SiouxSports.com Forum

UND travels to Southern Illinois Oct. 16 2p.m.

BarnWinterSportsEngelstad

7 minutes ago, TBR said:

Ok fine. I'm an idiot that has no business posting an inference. You are brilliant. There...you happy?

Yea much better. Comparing whatever is going on with Otis to Grady without anything to back it up was a pretty idiotic thing to say. I'm glad we agree.

1 minute ago, SiouxBoys said:

Yea much better. Comparing whatever is going on with Otis to Grady without anything to back it up was a pretty idiotic thing to say. I'm glad we agree.

Yes..you're one up on a faceless stranger that you'll never meet. Life is good for you right now,  huh? Doesn't get much better than that.

2 hours ago, Hammersmith said:

Assuming what Bubba said in his press conference today is true, the blame for this rests equally between Bubba and Otis. It's an example of poor communication at work.

What Bubba said today: Otis was ill for the first half of the week and wasn't able to practice with the team. The coaches chose to bring the players that had practiced and were prepared for the game(remember that there are practical roster limits on away games - bring the players that give you the best chance to win). This is a perfectly legitimate reason to leave Otis at home. And if Otis's illness was gastro-intestinal or anything else that can pass quickly, it would make sense that he would be feeling good enough to watch his brother's game on Friday night and that it wouldn't hurt his recovery for him to be there.

Bubba's mistake came Friday or Saturday when he announced Otis wasn't going to play due to illness. The inference of his statement was that Otis was currently ill at the time. Maybe it was an attempt at gamesmanship or something, but Bubba could have easily said instead that Otis had been ill and unable to practice during the week. If Bubba had said that, this would never have been a story.

Otis's mistake came when he went into the broadcast booth at the Moorhead HS game on Friday and didn't use the opportunity to explain why he was there and not with the team. He could have found a way to insert that he had been sick most of the week and unable to practice and prepare. He then could have said that space on the bus/plane/traveling roster is limited and the coaches felt that it was better for the team that his usual spot go to someone that had been able to practice for this game and that he(Otis) completely agreed with that decision. That he really wished that he could be there, but that it was best for the team and at least seeing his brother's senior day game was a consolation. He could have squeezed that in in 15 seconds or less during a pause in the action and this would never have been a story.

Again, this all assumes that what Bubba said today is the truth and that the illness was earlier in the week.

Wow you really thought this through.  Appreciate the effort 

How much does an offense change from week to week, I ask somewhat rhetorically. Is it based on the opponent so much so that the #1 playmaker is scratched due to lack of preparation during the week?

2 minutes ago, TBR said:

How much does an offense change from week to week, I ask somewhat rhetorically. Is it based on the opponent so much so that the #1 playmaker is scratched due to lack of preparation during the week?

It's not unusual to have more than one issue when things don't work out right. 

• Upvote 2

18 hours ago, wheelsup said:

This is my hope as well.   I think we can all agree that Otis seems to be a very positive force both talent wise and hyping up his team mates on the sideline.  I thought when he was on the sidelines at the Drake game he was still very positive.  I love the Otis story and watching him on the field and I hope this can be figured out both for him personally and the team as well.

The outlier to this in my mind is the contrast to Maag.. who is also injured but was at the SIU game on the sideline.  I would have expected that if Otis was well enough to be at the High School game on Friday that he would have been well enough to be on the sideline during the SIU game.

Maag is also a captain though, so there would be reason for him to be at the game whether or not he was a game time decision.

2 minutes ago, nodak651 said:

Maag is also a captain though, so there would be reason for him to be at the game whether or not he was a game time decision.

our two best offensive players are not playing due to a never-ending hamstring pull (maag) and not doing what he is supposed to be doing (weah).  great leadership

11 minutes ago, UND1983 said:

our two best offensive players are not playing due to a never-ending hamstring pull (maag) and not doing what he is supposed to be doing (weah).  great leadership

How is a hamstring pull reflective of leadership?  I can maybe hear what you're saying with Weah's situation, but we still don't have all the details, and one could also argue that holding him out of games is at least an attempt to teach...just my thoughts

4 hours ago, nodak651 said:

No kidding...  The amount of crying by our fan base this season has truly surprised me.  A lot of the complaining thus far seems to be unjust, imo.

