SiouxSports.com Forum

2022-23 University of North Dakota Hockey Season

Frozen4sioux

54 minutes ago, stoneySIOUX said:

Updated: Ness and Monty were both at practice, but not playing. Neither had a cast or anything noticable 

Moore - Frisch
Kleven - Farmer
Jandric - Johnson
Bast - Sidorski

Jandric - Johnson leaves me wondering who's managing the defensive zone. 

1 hour ago, stoneySIOUX said:

I think Moore is paired with Farmer a lot and has a massive year. 

I agree. And I like Jandric with Johnson too because Jandric is good defensively (I think he was 2nd best in plus/minus last year) and may give Johnson a little more of a green light to move the puck up the ice and jump in more often offensively 

Just now, hockeytherapy13 said:

I agree. And I like Jandric with Johnson too because Jandric is good defensively (I think he was 2nd best in plus/minus last year) and may give Johnson a little more of a green light to move the puck up the ice and jump in more often offensively 

I just realize Sic commented on this haha. I really think they use Jandric defensively because it was clear he doesn’t have the offensive prowess in the NCHC that he did in the (former) wcha. That’ll give Johnson the ability to roam a bit while Jandric stays home

I've guessed at: 

Kleven - Frisch
Jandric - Farmer

... then an epic weekly battle for the third pair slots. 

I've pondered to some that Moore-Johnson-Bast-Sidorski would be the top four on about half the college teams out there.
< convince me I'm wrong meme here > 

• Upvote 1

8 minutes ago, AJS said:

This team is going to be really good this year. They will be a #1 seed in March. 

I feel the same way. So much good leadership and our defense will be absolute stalwarts. Assuming progression in goal scoring from returners and a bunch of new, highly-skilled forwards, we have something cookin.

The #1 seed guarantee is based on a few things. Defensively they'll be elite. Goaltending above average. Offensively, an average / slightly above average NCHC Top 6, but where I really think this team will shine offensively is the bottom 6 / depth. I was thinking what forward group this team reminds me of and I thought 2019 had a lot of similarities. Coming off a very down year, they would come at you in waves. This is going to be a fun year.

• Like 2
  • Upvote 2

1 hour ago, The Sicatoka said:

I've guessed at: 

Kleven - Frisch
Jandric - Farmer

... then an epic weekly battle for the third pair slots. 

I've pondered to some that Moore-Johnson-Bast-Sidorski would be the top four on about half the college teams out there.
< convince me I'm wrong meme here > 

https://www.eliteprospects.com/player/333842/ryan-sidorski

28 minutes ago, scpa0305 said:

Not sure if you are saying Sidorski doesn't meet my "top four other places" notion? At Union his last season ... 

Finished fourth on the team in ice time at nearly 18 minutes per contest … Ranked among the top-5 on the team in each season for blocked shots, including sitting third in 2021-22 with 40 ... 

He got play at Union. 

I'm sure this will be a good team but I'm not quite as optimistic as some are. I don't see this team winning as many draws as the past couple of teams. Scoring could be challenging too. There seems to be a lot of confidence in the freshmen, and not much scoring punch coming back (Gaber excepted). Certainly, will be a tournament team.

21 minutes ago, siouxfaninseattle said:

I'm sure this will be a good team but I'm not quite as optimistic as some are. I don't see this team winning as many draws as the past couple of teams. Scoring could be challenging too. There seems to be a lot of confidence in the freshmen, and not much scoring punch coming back (Gaber excepted). Certainly, will be a tournament team.

This team will possess the puck just fine, IMO. They may not win A LOT of draws, but they are loaded with big, strong, fast bodies that will dig out pucks. 

Guys like Schmaltz, Costantini, Judd, Kunz, Portz should all take scoring steps. That's 30+ goals from those guys. Hain was having a fantastic start to his season and along with contributors like Sendo and Jammer, they should AT LEAST score as much as they did last year. With them adding high impact freshmen to a deep and skilled d-corps, I think you may be a little bit underselling the scoring punch. We'll be average to above average in goal scoring. Pair that with a top tier D and solid goaltending, you have a very good to great team. 

• Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, stoneySIOUX said:

This team will possess the puck just fine, IMO. They may not win A LOT of draws, but they are loaded with big, strong, fast bodies that will dig out pucks. 

Guys like Schmaltz, Costantini, Judd, Kunz, Portz should all take scoring steps. That's 30+ goals from those guys. Hain was having a fantastic start to his season and along with contributors like Sendo and Jammer, they should AT LEAST score as much as they did last year. With them adding high impact freshmen to a deep and skilled d-corps, I think you may be a little bit underselling the scoring punch. We'll be average to above average in goal scoring. Pair that with a top tier D and solid goaltending, you have a very good to great team. 

Agreed, this team will be really good.  Not a ton of raw skill at the upperclassmen level, but hopefully there’s enough grit to score. Hopefully they play a possession game, last year’s dump and chase mentality was tough to watch at times.

1 hour ago, siouxfaninseattle said:

As we saw from St. Cloud last year, nothing is a given.  The pieces are there, but they still need to have done their work over the summer, and chemistry is always huge in the scheme of things. I think bringing back Hain and Senden gives us a good start at maintaining the ethic that needs to be a constant.  You can bet a few losses early in the year will have people jumping off the ledge, as that was the case last year with a team almost starting over.  Freshmen still have a learning curve, but if they can contribute, I like the returning guys and the transfers to fill in any gaps until they figure it out on both ends.

• Upvote 1

On 9/9/2022 at 3:47 PM, scpa0305 said:

Agreed, this team will be really good.  Not a ton of raw skill at the upperclassmen level, but hopefully there’s enough grit to score. Hopefully they play a possession game, last year’s dump and chase mentality was tough to watch at times.

Blake will have 30+ pts this year. James won't be far beinhd.

On 9/10/2022 at 8:16 PM, ChadR said:

I think he's got a great opportunity too.  The kid just finds ways at whatever level he's at to get on the score sheet.  Excited to see who he's with with early in the year.  Hopefully Gaber at some point.   

• Like 2

On 9/10/2022 at 8:16 PM, ChadR said:

WET BLANKET ALERT:

Matteo Costantini had a very good freshman campaign last year: 35 GP, 21 pts. 

You're telling me you believe there'll be two guys that blow through that like nothin'. I hope you're right, but color me skeptical. 

• Upvote 2

9 minutes ago, The Sicatoka said:

WET BLANKET ALERT:

Matteo Costantini had a very good freshman campaign last year: 35 GP, 21 pts. 

You're telling me you believe there'll be two guys that blow through that like nothin'. I hope you're right, but color me skeptical. 

Very skeptical but yes prove us wrong 

I'd be interested in knowing how you all think this team will match up against DU and UMD.  Not which teams are best based on talent and experience, but how the Hawks will match up against the kind of teams those two will put on the ice--the kinds of forechecks they use, neutral zone defenses, etc.  I single those two teams out there because they will likely be factors in both the conference and NCAA championships, plus the fact that we fans are always comparing our recruits to theirs as if they are the standard we are measured against.  

11 minutes ago, burd said:

I'd be interested in knowing how you all think this team will match up against DU and UMD.  Not which teams are best based on talent and experience, but how the Hawks will match up against the kind of teams those two will put on the ice--the kinds of forechecks they use, neutral zone defenses, etc.  I single those two teams out there because they will likely be factors in both the conference and NCAA championships, plus the fact that we fans are always comparing our recruits to theirs as if they are the standard we are measured against.  

I think this team will certainly not lack in speed or tenacity. There are too many upperclassmen who know the routine. To be able to get through heavy forecheck, those are two very big factors. Another element to get through heavy forecheck, defense is skill. I think we have a nice influx of skill in our freshmen and I do expect a couple of players to make solid progression. We'll see, but I am certainly hopeful. 

• Upvote 2