SiouxSports.com Forum

UND travels to Southern Illinois Oct. 16 2p.m.

BarnWinterSportsEngelstad

So was yesterday a case of SIU’s run stopping defense being awful? UND turning the corner O-Line wise? 

Starting w/ Q switch up, the offense looked good. Tommy too. Still important drops, situational struggles (ex: after blocked punt), but night and day better than what we’ve seen the past few years. 

Someone said it yesterday, but I also think the win out going into the SDSU game. Then it’s win and they are in for the playoffs.

• Upvote 1

I thought schuster played better after Q had been in

both QBs threw passes in the end zone that should be caught

not sure why we seem to come out slow and look discombobulated 

takes 60 minutes and sometimes more to win a game 

13 hours ago, Sioux94 said:

Exactly, NDSU and USD are very good against the run.  UNI has 85 rushing yards against USD with 7 minutes left in 4th quarter. We should hopefully have more success in running in probably all of our games going forward. 

Weah would have done well today too if he played.  That said, Smith is a weapon and needs more touches and is great out of the backfield, that one catch was a great catch. 

Smith's ankle bent in a way that looks like season over.  On the replay it's either a severe sprain or possibly broke.  After a coming out game I feel horrible for the kid.

• Upvote 3

No idea why we come out so slow, but obviously something the coaches need to figure out.  Defense has given up 24 of the 51 total points given up the last 2 weeks on the first 2 drives of each game.

Offensively, We can run the ball, the o line is better than we think it is . For whatever reason we don’t stick to the run.   Until Quincy came in and we ran the ball down their throats the offense was beyond awful.  Was better in the second half but still struggles finishing at all.  The first drive of second half(after another blocked punt) was pathetic and likely the key series in the game.  The way the game unfolded, we go ahead at that moment and we win by double digits.  At this point I would go with Quincy as the primary starter and change things up, especially if Otis ever comes back.  

Like I said earlier we "pissed away another game".

NDSU - don't go for it on the infamous 4th down or Tommy doesn't throw that late pick and we win.

USD - We score a TD after the blocked punt and we win by double digits

SIU - We score a TD after the blocked punt and we win by double digits.

In the second half, our drives ended at the SIU

TD

We scored a grand total of 7 points.

5 minutes ago, Midwestern Hawk said:

Offensively, We can run the ball, the o line is better than we think it is . 

Let's see if they can run the ball two straight weeks before making that claim...............

It seems to me the loss of the 3 Offensive lineman from last season has been devastating so far.

4 minutes ago, bincitysioux said:

Let's see if they can run the ball two straight weeks before making that claim...............

It seems to me the loss of the 3 Offensive lineman from last season has been devastating so far.

I disagree, we could run the ball at USD, especially when they have to account for the QB, we choose not to run.  At times just watching our offense is exhausting, so much movement and motion to throw 2 yard passes.

• Upvote 1

8 minutes ago, Oxbow6 said:

In the last 2 games our WRs have DROPPED 3 TD passes and had another one that could've/should've  been caught. 

Every team has dropped passes, its football.  Jake Richter also made a crazy good catch.  If anyone think we are EVER going to be good enough to get beyond the NCAA quarterfinals with Tommy as the QB, I have a bridge to sell you.

• Downvote 1

UnPopular Opinion:
Damn the Boys are playing hard! We are battling probably some of the best Teams in the league down to the wire. I can't even get mad....just disappointed in the outcomes. UGH!
Prayers for all our injured and banged up boys.
Keep making us Proud Fighting Hawks! Loved shutting the Away Crowd Parents and Friends down till the end
  • Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, Midwestern Hawk said:

Every team has dropped passes, its football.  Jake Richter also made a crazy good catch.  If anyone think we are EVER going to be good enough to get beyond the NCAA quarterfinals with Tommy as the QB, I have a bridge to sell you.

If you think UND could even make the playoffs with Q running the show I'll sell you the lake that bridge crosses.

I think this offense up until 2nd Quarter (Q drive) has been unexplainably / explainably bad. Let me try to explain what I mean. I don't think they could have played any worse, but so much of it is very (or should be) fixable, explainable issues. Penalties (specifically offsides). Drops, @Oxbow6 is correct, they dropped 3 TD's over the past two games. It's not like they couldn't move the ball, just never with short fields. That's sort of the unexplainable, it's just these bizarre situational things. Not getting points the last two weekends after blocked punts setting them up. WR's don't drop a lot of balls, but when they do they are for what would be TD's. Offsides on 3rd and short, leading to 3rd and medium, then being a yard short. 

I do believe in the talent. I just think there's little things that have snowballed into what we've seen. 

After yesterday, most likely scenario is UND goes 3-2 to finish season but results in losing record: 5-6 and miss playoffs. Major disappointment coming off the spring. 

Best case scenario would be 5-0, obviously, with huge culmination victory in Brookings to go 7-4 and make playoffs with winning conference record (5-3). 

Usually, reality lies somewhere in between, which is 4-1 finish, loss @ SDSU, 6-5 finish (4-4 conference record), and UND is either first out or last in to the playoff field. 

• Upvote 1

16 minutes ago, UND-FB-FAN said:

After yesterday, most likely scenario is UND goes 3-2 to finish season but results in losing record: 5-6 and miss playoffs. Major disappointment coming off the spring. 

Best case scenario would be 5-0, obviously, with huge culmination victory in Brookings to go 7-4 and make playoffs with winning conference record (5-3). 

Usually, reality lies somewhere in between, which is 4-1 finish, loss @ SDSU, 6-5 finish (4-4 conference record), and UND is either first out or last in to the playoff field. 

Need to beat out some of the following:

SCHOOL MVFC ALL
Southern Illinois 4-0 6-1
North Dakota State 3-0 6-0
South Dakota 3-1 5-2
Missouri State 3-1 4-2
South Dakota State 2-1 5-1

10 minutes ago, BarnWinterSportsEngelstad said:

Need to beat out some of the following:

SCHOOL MVFC ALL
Southern Illinois 4-0 6-1
North Dakota State 3-0 6-0
South Dakota 3-1 5-2
Missouri State 3-1 4-2
South Dakota State 2-1 5-1

If we can get the ship righted, we could win out.  A "right ship" would be 5-1, 3-0 in conference and rolling.  Instead we have lost 3 very winnable games.  The 3rd down vs the "4th down call on our 20", may go down as the high point of Bubba era at UND.  This is a team which is probably good enough to make a substantial playoff run but could also end up 5-6.

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, gfhockey said:

Proud of the fight in the boys

whonis our special teams coach? We are losing games due to special teams

feel bad for the kicker

isaiah is a stud

what a catch by richter

I agree…according to the radio… the team showed some fire. We played tough against a #4 (?) ranked team. This is something to build on and not tear down!