2022-23 University of North Dakota Hockey Season

Frozen4sioux

Forward lines today at practice:

Costantini - Schmaltz - Blake
James - McLaughlin - Gaber
Caulfield - Jammer - Sendo
Hain - Strinden - Portz
Albrecht - Kunz 

These are 100% different than the lines yesterday, so don't look too hard into these. Fun to see some ideas, though. LOVE the 2nd and third line. 

Was also told to that apparently Hain tested off the charts with all the Iron Man stuff. Great to hear that.

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, stoneySIOUX said:

Hain - Strinden - Portz
Albrecht - Kunz 

These are 100% different than the lines yesterday, so don't look too hard into these. Fun to see some ideas, though. LOVE the 2nd and third line. 

Was also told to that apparently Hain tested off the charts with all the Iron Man stuff. Great to hear that.

Ness and Montgomery hurt?

51 minutes ago, stoneySIOUX said:

Hain - Strinden - Portz
Albrecht - Kunz 

That second line is one I dreamed up in my head this summer that I felt like Berry would never go for :lol:

1 hour ago, stoneySIOUX said:

Hain - Strinden - Portz
Albrecht - Kunz 

Those top 6 are the six guys that can give this team some jump offensively. Mix and match early but they are the top 6 skill wise.

12 minutes ago, The Sicatoka said:

Two freshmen centers.
Two freshmen on a line with a guy who is reasonably* responsible defensively.

Yeah-no, those are lines for practice and experimentation. 

*Game day I'd expect that word to be 'exceptionally'. 

Definitely don't disagree, but knowing we have two lockdown lines behind them, seeing one of those lines pop isn't a bad idea.

2 hours ago, stoneySIOUX said:

Hain - Strinden - Portz
Albrecht - Kunz 

I wonder if we will actually see Strinden play center off and on throughout the year. If the freshman acclimate to the college game fast and can be smart defensively, those top 2 lines could be wicked. We just badly need someone on a line that can help Gaber to reach the potential that he has offensively. I’m also a big fan of that 3rd line as a great shut down line with size that also has the potential to score. Jammer seems to be our best faceoff guy going into the year but maybe that’ll change. 

2 hours ago, The Sicatoka said:

Two freshmen centers.
Two freshmen on a line with a guy who is reasonably* responsible defensively.

Yeah-no, those are lines for practice and experimentation. 

*Game day I'd expect that word to be 'exceptionally'. 

Haha 100%

15 hours ago, stoneySIOUX said:

These two top lines could be pretty darn fun to watch.  Lots of offensive talent...hopefully those three freshmen get up to speed relatively quickly, as they could really help out offensively this year.

Great to hear on Hain as well...he could be poised for a breakout offensive year based on how he was playing when he got hurt last year.

9 hours ago, brianvf said:

These two top lines could be pretty darn fun to watch.  Lots of offensive talent...hopefully those three freshmen get up to speed relatively quickly, as they could really help out offensively this year.

Great to hear on Hain as well...he could be poised for a breakout offensive year based on how he was playing when he got hurt last year.

Freshman forwards certainly stand a better chance of excelling than D-men, who have a tougher learning curve.  

• Like 1

This team at forward has a lot of pieces to shuffle the deck and with matchups against teams. 

With Albrecht development and Portz speed, can be quite effective. 

Then coaches I would imagine can toss in Strinden as heavy/gritty player against bigger teams once he develops and is sound in his own end and adjusts to the college game. 

If Ness can play with some more skilled players, maybe he gets more looks this year too and ups his Gs. 

Bottom line, team at forward has depth because which is good, because unfortunately injuries will happen. 

One thing I really like with our forward group is I see completely different players that should be PP guys vs. PK guys. I like being able to roll out Senden-Jammer and Hain-Caufield for PK and then have that top 6 to mix and match for the PP. Yes Caufield will probably get the net front look on the PP but I really like being able to have different guys for each role. Should allow everyone to have more energy late in games if special teams plays a large part in the game not to mention it's nice not having to have your skill guys jumping in front of pucks blocking shots all game long on the PK. 

• Upvote 1

10 minutes ago, I Ranger said:

One thing I really like with our forward group is I see completely different players that should be PP guys vs. PK guys. I like being able to roll out Senden-Jammer and Hain-Caufield for PK and then have that top 6 to mix and match for the PP. Yes Caufield will probably get the net front look on the PP but I really like being able to have different guys for each role. Should allow everyone to have more energy late in games if special teams plays a large part in the game not to mention it's nice not having to have your skill guys jumping in front of pucks blocking shots all game long on the PK. 

That thought process is why I like adding Sidorski. He has a reputation as a defensive minded shot blocker. Assuming he's playing, I'd like to keep PK pucks off of Ethan Frisch and Chris Jandric so their legs are more lively late in games. 

In general, I'd like the third pair to be able to play more PK and keep that wear off the top pair. 

On 9/7/2022 at 10:17 AM, stoneySIOUX said:

Hain - Strinden - Portz
Albrecht - Kunz 

I know these are very preliminary and experimental lines, but I have a feeling Kunz is going to end up in the lineup most nights and maybe even top 6 or middle 6.  With his size, speed, and puck retrieval abilities, this seems like a year for him to make a big jump.

• Upvote 1

8 hours ago, hockeytherapy13 said:

I know these are very preliminary and experimental lines, but I have a feeling Kunz is going to end up in the lineup most nights and maybe even top 6 or middle 6.  With his size, speed, and puck retrieval abilities, this seems like a year for him to make a big jump.

I fear Kunz has a little too much Caulfield to his game. Both are big bodies that seem to play timid. They almost are too nice on the ice. 

Maybe in the pre-game tunnel Senden or Frisch needs to "cup check" them and then point down the way and say, "Did you just see that rotten < opponent name here > that just did that to you? You gonna take that?" 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

On 9/8/2022 at 9:17 AM, The Sicatoka said:

That thought process is why I like adding Sidorski. He has a reputation as a defensive minded shot blocker. Assuming he's playing, I'd like to keep PK pucks off of Ethan Frisch and Chris Jandric so their legs are more lively late in games. 

In general, I'd like the third pair to be able to play more PK and keep that wear off the top pair. 

Sidorski won't see the ice unless there are injuries.

35 minutes ago, stoneySIOUX said:

Here's what we've got today from practice:

Gaber - McLaughlin - Kunz
Sendo - Costantini - Blake
Hain - Schmaltz - James
Strinden - Jammer - Portz
Caulfield - Albrecht

Discuss!

Well clearly he's giving McLaughlin and Blake a long look up top. Blake is basically top 6 or potentially not in the lineup. Offensive wizard but definitely a liability on the D side of things. I havent really watched McLaughlin all that much. I think Kunz needs a long look to build some confidence. He's an offensive guy, needs a shot. Interesting OM is over both MC and JS...maybe they run more of a top 9?

12 minutes ago, stoneySIOUX said:

Updated: Ness and Monty were both at practice, but not playing. Neither had a cast or anything noticable 

Moore - Frisch
Kleven - Farmer
Jandric - Johnson
Bast - Sidorski

That’s an old/experienced group. I think this is the year Moore pops. Needs a look on the top pp though

• Like 1