona State, it’s like he doesn’t know Arizona is in Mountain time (year round) and they play two teams in mountain time. 

There are times it just feels like Miami thinks, along with some of their fans, they are better than they are and they are going to dictate some sort of realignment. I just don’t see Western Michigan wanting to leave the NCHC, which that have become a top team. 

This whole thing that some Miami fans have with the glory days of the CCHA. They do realize that Michigan, Michigan State, Ohio State, and Notre Dame, the teams they claim is why players came to play at Miami, because those were the teams they’d play each year are not there anymore. Going back to the CCHA to play lesser known teams isn’t going to fix that. 

Quote from Miami AD Sayler:  "I will say that she (new NCHC Commissioner Weems) also has a really good grasp on the potential of regionalizing college hockey a bit more."

Translation:  We spend too much money on travel and would rather be in a bus league.  Might also mean he wouid like the "eastern division of NCHC" to include Bowling Green and other MAC-footprint schools.

PS:  During daylight savings time - the beginning and end of the season - Arizona State is 3 time zones off from Ohio.  

4 hours ago, farce poobah said:

Quote from Miami AD Sayler:  "I will say that she (new NCHC Commissioner Weems) also has a really good grasp on the potential of regionalizing college hockey a bit more."

Translation:  We spend too much money on travel and would rather be in a bus league.  Might also mean he wouid like the "eastern division of NCHC" to include Bowling Green and other MAC-footprint schools.

PS:  During daylight savings time - the beginning and end of the season - Arizona State is 3 time zones off from Ohio.  

BG might be the olive branch for bringing in Arizona State.

• Upvote 2

On 8/24/2022 at 2:53 PM, #MACtion said:

BG might be the olive branch for bringing in Arizona State.

Meh, wouldn't be what I'd do, but that wouldn't be the worst possible outcome.  Many upsides to adding both of those programs.  I'm somewhat of a closet bgsu fan as well... great old school barn.. they just need to finish off the one end like Michigan Tech, and it would be a top ten venue imo.  Kinda looks like the old ralph.

On 8/29/2022 at 12:42 PM, nodak651 said:

Meh, wouldn't be what I'd do, but that wouldn't be the worst possible outcome.  Many upsides to adding both of those programs.  I'm somewhat of a closet bgsu fan as well... great old school barn.. they just need to finish off the one end like Michigan Tech, and it would be a top ten venue imo.  Kinda looks like the old ralph.

Adding Bowling Green wouldn't be bad at all.  They take their hockey serious.  The MAC hockey is kinda of a strange crew to y'all I suppose, because we still like our #MACtion football and spend more money and focus their first.  Hockey and Basketball are pretty much tied....  I just know BG fans are super pissed that Western and Miami are not in the same conference as them and I don't care one bit.  Just giving y'all some background and context.  We all go through cycles and I think Miami will be stronger soon with Berg...  We were always a bit better than Western in the CCHA, so if Western can stay strong in the NCHC, then there is no reason Miami won't be back... at least Miami won an NCHC Tourney Championship that WMU has never done.