SiouxSports.com Forum

2022-23 University of North Dakota Hockey Season

Frozen4sioux

28 minutes ago, The Sicatoka said:

Random takes perusing the new roster:

• Somebody get Owen McLaughlin a sandwich ... stat! 
  • Between grad students and fifth years, six roster slots; throw in traditional fourth year seniors, nine slots
  • 16 of 27 are under six feet tall 
  • I track a stat that @PCMalways enjoyed: Linear Density (wt in lb divided by ht in inches). If you can skate better than average and your LD is ~2.7 or better it's really hard to knock you down. There are 7F, 4D, and a G at 2.68 or better. I suspect that's coming with an older squad this year (testosterone kicking in on age 20+ males). 
  • Jackson Kunz is mucho-grande hombra (LD is 228/75 or 3.04!) 

Only 3 dmen over 6ft, alot of 5'9s

1 minute ago, Green Banner said:

Only 3 dmen over 6ft, alot of 5'9s

I'm not buying that Ethan Frisch is 5'10". I'm that, and last time I stood by him he had me by a couple inches. But I get your point. That said ... 

The game has and is changing.
"Forest" defensemen are giving way to shorter, stouter, mobile defenders.
See: 6'0", 192, Cale Makar when he was a UMass sophomore. 

1 hour ago, The Sicatoka said:

Random takes perusing the new roster:

• Somebody get Owen McLaughlin a sandwich ... stat! 
  • Between grad students and fifth years, six roster slots; throw in traditional fourth year seniors, nine slots
  • 16 of 27 are under six feet tall 
  • I track a stat that @PCMalways enjoyed: Linear Density (wt in lb divided by ht in inches). If you can skate better than average and your LD is ~2.7 or better it's really hard to knock you down. There are 7F, 4D, and a G at 2.68 or better. I suspect that's coming with an older squad this year (testosterone kicking in on age 20+ males). 
  • Jackson Kunz is mucho-grande hombra (LD is 228/75 or 3.04!) 

I saw Owen McLaughlin at USA Arena during a World Juniors practice evaluation.  He was the second best player on the ice that day behind Isaac Howard.  He will be an excellent player for us.

• Upvote 2

Given the mix of sizes, speed, skating skills, puck skills, PK ability, PP ability, and experience, UND just might have the best defensive group in toto in college hockey this season. 

And that's without a guy named Jake Sanderson who would be a junior. 

That'll surely draw the Faber-lovin' Goophies out of the woodwork.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 3

34 minutes ago, The Sicatoka said:

Given the mix of sizes, speed, skating skills, puck skills, PK ability, PP ability, and experience, UND just might have the best defensive group in toto in college hockey this season. 

Ha, before I saw your small font text, I was gonna say that Gopher faithful are gonna take offense to that.  :D 
They're convinced that they have the best d-corps and first line in college hockey.
They will have a great D group for sure, but their forward depth is lacking IMO. 

Defense?
It takes six on game day, and eight (injuries) over a year.

UND's Eight are plug-and-play ready -- no freshmen: Three fifth-year guys, an alternate captain senior, a U20s junior plus another junior, and two sophomores, all with significant game experience (even, PP, PK). Can any other team say that. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Forwards? Balance.

UND's key at forward will be ... Roll Four.
Depth through the group is the strength*.
Don't be taking penalties. And if the other team does, make them pay. 

*Quite literally, last season's second half checking line (Ness, Albrecht, Portz) could be in the press box some nights. Maybe not Portz ... 

• Like 1

If I have a concern this fall, it's in the net. 

Hellsten has talent but the net was not his last season; will he step up.
DeRidder has resume but can he adjust from seeing almost 35 shots per game at MSU to seeing just 25? He won't be as "involved"; can he make the transition. 

*That's what UND goalies saw on average last season. 

2 hours ago, The Sicatoka said:

If I have a concern this fall, it's in the net. 

Hellsten has talent but the net was not his last season; will he step up.
DeRidder has resume but can he adjust from seeing almost 35 shots per game at MSU to seeing just 25? He won't be as "involved"; can he make the transition. 

*That's what UND goalies saw on average last season. 

