SiouxSports.com Forum

UND travels to Southern Illinois Oct. 16 2p.m.

BarnWinterSportsEngelstad

1 hour ago, BarnWinterSportsEngelstad said:

Need to beat out some of the following:

SCHOOL MVFC ALL
Southern Illinois 4-0 6-1
North Dakota State 3-0 6-0
South Dakota 3-1 5-2
Missouri State 3-1 4-2
South Dakota State 2-1 5-1

Some national FCS sites have said MVFC could go as deep as 6 in the playoffs, but not counting on it - we never get the benefit of the doubt. We need to take care of business. Still in reach. 

3 minutes ago, Midwestern Hawk said:

Then you have to subtract 2 amazing catches.

UND

5.5 yards per pass attempt and 5.7 yards per rush.

SIU

11 yards per pass attempt and 4.5 yards per rush.

And I believe one of those dropped td passes was actually thrown by Quincy 

• Upvote 2

35 minutes ago, homer said:

There was still plenty to tear down.  

In no particular order....

Tommy......Tommy......Bubba.....Tommy dropping 2 TD passes......undisciplined penalties......Tommy......Tommy's 3 missed FGs.

Did I miss anything??

• Like 1
  • Upvote 3

3 minutes ago, Oxbow6 said:

Tommy......Tommy......Bubba.....Tommy dropping TD passes......undisciplined penalties......Tommy......Tommy's 3 missed FGs.

Did I miss anything??

Not all Tommy fault for sure, just not going to make a serious run for a national championship without a game changing QB.  Tell me how many rings the Bison win with Tommy as the QB.......NONE.   No team in today's FCS football will be dominant enough to win with a "game manager".    

1 minute ago, Midwestern Hawk said:

Not all Tommy fault for sure, just not going to make a serious run for a national championship without a game changing QB.  Tell me how many rings the Bison win with Tommy as the QB.......NONE.   No team in today's FCS football will be dominant enough to win with a "game manager".    

Talk to Bubba......he's recruited these kids.  Tommy, in the present, is this team's best option.  Q will never be an every down "game changing QB".  Feeney will be the real deal at some point. Just not sure when that will be.

10 minutes ago, Oxbow6 said:

Tommy......Tommy......Bubba.....Tommy dropping 2 TD passes......undisciplined penalties......Tommy......Tommy's 3 missed FGs.

Did I miss anything??

maybe a little sarcastic.. :)

Seems like we should be able to be disappointed in first half Tommy and still give credit for how he played in the 2nd half.. which still makes me want to see more Quincy.  Tommy clearly played much better after Quincy came in and showed promise whether one is the result of the other or not.

The defense played poorly right away.. Tommy played poorly right away.. then Defense sparked.. Quincy sparked.. Richter sparked.. Defense played a great 2nd half except one blown coverage.. Tommy played a solid to very good 2nd half.. lack of ability to execute a field goal and 2 dropped TD's cost the game.

3 minutes ago, Oxbow6 said:

Talk to Bubba......he's recruited these kids.  Tommy, in the present, is this team's best option.  Q will never be an every down "game changing QB".  Feeney will be the real deal at some point. Just not sure when that will be.

Based on what?  He hasn't had any sustained playing time to make that judgement. 

33 minutes ago, wheelsup said:

And I believe one of those dropped td passes was actually thrown by Quincy 

No Q's pass was not close enough to catch.  He lead the rec'r out of bounds.  Played safe.  Tommy put both in tight space both were manageable catches.  Game changing

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, Nodak78 said:

No Q's pass was not close enough to catch.  He lead the rec'r out of bounds.  Played safe.  Tommy put both in tight space both were manageable catches.  Game changing

I think Quincy put one right on Bo Belquist close to the end of Q3.. it was the same series as when we went for it on 4th and 5 on the 20 yd line instead of attempting a field goal.  I could be mixed up but that is how I remember it.

