SiouxSports.com Forum

Pod style game 4-Denver....again.

Wilbur

Game came down to two very undisciplined penalties in the last 9 minutes of the game. So frustrating.  I thought overall, UND played well. Denver is a really good team, eventually they were going to come out on the winning side of a one goal game. I was really impressed with Moore. I thought he was the 4th best Dman today. Intrigued to see him continue to grow during the pod. Won't call him out by name, but there's a Sophomore that really needs to pick it up. He looked a little better as the game went on today, but he's been bad the first 3.5 games of the year. Had high expectations for him this year, so hopefully he turns it around. 

This one does sting. They were looking good going into that last ten. 

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, AJS said:

Game came down to two very undisciplined penalties in the last 9 minutes of the game. So frustrating.  I thought overall, UND played well. Denver is a really good team, eventually they were going to come out on the winning side of a one goal game. I was really impressed with Moore. I thought he was the 4th best Dman today. Intrigued to see him continue to grow during the pod. Won't call him out by name, but there's a Sophomore that really needs to pick it up. He looked a little better as the game went on today, but he's been bad the first 3.5 games of the year. Had high expectations for him this year, so hopefully he turns it around. 

This one does sting. They were looking good going into that last ten. 

I expected more out of Judd too.  Needs a bounce to go his way, some kind of puck luck goal to get him going.  

12 minutes ago, dden3 said:

Did anybody else hear Alex saying there are a lot of Covid issues with some of the WJC teams. Wonder if that tournament will really happen. If they are going to call it, call it now and send our guys back. 

Before they get COVID.

A few observations.

I thought we dodged some bullets early in the second period. It could've been 3-1 or even 4-1.  Scheel was steady. 

I thought we had a good push back midway thru the second and didn't let Denver's speed keep being a factor. We were struggling with it early in the second. Eventually, we got that late period goal, thanks to putting some good shifts together. I think Tim Hennessy said at one time shots were 20-9 Denver and were tied 22-22 in the first minute of the third.

I would have been happy getting to overtime, but as it was said before, you can't take bad penalties against a good team. Eventually, it will catch up to you. 

I'm happy with the progress of our PP. It's early but we needed it tonight and it came through. That bodes well moving ahead.

It's a hard situation this season. We don't have the luxury of an exhibition game and a few non-conf. series to work guys in. I know every team is in that boat, but

playing a team like Denver twice in four games is a challenge. It doesn't get any easier on Thursday.

The goal is to keep improving, win the games you're supposed to, stay healthy and we'll be fine come NCAA time.