I would say another concern would be someone to be the big draw guy Connor Ford was.  Hoping Jamernik can fulfill that role, as it would be nice to have that whole line for big situations should they put him back with Senden and Hain. Another concern for me is did they put in as much time connecting and working with each other like they did last year knowing that would make or break the season with so many new guys last year? Hopefully they aren’t taking for granted with so many pieces back on a league champion that they will be one of the top teams again.  We saw how that played out for St. Cloud. Still need guys to take a step forward and a few freshmen to make an impact.  Hopefully the competition for playing time has been a motivating factor to prevent complacency.

• Upvote 3

5 hours ago, The Sicatoka said:

Fully Agree. I think we may have the best defensive depth in all the land. Maybe we don't have a high end offensive D unless Moore or Johnson blossom, but we are well-rounded. If we can keep Gaber going, have him on a line with other offensive threats  with some actual top-6 scoring talent (which ended up lacking at the end of the season last year), this team is going to be hard to play against. 

19 hours ago, The Sicatoka said:

ROSTERS!
Got your fresh hot UND 2022-23 Men's Hockey roster, he-ah!
Get ya rosters! 

https://fightinghawks.com/sports/mens-ice-hockey/roster 

If you compare their height/weight from last year on the guys returning, it is amazing to see how most of the returnees are 1-2 inches shorter than last year's measurements.  What in the world is Pooly doing to have these guys shrink?

10 hours ago, tnt said:

I would say another concern would be someone to be the big draw guy Connor Ford was.  Hoping Jamernik can fulfill that role, ... 

Jam and Schmaltz each need to put about 5% onto their faceoff win percentages of 2021-22. 

• Upvote 3

1 hour ago, KSSioux said:

If you compare their height/weight from last year on the guys returning, it is amazing to see how most of the returnees are 1-2 inches shorter than last year's measurements.  What in the world is Pooly doing to have these guys shrink?

OK, I broke into REA and got the tailor's cloth tape Pooly uses.
I stretched it out about 2 inches so 6 foot reads 5 foot 10. 
It was so Kleven stays 6'4" and not 6'6" and gets stolen by MBB. 
Riese Gaber is really upset with me for that. 

6 minutes ago, The Sicatoka said:

OK, I broke into REA and got the tailor's cloth tape Pooly uses.
I stretched it out about 2 inches so 6 foot reads 5 foot 10. 
It was so Kleven stays 6'4" and not 6'6" and gets stolen by MBB. 
Riese Gaber is really upset with me for that. 

I just think it is pretty funny to look at some of the height/weight numbers and there are obvious games that are being played by teams on how they represent that information.  I doubt other teams look at this info too closely, and I just wait to see how the players actually perform and have progressed season to season.  Pooly no doubt does a great job with these kids, and I am not sure he is the one that actually does the data gathering, but I had to reference someone.

All joking aside, I compared last year's roster (from 2021-22 prospectus) to 2022-23 roster web page. 

Of the 20 guys on both lists, the average went from 6' 186 to 5'11" 189. 

Eight guys "shrunk" two inches: both Johnsons, Ness, Albrecht, Senden, Portz, Bast, Jamernik. 

Montgomery, Jandric, Frisch, Gaber, Hellsten all "shrunk" one inch. 

No one "grew" taller. 

12 hours ago, The Sicatoka said:

All joking aside, I compared last year's roster (from 2021-22 prospectus) to 2022-23 roster web page. 

Eight guys "shrunk" two inches: both Johnsons, Ness, Albrecht, Senden, Portz, Bast, Jamernik. 

No one "grew" taller. 

Inflation... dollars just don't buy as much tape anymore.

• Upvote 1

13 hours ago, The Sicatoka said:

No one "grew" taller. 

So the measurements went from skates on to skates off?

8 minutes ago, ChadR said:

Stoney - what are the early lines in practice so far?

I know they just got their whole team there this week. Well, about 10 days ago, so it's still a lot of juggling. I'll see what I can find out.

EDIT: Apparently not a lot of on ice this week as they are doing off-ice testing, Ironman stuff this week.

31 minutes ago, stoneySIOUX said:

Bitch about it on the internet and feel sorry for ourselves because our lives have not turned out the way we expected and UND hockey is the only thing in the world we base our happiness on??????

LOL...I also base my happiness on living vicariously through my children, and if they lose and UND loses...there's always alcohol

• Like 1