15 minutes ago, Oxbow6 said:

I disagree.  The ability/willingness to run changed the game yesterday.  I'm not saying Quincy is a game changer with his arm, but a QB who can run  for 3-10 yards a rush changes the game.  With Quincy in, the defense has to consider the QB a viable running threat, changes the defense.  I'm not sold on Quincy as a passer or even the long term option, Tommy is NOT getting it done and at times has been a liability.

This will get to be an even more important option depending on the situation with injuries at RB.

8 minutes ago, Midwestern Hawk said:

I disagree.  The ability/willingness to run changed the game yesterday.  I'm not saying Quincy is a game changer with his arm, but a QB who can run  for 3-10 yards a rush changes the game.  With Quincy in, the defense has to consider the QB a viable running threat, changes the defense.  I'm not sold on Quincy as a passer or even the long term option, Tommy is NOT getting it done and at times has been a liability.

This will get to be an even more important option depending on the situation with injuries at RB.

100%....if you know the other qb can't/won't run you can sit back in the zones and wait all day......and if your wr's aren't all that good it makes it hard on whoever the qb is.....

I know the old saying.....if you have 2 QB's....it means you don't have 1.  That said sometimes you've gotta do what you gotta do.  And putting Quincy in a bit more to mix things up, including Quincy throwing a bit more can add another dimension to our predictable 3-5 yard passes.  Next week against Western at home would be a good opportunity to see that.  Hopefully the game isn't that close, and at a minimum Q would get in during second half and have some full series.  Would like to see him in the first half too.  

I am expecting us to win out heading into the SDSU game.  If we win out all the way, I think we'd be in the playoffs given that we would have won 5 straight and 3 FCS losses, two of which will likely be against seeded teams and both were very close. 

• Like 1

Any word on Maag?  I said it at the time of the Drake game, I asked/wondered why the heck he was playing in that game.  He should have sat that game so he had two weeks off.  Dumb to let him play against Drake and now he has been out during our toughest stretch.  Granted I don't know his injury details, but just seemed like a no brainer to have him sit against Drake and get two weeks off to try and recover. 

2 minutes ago, Sioux94 said:

Any word on Maag?  I said it at the time of the Drake game, I asked/wondered why the heck he was playing in that game.  He should have sat that game so he had two weeks off.  Dumb to let him play against Drake and now he has been out during our toughest stretch.  Granted I don't know his injury details, but just seemed like a no brainer to have him sit against Drake and get two weeks off to try and recover. 

100%....REST!

1 hour ago, Oxbow6 said:

Did I miss anything??

Defense giving up two TD receptions that I may have been able to run in.   

special teams giving up a huge punt return in the first quarter.  

I will say NG okay was pretty solid yesterday all in all   

That’s about it.  

• Upvote 1

28 minutes ago, Sioux94 said:

I know the old saying.....if you have 2 QB's....it means you don't have 1.  That said sometimes you've gotta do what you gotta do.  And putting Quincy in a bit more to mix things up, including Quincy throwing a bit more can add another dimension to our predictable 3-5 yard passes.  Next week against Western at home would be a good opportunity to see that.  Hopefully the game isn't that close, and at a minimum Q would get in during second half and have some full series.  Would like to see him in the first half too.  

I am expecting us to win out heading into the SDSU game.  If we win out all the way, I think we'd be in the playoffs given that we would have won 5 straight and 3 FCS losses, two of which will likely be against seeded teams and both were very close. 

UND doesn’t have a QB, as evidenced by attempt at 2-QB system. They might have one if they give Quincy Vaughn a chance to run entire offense, but we don’t know right now what that’d look like. Coaches might, but I’m questioning that. Trey Feeney is next year’s hope. Tommy Schuster is a “don’t lose the game” rather than “go win the game” type QB and that fits right into 0.500 Bubba’s wheelhouse. 

• Upvote 2

30 minutes ago, Sioux94 said:

He has the worst hamstring pull anybody has ever seen.