SiouxSports.com Forum

UND travels to Southern Illinois Oct. 16 2p.m.

BarnWinterSportsEngelstad

43 minutes ago, UND-FB-FAN said:

UND doesn’t have a QB, as evidenced by attempt at 2-QB system. They might have one if they give Quincy Vaughn a chance to run entire offense, but we don’t know right now what that’d look like. Coaches might, but I’m questioning that. Trey Feeney is next year’s hope. Tommy Schuster is a “don’t lose the game” rather than “go win the game” type QB and that fits right into 0.500 Bubba’s wheelhouse. 

That's a major "bingo".   The Hawks will continue to struggle with this QB situation.   Open QB competition this week, splitting the reps evenly, and have an honest evaluation at the end of the week and name your starter.   If it's Tommy and the offense is the disaster we are growing accustomed to, pull him at some point and turn it over to Quincy.  

Even after that disastrous start, we had major opportunities to win the game yesterday and could NOT score.  

24 minutes ago, Midwestern Hawk said:

That's a major "bingo".   The Hawks will continue to struggle with this QB situation.   Open QB competition this week, splitting the reps evenly, and have an honest evaluation at the end of the week and name your starter.   If it's Tommy and the offense is the disaster we are growing accustomed to, pull him at some point and turn it over to Quincy.  

Even after that disastrous start, we had major opportunities to win the game yesterday and could NOT score.  

Well we know what you'll be hoping for.

• Upvote 2

41 minutes ago, Kab said:

If schuster is a sophomore why would any QB want to wait 3 years to play

1 or 2 maybe in the portal

Just for clarity.. after suffering through two years of ketteringham.. and zero suitable backups.. we are so stacked in the QB room that we are worried that 1 or 2 or them will hit the transfer portal as they can’t beat out a guy everyone is calling a “game manager”

I just can’t buy that line of reasoning. 

20 hours ago, Siouxperman8 said:

I resent that as I'm sure  @VMeister does as we kicked for UND before Pat Beatty.  :)

I have to admit there was a very good string of kickers starting with Pat.  

I include myself in that list of great kickers, mainly because it was so long ago no one can remember if I was any good!

Although a certain Errol Mann might have been miffed that the list didn’t start with him.  

• Upvote 2

27 minutes ago, wheelsup said:

Just for clarity.. after suffering through two years of ketteringham.. and zero suitable backups.. we are so stacked in the QB room that we are worried that 1 or 2 or them will hit the transfer portal as they can’t beat out a guy everyone is calling a “game manager”

I just can’t buy that line of reasoning. 

What is your solution

4 minutes ago, Kab said:

What is your solution

I continue to believe that Quincy should get more touches.. not just as a runner.  He is not a runner.  I would like to see if he can be as good as we all think. I also assume the coaches know a few things and are putting the best guy out there.  I assume Danny can evaluate QB play and isn’t starting our 3rd best option.

Finally I hope Feeney is the real deal and beats the bison 3 or 4 times.  Would be a great story! 

• Upvote 1

13 minutes ago, Cratter said:

Tommy would be lighting the field on fire if he had any half decent receivers.

Or a half decent running game.

It's amazing what he's been able to do with the lack of weapons around him.

People who constantly blame football losses on qbs show a very elementary knowledge of the game.

Amen

6 hours ago, UND-FB-FAN said:

After yesterday, most likely scenario is UND goes 3-2 to finish season but results in losing record: 5-6 and miss playoffs. Major disappointment coming off the spring. 

Best case scenario would be 5-0, obviously, with huge culmination victory in Brookings to go 7-4 and make playoffs with winning conference record (5-3). 

Usually, reality lies somewhere in between, which is 4-1 finish, loss @ SDSU, 6-5 finish (4-4 conference record), and UND is either first out or last in to the playoff field. 

I doubt 4 loses gets us in.   Especially if NDSU, SDSU, and SIU get in ahead of us.   I just can't see 4 Valley teams in the playoffs.

17 minutes ago, sioux24/7 said:

I would bet heavy money 4 valley teams get in. 

Again, the experts are predicting 5 MV teams get in. It's gonna come down to Missouri State and us and that will already be decided on the field.  

By the way has anyone been able to find the video highlights of the game online somewhere - I've searched all the usual locations. 

What really hurts our offense (other than offsides) is that with our skill set at receiver, QB, and O line we are really easy to overplay without the defense worrying about getting burned.  As soon as teams do that we seem to grind to a halt.  Add in play calling that keeps no one guessing and here we are.

The backup quarterback is always the most popular guy in town.  If the coaches thought Quincy was better I'm sure he'd be playing more.  That said, at this point we may as well give him a try; gonna be hard to bench Tommy after the numbers he put up yesterday though.

Seems our offensive problems (granted we scored 28 pts on the road yesterday which should have easily been 34) are equal parts new/makeshift OL and the weak running game that goes with it, no receivers who can create space, and Tommy's inability to make plays.

1 hour ago, Cratter said:

Tommy would be lighting the field on fire if he had any half decent receivers.

Or a half decent running game.

It's amazing what he's been able to do with the lack of weapons around him.

People who constantly blame football losses on qbs show a very elementary knowledge of the game.

Watch film on him and then let’s talk . He is amazingly easy to defense.  Rarely checks down(one nice check down throw yesterday), won’t run, has a weak arm and Danny has to move the pocket so he can see.  Other than that, yes he awesome . Which qbs can’t make 5 yard throws?

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

19 minutes ago, bison73 said:

What happened to your running back Otis? I heard he was spotted at a HS game Friday and havent seen him mentioned here in awhile?

I was wondering where he was yesterday.  Injury perhaps.  At least that's what I hope. 

*Edit*

Sickness I guess. 

1 hour ago, Midwestern Hawk said:

Watch film on him and then let’s talk . He is amazingly easy to defense.  Rarely checks down(one nice check down throw yesterday), won’t run, has a weak arm and Danny has to move the pocket so he can see.  Other than that, yes he awesome . Which qbs can’t make 5 yard throws?

It hasn't been that long ago that we had starting QBs that could not consistently hit 5 yard throws or swing passes. At least those are automatic now. 

• Upvote 1