SiouxSports.com Forum

2022-23 University of North Dakota Hockey Season

Frozen4sioux

Just so excited for this season to get started! I’m done with the off-season, let’s get to the action! We’re gonna have a good run this year! Looking forward to enjoying it all with you on here once again. We have a fun and engaged community/fan base here.

Let’s Go Sioux! 

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, stoneySIOUX said:

Good news from Judd. Take that step, buddy. We need ya.

https://www.grandforksherald.com/sports/und-hockey/judd-caulfield-wins-unds-iron-man-competition

1) Juddy
2) Costantini
3) Sendo
4) Schmaltz
5) James

Sounds like Hain nor Frisch did the entire Ironman. 

I like to see that one. Hopefully with 10-15 lbs more on his frame! Also nice to see James name on there. 

• Upvote 2

58 minutes ago, stoneySIOUX said:

Good news from Judd. Take that step, buddy. We need ya.

https://www.grandforksherald.com/sports/und-hockey/judd-caulfield-wins-unds-iron-man-competition

1) Juddy
2) Costantini
3) Sendo
4) Schmaltz
5) James

Sounds like Hain nor Frisch did the entire Ironman. 

... and I had Frisch winning it. :( 

With votes ...

Denver – 180 points 
North Dakota – 160 
Minnesota Duluth – 136
St. Cloud State – 115
Western Michigan – 86
Colorado College – 64
Omaha – 59
Miami - 28

The gaps are 20, 24, 21, 29, 22, 5, 31. 
That tells me most ballots looked about the same with the exception of CC/UNO 6/7 (smallest gap) and that most see a top four/bottom four (the 29 gap between SCSU/WMU). Oh, and with that 31 gap, Miami is hurtin' and everyone sees it. 

• Upvote 2

On 9/19/2022 at 2:35 PM, Siouxperfan7 said:

Wonder if the NCHC poll will follow suit with this poll.  That should be out soon (Came out Sep 15th last year). If that's true, the top hald would look oike this.  Seems pretty accurate.  We shall see

1.  DU

2.  UND

3.  UMD

4.  St Cloud

5.  Western Michigan

Nailed it!:D

919FCB78-5943-419E-BF02-4529A4BDF770.jpeg

• Upvote 1

Just now, Wilbur said:

I try to never pick us for the league title, but lets break down who Denver lost.  Brink (57 points), Savoie (45 points), Guttman (45 points), Stapely (43 points), Wright (34 points), Barrow (21 Points).

My wife will tell you I'm not a smart individual, but that is replacing 245 points, roughly half of their scoring last season, and six of their top ten scorers.  And I didn't look further down the list for other lower point departures, so they likely lost over half their scoring.  Their D-core is salty, Chrona is the man, but he stands in one place and can only prevent teams from scoring.     

UND lost Sanderson, Ford, and Calder.  They accounted for 75 total points, which is about 23 percent of the scoring.  I think we got at least an even swap in the goaltending department with DeRidder replacing Driscoll.  You can't replace a Sanderson, but the core leadership is still very much there with Senden, Hain, Frisch, etc, and I'm not sure I would trade our D-Core for another in the country at the moment.   

Call me crazy, or only seeing through my green tinted glasses, but I believe UND will finish higher in the standings than the Pioneers this year.  

I also looked at Denver’s returning players and I think they seem top heavy up front. They return 3 players who scored more than 19 points last season. But everyone else back from last season didn’t seem to produce a ton. They’ll definitely need production from their new players or they might have some issues. Their d-core has a lot of returners though, so I’m thinking that’s where their strength will be. 

But in general I think UND is a deeper team, at least on paper. 

• Upvote 2

15 minutes ago, Wilbur said:

I try to never pick us for the league title, but lets break down who Denver lost.  Brink (57 points), Savoie (45 points), Guttman (45 points), Stapely (43 points), Wright (34 points), Barrow (21 Points).

My wife will tell you I'm not a smart individual, but that is replacing 245 points, roughly half of their scoring last season, and six of their top ten scorers.  And I didn't look further down the list for other lower point departures, so they likely lost over half their scoring.  Their D-core is salty, Chrona is the man, but he stands in one place and can only prevent teams from scoring.     

UND lost Sanderson, Ford, and Calder.  They accounted for 75 total points, which is about 23 percent of the scoring.  I think we got at least an even swap in the goaltending department with DeRidder replacing Driscoll.  You can't replace a Sanderson, but the core leadership is still very much there with Senden, Hain, Frisch, etc, and I'm not sure I would trade our D-Core for another in the country at the moment.   

Call me crazy, or only seeing through my green tinted glasses, but I believe UND will finish higher in the standings than the Pioneers this year.  

I agree, also losing Sanderson is almost a non factor in regards to comparing points and talent lost because we barely used him at all last year. So, I think losing Sanderson sounds like a bigger deal than it is. Look how far we got last year without him.

• Upvote 3