SiouxSports.com Forum

UND travels to Southern Illinois Oct. 16 2p.m.

BarnWinterSportsEngelstad

47 minutes ago, wheelsup said:

ok.. that one wasnt a great call either.  I was referring to the kicking game

In the 2nd half

• 31 yd fg blocked
  • 38 yd fg went for it instead of kicking
  • 36 yd fg missed
  • 47 yd fg missed badly.

I know this is our backup fg kicker, but we are alos supposed to be a division 1 program.  I would expect you would have at least two kickers and maybe more on the team that could regularly make <40yd fg.

we did not pass up a 38 yard fg attempt.  we were on the 35 or 36 so it would have been a 52 or 53 yard attempt.  Certainly not automatic

7 minutes ago, wheelsup said:

committing to the running game helps out the o-line as well

Having a running back that puts a foot in the ground and gets up field to consistently make it 2nd and 5 or 6 is something we have not been able to do the last few weeks.  

1 hour ago, nodakvindy said:

We had great kickers for about 25 years, going back to Pat Beatty.  We play indoors, which should be attractive. Have we just neglected the position in recruiting?

I resent that as I'm sure  @VMeister does as we kicked for UND before Pat Beatty.  :)

I have to admit there was a very good string of kickers starting with Pat.  

• Upvote 2

10 minutes ago, Siouxperman8 said:

we did not pass up a 38 yard fg attempt.  we were on the 35 or 36 so it would have been a 52 or 53 yard attempt.  Certainly not automatic

I believe you are incorrect..  we punted from the 35 or 36.. we were never going to kick a fieldgoal from there it was 4th and 4.. we should have gone for it

Our next offensive series we drove down to the Salukis 20 yard line and went for it on 4th and 5.. this would have been a 37 or 38 yard field goal that we should have tried to kick in my opinion.

3 minutes ago, bincitysioux said:

O-Line play wasn't good against NDSU, USD, and Utah St.

It's hard to "commit" to the run when our O-Line is overmatched.  They weren't overmatched today.

Exactly, NDSU and USD are very good against the run.  UNI has 85 rushing yards against USD with 7 minutes left in 4th quarter. We should hopefully have more success in running in probably all of our games going forward. 

Weah would have done well today too if he played.  That said, Smith is a weapon and needs more touches and is great out of the backfield, that one catch was a great catch. 

3 minutes ago, wheelsup said:

I believe you are incorrect..  we punted from the 35 or 36.. we were never going to kick a fieldgoal from there it was 4th and 4.. we should have gone for it

Our next offensive series we drove down to the Salukis 20 yard line and went for it on 4th and 5.. this would have been a 37 or 38 yard field goal that we should have tried to kick in my opinion.

At the time I was probably 60% kick/40 go for it on this one.  I think there can be reasonable arguements made for either decision, especially given how the other kicks went.   

9 minutes ago, wheelsup said:

That could be.  I don't remember for sure but thought you were talking about the punt.  My bad.

34 minutes ago, Sioux&gt;Bison said:

So do you wish we would have two Stage types? Can’t boot it in the end zone but are more accurate field goal kickers, or one that can kick deep and one that is more accurate. Obviously having both in one kicker would help. Stevens did pretty good last week…… now all of a sudden it’s an issue?

I'd prefer we could find one kicker that could do well at both kickoffs and FG's.  Maybe that is asking too much, but we used to have that when we were DII. 

• Upvote 1

Heartbreaking. We need to get someone like Reid Taubenhiem, kid rarely missed especially the easy ones. What a battle by the boys though… if we wanted to be average. Chalk up the year and start playing some of the younger kids to get them reps. Otis missing another game is making me question his love for the game and this team but hey at least his social media was cool looking before the year… another disappointment. Smith from benilde looks good. The last kid from benilde, Studsrud, turned out to be pretty good for the program. Spring looked to be deceiving. Forever go hawks! 

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Siouxperman8 said:

I resent that as I'm sure  @VMeister does as we kicked for UND before Pat Beatty.  :)

I have to admit there was a very good string of kickers starting with Pat.  

Much respect.  Beatty was the first kicker that I remember actually playing.  Growing up on western ND only got to see the Sioux Bison games and some UND hockey on Prairie Public.  We've come a long way. 

3 minutes ago, SiouxBoys said:

Damn, the two of you may have cracked the code. We need to try and win instead of losing.

To simplify things for you - for the athletes it means being assignment sharp and disciplined - not taking stupid offsides penalties etc.  For Bubba, well, it has been well discussed here but basically it means making good in game decisions and putting his team in a position to win.  This is Bubba's biggest weakness (see Bison game).  

10 minutes ago, nodakvindy said:

Much respect.  Beatty was the first kicker that I remember actually playing.  Growing up on western ND only got to see the Sioux Bison games and some UND hockey on Prairie Public.  We've come a long way. 

Beatty was really good as were Solberg, Glas, Paterka ..............we had a great run for a long time. 

• Upvote 1