SiouxSports.com Forum

UND travels to Southern Illinois Oct. 16 2p.m.

BarnWinterSportsEngelstad

4 hours ago, Cratter said:

Tommy would be lighting the field on fire if he had any half decent receivers.

Or a half decent running game.

It's amazing what he's been able to do with the lack of weapons around him.

People who constantly blame football losses on qbs show a very elementary knowledge of the game.

I beg to differ. Pretty obvious QB is the single position that has the greatest impact on games, thus its importance.

Sure, if a QB has better players around him, he looks better  - I don’t think anyone will argue that because that’s dead obvious. 

point remains, the single position that can most dramatically change your team is QB. The entire “offensive line” or entire “defensive front” doesn’t count as a single player. 

this continual infatuation by some with UND’s current starting QB is a bit much. He’s not “bad” by any means, but he’s not carrying this UND team by any means either. He's average at best. I do agree with you that he definitely needs a running game and better receivers around him, but so does every average quarterback out there.

As evidenced by Saturday’s game at SIU, Schuster looks a lot better when the offensive line is moving people (as opposed to NDSU and USD games) and can hand the ball off to an on fire running back (in this case Isaiah Smith, who looked great but now injured), but that is the case with every QB. 

what does your team look like when you can’t run the ball 4-5 ypc? If still good, that is probably because you have a good QB

• Upvote 1

Good news is we must have some Fargo media/Bison kind of loyalty out of Tom Miller. It was strange no one has pressed Bubba hard on that topic.

My two theories: 1. He is mad about the discipline decisions to hold him out of a game because of unknown reason. 2. He is struggling with grades.

the big tell will be if his brother stays committed or if he goes elsewhere. If Otis is displeased with the coaching staff you might see his brother decommit 

Tom Miller reported in paper yesterday after the game that bubba expects weah to be back for homecoming game And be 100%

this is what bubba told Tom 

I guess  we should know tomorrow

it was in the article 5 things you may have missed in the game 

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Kab said:

Tom Miller reported in paper yesterday after the game that bubba expects weah to be back for homecoming game And be 100%

this is what bubba told Tom 

I guess  we should know tomorrow

it was in the article 5 things you may have missed in the game 

So Obviously was not sick.  

1 hour ago, UND-FB-FAN said:

Happened many times before. 4 MVFC teams in is definitely a possibility.

MVFC is almost guaranteed to get 4 in the playoffs IMO.  Heck there were 4 this past spring when there were only 16 teams.  Decent chance MVFC gets 5 in, will depend on how things shake out. 

11 hours ago, Midwestern Hawk said:

Then you have to subtract 2 amazing catches.

UND

5.5 yards per pass attempt and 5.7 yards per rush.

SIU

11 yards per pass attempt and 4.5 yards per rush.

Oh, so when you subtract things that actually happened like they didn’t happen you get a more flattering stat line for you argument? 

Let me try: yea, so, if Tommy threw a TD on every passing play we would have won by 305. Wow, Tommy sure is good.

• Upvote 1

5 hours ago, geaux_sioux said:

Oh, so when you subtract things that actually happened like they didn’t happen you get a more flattering stat line for you argument? 

Let me try: yea, so, if Tommy threw a TD on every passing play we would have won by 305. Wow, Tommy sure is good.

I was just pointing out that if one is going to attempt to include dropped passes in a an stat line that ballls that probably should NOT have been caught should also be considered.  I rewatched the game and there were 3 catches that were far beyond ordinary.

The posters in this board are largely  frustrated because UND has lost 3 consecutive games it should/could have won against likely top 10/20 competition.   My point is in today’s football, the QB is key, and IMO our QB makes it easier to defend UND than any other QB we have faced during that 3 game span.

36 minutes ago, Midwestern Hawk said:

I was just pointing out that if one is going to attempt to include dropped passes in a an stat line that ballls that probably should NOT have been caught should also be considered.  I rewatched the game and there were 3 catches that were far beyond ordinary.

The posters in this board are largely  frustrated because UND has lost 3 consecutive games it should/could have won against likely top 10/20 competition.   My point is in today’s football, the QB is key, and IMO our QB makes it easier to defend UND than any other QB we have faced during that 3 game span.

QB position has been prime since the wing T.  You are a broken record.  This coming game the RB position will be thin.

It's a team sport.  

24 minutes ago, Nodak78 said:

QB position has been prime since the wing T.  You are a broken record.  This coming game the RB position will be thin.

It's a team sport.  

Ok one final thought.  Our 4 yard pass machine has scored :

10, 13 and 21 points so far in MVFC.  That’s a shade less than 15 points a game.

15 points would have won ZERO MVFC conference games so far this season.  

Have the best offensive mind you know watch the NDSU, USD and SIU games evaluating the offense and the qb play in particular.  With Tommy in the game, D coordinators can’t wait to get to Saturday.

The film doesn’t lie.