I agree there has been a lot of unjust criticism.  But some of it is justified.  The fourth down call vs NDSU and the using of a time out coming out of a half before running your first play.  Those are two very glaring mistakes that should not be made at this level.

• Upvote 4

2 hours ago, dmksioux said:

I agree there has been a lot of unjust criticism.  But some of it is justified.  The fourth down call vs NDSU and the using of a time out coming out of a half before running your first place.  Those are two very glaring mistakes that should not be made at this level.

No argument there.  And for the record, I'm not saying criticism is bad - a lot of it has just gotten way overblown lately, imo.  That said, if anyone wants to bash the AD I'm all for it :D.

5 hours ago, dmksioux said:

I agree there has been a lot of unjust criticism.  But some of it is justified.  The fourth down call vs NDSU and the using of a time out coming out of a half before running your first play.  Those are two very glaring mistakes that should not be made at this level.

100% agree. 

7 hours ago, nodak651 said:

if otis had a something that could be spread by close contact like the flu or the shits it's better to stay away versus a healthy guy with a bad hammy......

6 hours ago, nodak651 said:

No kidding...  The amount of crying by our fan base this season has truly surprised me.  A lot of the complaining thus far seems to be unjust, imo.

The team is 2-4 and 0-3 in conference. Your comment screams apathy and low expectations. I’m not for that. I’m all for complaining if it means people want UND football to be successful. Would you rather people be content with a 2-4 (0-3) start and stay quiet? That’s actually when the panic button really should be pushed. 

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, UND-FB-FAN said:

The team is 2-4 and 0-3 in conference. Your comment screams apathy and low expectations. I’m not for that. I’m all for complaining if it means people want UND football to be successful. Would you rather people be content with a 2-4 (0-3) start and stay quiet? That’s actually when the panic button really should be pushed. 

Your continuing bitching doesn't make the team better.  

• Upvote 4
  • Downvote 2

15 minutes ago, Nodak78 said:

No, coaches and fans that care make the team better. Good players make the team better. It all is a trickle down effect.

If the entire fan base thinks their actions are independent of the program’s success, or lack thereof, then you just feed into mediocrity. 

not a challenging concept at all for most, but perhaps it makes you uneasy because you’re content with perpetual mediocrity and want everyone to hold hands and sing kumbaya. 

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Nodak78 said:

But apparently that's how we as fans show that we are not complacent, that if we don't bitch, it means we don't care if the team loses and proves we don't want to be a championship program.

• Downvote 1

1 minute ago, UND-FB-FAN said:

No, coaches and fans that care do. Good players do. It all is a trickle down effect.

If the entire fan base thinks their actions are independent of the program’s success, or lack thereof, then you just feed into mediocrity. 

not a challenging concept at all for most, but perhaps it makes you uneasy because you’re content with perpetual mediocrity and want everyone to hold hands and sing kumbaya. 

OMG, are you lacing your spikes up on Saturday? You go man. We need more spitfires like you. Can't wait to see you go. Keep on bitching. Something good is bound to happen.

• Downvote 1

1 minute ago, shep said:

But apparently that's how we as fans show that we are not complacent, that if we don't bitch, it means we don't care if the team loses and proves we don't want to be a championship program.

“Bitching” does not need to be word diarrhea. Unfortunately for some it is. 

• Like 1

Just now, shep said:

OMG, are you lacing your spikes up on Saturday? You go man. We need more spitfires like you. Can't wait to see you go. Keep on bitching. Something good is bound to happen.

Again, I think you need to self-reflect on your poor interpretation of these terms. You’re just in a mood to argue with people rather than discuss. That is not the same thing as being upset that the team has had a poor start to the season. you can sit down now. 

• Like 1