SiouxSports.com Forum

2021-22 University of North Dakota Hockey Season

Frozen4sioux

7 minutes ago, tnt said:

I would think that might be the case, with Johnson and Bast rotating as the extra skater.  I think we have seen that Berry will error on the side of giving players extra time coming back from injuries though, so depending on the injuries, we might not see everybody back.   

I think Moore is the most likely one to be back.  Albrecht and Budy didn’t even practice last week, so they might need more time even if they do resume practicing this week. Just a guess though. 

12 minutes ago, Oxbow6 said:

Budy with Ford Caulder

Jamernik with Hain centered by Senden

Constantine Portz Kunz looked OK

Schmaltz centers Judd and Gaber

Not sure where Neas fits....maybe for Kunz

Yeah, I'm kind of torn on that as well.  I think for some reason Berry will play Ness Friday and sit a Kunz or Constantini, but I thought both looked o.k., so who knows.  In the end, their offensive upside might be higher, but think early this year Berry will want people well versed in our systems because we probably are not going to be a high scoring team, so you can't afford some of the mistakes that Driscoll bailed us out of the other day.  Will guess they will all see some time though.

1 hour ago, Oxbow6 said:

Budy with Ford Caulder

That is what I would think. In my opinion, I thought Kunz looked the furthest behind and a step (or two) slow on saturday. I think he's got a ways to go to solidfy himself as a regular. 

2 hours ago, Oxbow6 said:

Budy with Ford Caulder

Honestly, the four centers I see are: Ford, Schmaltz*, Senden, and Jamernik. I just don't see two freshman centers in the line-up until second half.

Constantini needs some time out there with an experienced center before he takes over the role full time. I wonder how'd he do with Ford and Calder. 

*Schmaltz gave me one or two flashbacks to a past "Schmaltz 8" jersey, as well as a couple "he's a freshman" moments. 

31 minutes ago, I Ranger said:

That is what I would think. In my opinion, I thought Kunz looked the furthest behind and a step (or two) slow on saturday. I think he's got a ways to go to solidfy himself as a regular. 

Portz put on a burst of speed in the offensive zone at one point in the first that had me looking to see who it was. 

I saw Sioux are playing Minny on Thanksgiving week again… I laughed when I saw that because I remember a few years ago, that was one of the biggest a** whippings I have ever seen in hockey, completely took them to the woodshed in their barn with more Sioux fans than Gopher fans. And then swept that a** the next night. Driscoll will be the difference and will sweep those silver spoon cake eaters again. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, SDPondHockey said:

I saw Sioux are playing Minny on Thanksgiving week again… I laughed when I saw that because I remember a few years ago, that was one of the biggest a** whippings I have ever seen in hockey, completely took them to the woodshed in their barn with more Sioux fans than Gopher fans. And then swept that a** the next night. Driscoll will be the difference and will sweep those silver spoon cake eaters again. 

The talent level has changed quite a bit since then, and they have recruited a bit more grit as well.  Hopefully the guys will have had plenty of time to mesh before then, but I certainly wouldn’t be overconfident against them.

• Upvote 1

13 minutes ago, tnt said:

The talent level has changed quite a bit since then, and they have recruited a bit more grit as well.  Hopefully the guys will have had plenty of time to mesh before then, but I certainly wouldn’t be overconfident against them.

The number of current UND players who played those games at Mariucci is in the single digits, while Minnesota’s roster from that game is more similar. 

Because of this I have no idea what to expect out of that series. 

9 hours ago, siouxforce19 said:

The number of current UND players who played those games at Mariucci is in the single digits, while Minnesota’s roster from that game is more similar. 

They had a young defense with LaCombe and Johnson, and now they are talented veterans along with Koster and Faber.   On the positive side, they could stand to have a year like we had last year and lose three of those guys to the professional ranks after this season.  

17 hours ago, siouxforce19 said:

I honestly never expect anything from that series. Blowouts, either way, are the exception and not the rule.

6 minutes ago, stoneySIOUX said:

I honestly never expect anything from that series. Blowouts, either way, are the exception and not the rule.

Oh I always have things I think may happen based on how each team’s season is going… but whether they actually happen  is a completely different story. :lol:

18 hours ago, SDPondHockey said:

As much as I'd love to see a repeat performance I don't see it happening. That Minnesota team is gonna be really really good. If I had to pick a favorite for the national championship right now they would be my pick. Ton of scoring depth, very skilled D group with some experience, and a solid goalie that is proven.

18 hours ago, bcblues said:

I bet some of the bars will have shuttles.....

Not many as most of them got busses from Deitrich who are not running any hockey busses this year.  The athletic department needs to address this before it gets much colder.