SiouxSports.com Forum

2022-23 University of North Dakota Hockey Season

Frozen4sioux

Just now, ksixpack said:

It’s not a big deal…I guess if it was the case in 2016 it worked fine…just think too many cooks in the kitchen can spoil a good meal.

I mean, when the most recent example of us doing this many letters was 2016, I am willing to give it a shot. 

28 minutes ago, stoneySIOUX said:

I mean, when the most recent example of us doing this many letters was 2016, I am willing to give it a shot. 

We had this many letters last year. And the year before that. And probably a few other years besides 2016, who I believe had more.

So I don’t know why people keep bringing this up as if it’s a new thing. 

7 minutes ago, siouxforce19 said:

We had this many letters last year. And the year before that. And probably a few other years besides 2016, who I believe had more.

So I don’t know why people keep bringing this up as if it’s a new thing. 

We had five last year? Senden - C, Frisch - A, Sandy - A, Hain - A .... who am I missing?

EDIT: Started with Jasper.... and added Ford when Hainer went down.

Also, in 2016, we had SIX letters, not five, so I think your premise is spot on, Siouxforce. I don't see it as a problem whatsoever.

7 minutes ago, siouxforce19 said:

So TECHNICALLY… Weatherby was an A. Then he left. And we added Ford’s A at mid season. 

Yep, yep. And for context, since 2000-2001, we've had:

3 captains -- 9 times
4 captains -- 9 times
5 -- 3 times
6 - 1 time (2016)

Definitely not uncommon anymore to have more than 3. 

• Upvote 2

11 minutes ago, stoneySIOUX said:

Yep, yep. And for context, since 2000-2001, we've had:

3 captains -- 9 times
4 captains -- 9 times
5 -- 3 times
6 - 1 time (2016)

Definitely not uncommon anymore to have more than 3. 

So...what you're saying is that they better add another letter in there this year if they want a repeat of 2016.
Get on it, Berry!

Also...wrap up this Eiserman kid while you're at it to calm the masses on ss.com!  ;) 

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, DAR said:

Unproven goaltending.  Most important position on the ice.  

DeRidder is very much a proven goaltender. Kid has seen A LOT of rubber in his NCAA career. He will also have the best defense he's ever had in front of him. 

Feels like he's even more proven than Cam was in 2016. He was the supposed Achilles heel that year, too.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

4 hours ago, stoneySIOUX said:

DeRidder is very much a proven goaltender. Kid has seen A LOT of rubber in his NCAA career. He will also have the best defense he's ever had in front of him. 

Feels like he's even more proven than Cam was in 2016. He was the supposed Achilles heel that year, too.

Yeah for his save % to be as good as it was last year with a mediocre team ahead of him is a great sign. And whether some want to admit it or not, the big 10 was good last year and had some offensively gifted players, therefore, he’s stopped skilled guys. So once this goalie settles into how ours guys play in the D zone, I think he’ll prove to be a great snag from the portal.

3 hours ago, hockeytherapy13 said:

Yeah for his save % to be as good as it was last year with a mediocre team ahead of him is a great sign. And whether some want to admit it or not, the big 10 was good last year and had some offensively gifted players, therefore, he’s stopped skilled guys. So once this goalie settles into how ours guys play in the D zone, I think he’ll prove to be a great snag from the portal.

Lets hope so.  Still unproven though.  Time will tell.

10 hours ago, DAR said:

Lets hope so.  Still unproven though.  Time will tell.

What's unproven about him? That he hasn't played at UND? The Big 10 is a mediocre defensive conference, but a solid offensive one. His numbers are pretty good playing against teams that are absolutely gunning night in and night out. Again, I know for a fact he's never played behind a defense he is going to play behind this season. There's been nothing to indicate he can't be a solid, solid tendy for UND. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 3

36 minutes ago, stoneySIOUX said:

What's unproven about him? That he hasn't played at UND? The Big 10 is a mediocre defensive conference, but a solid offensive one. His numbers are pretty good playing against teams that are absolutely gunning night in and night out. Again, I know for a fact he's never played behind a defense he is going to play behind this season. There's been nothing to indicate he can't be a solid, solid tendy for UND. 

Looking at his stats, he has a better save percentage than any returning goalie in the NCHC that has enough games to meet criteria.  I find it funny that many have high expectations for freshmen coming in and are putting some of them high up in the lineup, but a goalie that has played quite a bit is a big concern.  Not saying either is a given, but there seems to be some inequity in the thought process. 

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

10 minutes ago, The Sicatoka said:

DeRidder? Unintuitive as this sounds, can he make the adjustment from seeing 35 shots per game at MiSU to 25 per game at UND. 

Fewer shots means each one is more important. 

Fair point, Sic. We'll see. With that said, I am supremely confident of the D in front of him. I am expecting DeRidder to be a very, very good addition.

2 minutes ago, tnt said:

Looking at his stats, he has a better save percentage than any returning goalie in the NCHC that has enough games to meet criteria.  I find it funny that many have high expectations for freshmen coming in and are putting some of them high up in the lineup, but a goalie that has played quite a bit is a big concern.  Not saying either is a given, but there seems to be some inequity in the thought process. 

We all have our Anti-Big 10 bias :D

1 hour ago, stoneySIOUX said:

Fair point, Sic. We'll see. With that said, I am supremely confident of the D in front of him. I am expecting DeRidder to be a very, very good addition.

It’s very simple. If we provide our goaltender with more goal support then we won’t need to nitpick the goaltending as much :D

*by “we” I mean UND*

• Upvote 1