SiouxSports.com Forum

2021-22 University of North Dakota Hockey Season

Frozen4sioux

14 hours ago, AJS said:

2pm Kickoff 

6:07 Puck drop

Pretty solid scheduling from my point of view. About an Hour in-between games.

So Saturday football game is 2:00 and the hockey game is at 6:00??? Why not 7:00 or 7:30...those football games last well over 3 hours...it’s going to be a clusterf@#k… I just don’t get the rush to start the hockey game at 6:00. Who is the 6:00 start benefiting? Not benefiting the fans or the UND sports department or Alex Heinert who is doing play by play for both games.  If football goes OT the hockey game will start without fans and a tv announcer.  I don’t understand the thought process here.

• Upvote 2

5 minutes ago, ksixpack said:

So Saturday football game is 2:00 and the hockey game is at 6:00??? Why not 7:00 or 7:30...those football games last well over 3 hours...it’s going to be a clusterf@#k… I just don’t get the rush to start the hockey game at 6:00. Who is the 6:00 start benefiting? Not benefiting the fans or the UND sports department or Alex Heinert who is doing play by play for both games.  If football goes OT the hockey game will start without fans and a tv announcer.  I don’t understand the thought process here.

Agree...very short turnaround for fans. If NDSU is up 2-3 scores mid 4th quarter expect many to head to the exits to get to the Ralph by puck drop.

• Upvote 1

11 minutes ago, Oxbow6 said:

Agree...very short turnaround for fans. If NDSU is up 2-3 scores mid 4th quarter expect many to head to the exits to get to the Ralph by puck drop.

Correct; if the game isn’t competitive for the good guys it won’t be as much of an issue but if it goes to the wire it’s going to be.  It’s a big day for UND and GF…let it breath a little bit!

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

10 hours ago, ksixpack said:

It's definitely not benefitting the local restaurants.  Could be a boon for the REA concession stands though.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

10 hours ago, ksixpack said:

Agree with you 100%. But according to some people on this site, it is a "Sol-id" scheduling move. :silly:

19 minutes ago, UNDBIZ said:

It's definitely not benefitting the local restaurants.  Could be a boon for the REA concession stands though.

Curious to see how the local bars manage the bus to hockey…could be impossible to get from Alerus to establishment to ride bus to hockey that leaves at 6:15.  In addition, how many bars are having a bus to both football and hockey…what are the logistics of that?

10 hours ago, JaDubbs said:

Any guesses on the line combos?

I'm going back to my old standby assessment*: Getter/Setter/Shooter

No single person is 100% of any of these, but when you put a line together you need 100% of each skill set. 

*Just like in FB threads where I revert back to OL play or controlling the opponent's OL. 

26 minutes ago, UNDBIZ said:

Agreed…exactly who is this benefitting? I’m talking specifically Saturday Oct 2nd and not every scheduled Saturday on the hockey calendar. You could make an exception for this one day.

11 hours ago, JaDubbs said:

Any guesses on the line combos?

Hain - Senden - Caulfield

Schmaltz - Kunz - Gaber

Buddy - Costantini - Ford

Ness - Jamernick - Calder

Have to split up the underclassmen a bit.

I think we’re going to need Ness to fill a decent role…good numbers in the USHL. He’s easily above Constanini out of the gate for me. Was buried a bit last year but definitely curious how he’ll do this year. Calder/Ford will both be top 6. I could see Kunz struggling a bit his first year. 

16 hours ago, JaDubbs said:

No... How about...

Hain - Senden - Caulfield

Calder - Ford - Gaber

Schmaltz - Kunz - Buddy

Ness - Costantini - Jamernick

Nothing against Hain and Senden but I don’t think they’re on the first line, they’re solid second or third liners. Gaber and Caulfield should be on the first line though and maybe one of the transfers, other than that I have no idea.

Saturday after the game the radio guys were pretty sure the top four defense were set: Sanderson/Frisch and Kleven/Jandric. 

Thoughts on who the next two will be? 

They all had better be ready come December when Sanderson and Kleven are wearing red, white, and blue. <-- Return of the High Plains Drifters. 

4 minutes ago, The Sicatoka said:

Saturday after the game the radio guys were pretty sure the top four defense were set: Sanderson/Frisch and Kleven/Jandric. 

Thoughts on who the next two will be? 

They all had better be ready come December when Sanderson and Kleven are wearing red, white, and blue. 

3rd D pairing.....Moore and Ferner

So if Budy and Albrecht and Moore are cleared this weekend, who plays, who sits? 

I believe they'll have the extra skater be a defenseman for a while to get shifts to guys for when we lose two D to the WJC. 

I think Albrecht, Montgomery, and Ness probably sit, as does Johnson (Bast is the extra skater). 

Absolutely worthless trivia, ...
but has there ever been another case where UND's defense is eight guys from eight different states/provinces?

AB - Bast
BC - Jandric 
CT - Moore 
MN - Frisch
MT - Sanderson
ND - Kleven
SD - Ferner 
TX - Johnson 

17 minutes ago, Oxbow6 said:

3rd D pairing.....Moore and Ferner

I would think that might be the case, with Johnson and Bast rotating as the extra skater.  I think we have seen that Berry will error on the side of giving players extra time coming back from injuries though, so depending on the injuries, we might not see everybody back.