SiouxSports.com Forum

Pod style game 4-Denver....again.

Wilbur

"Hit on Pinto, absolutely clean, good non call."   ....  old school me agrees, but in this day and age isn't there something about "hitting an a player that is vulnerable or perhaps unexpecting (likely not right wording) that the onus is on the player delivering the hit..    Right out of the penalty box in this mophidite rink lay out....    Just glad he is not hurt.

1 hour ago, 90siouxfan said:

"Hit on Pinto, absolutely clean, good non call."   ....  old school me agrees, but in this day and age isn't there something about "hitting an a player that is vulnerable or perhaps unexpecting (likely not right wording) that the onus is on the player delivering the hit..    Right out of the penalty box in this mophidite rink lay out....    Just glad he is not hurt.

First thought brought me into the football mindset: defenseless and unaware. Initially appeared cheap and dirty, but after running it back a few times, it was just an unfortunate situation. Webster knew better.

4 hours ago, dden3 said:

Did anybody else hear Alex saying there are a lot of Covid issues with some of the WJC teams. Wonder if that tournament will really happen. If they are going to call it, call it now and send our guys back. 

There has been talk already that the European teams  are having a hard time with Covid and some nations may not be able to send their teams to the World Juniors. Essentially they are all waiting for the OK before committing

1 hour ago, gfhockey said:

So where do we go from here

To the next game. This is the best conference in college hockey. They're going to lose games from time-to-time. I didn't watch much of last night's game, but what I saw, they played good. Denver was a desperate hockey team. 

• Upvote 1

7 minutes ago, Goon said:

To the next game. This is the best conference in college hockey. They're going to lose games from time-to-time. I didn't watch much of last night's game, but what I saw, they played good. Denver was a desperate hockey team. 

7-3 or 8-2 was my expectation of where we would be coming out of the pod.

Still attainable.

Well super disappointing to lose the game the way we did, giving up the game winner at the end of a 5 min major, but the team knew they had to limit penalties in this game. Dumb play by Budy.

Silver lining, the loss was to a good Denver team, not Caniscius. Now a very important part to the chemistry of this team, how can we bounce back. We go from losing to a good DU team to playing a tough UMD team that will play tough defensively. Have to bounce back and get a W.

Let's talk a little more about Moore. A guy who is in the same class as Sanderson and Kleven, so he's definitely been overshadowed. 5th Round pick, coming off a strong year in Juniors (+1, so not a True Freshman, but a year delayed). He was a great recruit. 

Get's an opportunity against Western, but you can't really take much away from that game, because it ends up in a lot of ways becoming a glorified scrimmage. Yesterday, he's on the 3rd D-pairing with Rieger who being what I'm guessing is a non-scholarship guy (has been strictly depth his entire career - solid for that type of player). I was really impressed with him. He played big minutes against what we all believe to be a Top-5 team, with his D-partner being Rieger. Very excited to watch him develop. 

What were others thoughts on Moore? 

4 minutes ago, AJS said:

Let's talk a little more about Moore. A guy who is in the same class as Sanderson and Kleven, so he's definitely been overshadowed. 5th Round pick, coming off a strong year in Juniors (+1, so not a True Freshman, but a year delayed). He was a great recruit. 

Get's an opportunity against Western, but you can't really take much away from that game, because it ends up in a lot of ways becoming a glorified scrimmage. Yesterday, he's on the 3rd D-pairing with Rieger who being what I'm guessing is a non-scholarship guy (has been strictly depth his entire career - solid for that type of player). I was really impressed with him. He played big minutes against what we all believe to be a Top-5 team, with his D-partner being Rieger. Very excited to watch him develop. 

What were others thoughts on Moore? 

Moore looked great and confident. Looks good out there. Give him more minutes. Only way he can learn. 

He had one hell of a hit in front of the UND bench. 

Give him more time to be successful in the “right” times of the game. 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, SiouxForever said:

Moore looked great and confident. Looks good out there. Give him more minutes. Only way he can learn. 

He had one hell of a hit in front of the UND bench. 

Give him more time to be successful in the “right” times of the game. 

He should get plenty of ice time now with Sanderson and Kleven are with the world juniors.  Just going to make this team deeper than it already is in the long run 

3 minutes ago, siouxfaninseattle said:

I was surprised to see him on the 4th line in the first game but he has not played like he belongs on one of the top lines. Certainly hasn't picked up where he left off last season. Injury? Illness?

Technically he left off last season as a healthy scratch... 

21 hours ago, AJS said:

Game came down to two very undisciplined penalties in the last 9 minutes of the game. So frustrating.  I thought overall, UND played well. Denver is a really good team, eventually they were going to come out on the winning side of a one goal game. I was really impressed with Moore. I thought he was the 4th best Dman today. Intrigued to see him continue to grow during the pod. Won't call him out by name, but there's a Sophomore that really needs to pick it up. He looked a little better as the game went on today, but he's been bad the first 3.5 games of the year. Had high expectations for him this year, so hopefully he turns it around. 

This one does sting. They were looking good going into that last ten. 

Agreed...they had turned the corner and really controlled possession. Two stupid penalties at the end of the game.  Either way, D gave up some uncharacteristic chances early on however played ok as the game went on.

4 hours ago, AlphaMikeFoxtrot said:

The last time a transfer took a stupid penalty against their former team (Mitch Mac), I'm pretty sure he was benched the rest of his career. Obviously won't happen to Budy but he will have to earn back ice time.

Yeah, dumb penalty for sure.  However, he actually played pretty decent up to that point.  Actually should have scored a goal or two. After watching the first two game I was thinking he looked out of place.  Oh well....move on.