SiouxSports.com Forum

2022 FB Recruiting

UND Fan

20 minutes ago, geaux_sioux said:

Only took that position costing us a game for us to recruit it seriously.

After last week, if this (kicker committing) is coincidence, gfhockey is a teetotaler. 

And if this lad is as advertised, may he be the first in the next long line of outstanding UND PKs. 

46 minutes ago, geaux_sioux said:

Only took that position costing us a game for us to recruit it seriously. Sounds like qb from the first few years.

Going to disagree that it hasn't been taken seriously:
Taubenheim was ranked the 24th kicker in the country by Kohl's
Steven's was a 4.5 star kicker out of Chris Sailer's camp in Colorado. 
Stage was First Team All-Conference at St. Cloud his freshman year and 2nd team his sophomore year before they shut down the program and he transferred here.
Not sure what Leach's credentials were so that might be the only one that you could argue, but being he was from Moorhead, guessing the staff had some decent insight. 

25 minutes ago, The Sicatoka said:

After last week, if this (kicker committing) is coincidence, gfhockey is a teetotaler. 

Considering Stage is a senior, Stevens is a junior and Simmering was offered a scholarship in July, the timing is probably is a lot closer than a coincidence than you'd think. 

Regardless, looks to be a great get at a position of need, from both the competition side and some upcoming graduations.

• Upvote 2

15 minutes ago, jdub27 said:

Going to disagree that it hasn't been taken seriously:
Taubenheim was ranked the 24th kicker in the country by Kohl's
Steven's was a 4.5 star kicker out of Chris Sailer's camp in Colorado. 
Stage was First Team All-Conference at St. Cloud his freshman year and 2nd team his sophomore year before they shut down the program and he transferred here.
Not sure what Leach's credentials were so that might be the only one that you could argue, but being he was from Moorhead, guessing the staff had some decent insight. 

Considering Stage is a senior, Stevens is a junior and Simmering was offered a scholarship in July, the timing is probably is a lot closer than a coincidence than you'd think. 

Regardless, looks to be a great get at a position of need, from both the competition side and some upcoming graduations.

How many all conference accolades? We used to be a kicker factory. Hasn’t been that way. Who was the last kicker we had that felt like a weapon?

16 minutes ago, geaux_sioux said:

We used to be a kicker factory. Hasn’t been that way. Who was the last kicker we had that felt like a weapon?

Looking through the media guide, here's since last century. 

Brady Leach 2018-20
Reid Taubenheim 2014-17
Zeb Miller 2010-13
Brandon Hellevang 2006-09
Jeff Glas 2002-05
Camerson Peterka 1998-01

Peterka was a machine. Given the choice would I take him or ... 
Glas feels like the last weapon. <-- 52 yards for the win? Nothing but net. 
Hellevang was steady and reliable (but still not Peterka/Glas). 

The dip started with Miller.
It got a little better with Taubenheim, but it's back down with Leach. 

Data from p 67/161 here

3 hours ago, geaux_sioux said:

How many all conference accolades? We used to be a kicker factory. Hasn’t been that way. Who was the last kicker we had that felt like a weapon?

None since Taubenheim had 3 in 4 years in the Big Sky (2nd/3rd team under Kostich). And not that it would have mattered, but last spring would have been the first season anyone would have been eligible since Taubenheim since we weren't in a conference for those two seasons.
I completely agree that the kicking game needs to improve, but pretty sure they recognized that when brought in Stage and Stevens. My point was that claiming it hasn't been taken seriously isn't accurate.

Considering UND plays well over half of their games in indoor stadiums and now has a facility where you can practice year-round, it should be fairly attractive place to kick.

14 minutes ago, The Sicatoka said:

Looking through the media guide, here's since last century. 

Brady Leach 2018-20
Reid Taubenheim 2014-17
Zeb Miller 2010-13
Brandon Hellevang 2006-09
Jeff Glas 2002-05
Camerson Peterka 1998-01

Peterka was a machine. Given the choice would I take him or ... 
Glas feels like the last weapon. <-- 52 yards for the win? Nothing but net. 
Hellevang was steady and reliable (but still not Peterka/Glas). 

The dip started with Miller.
It got a little better with Taubenheim, but it's back down with Leach. 

Data from p 67/161 here

I  hope he can kick a 35-45 yard field goal. 

37 minutes ago, VMeister said:

145 lbs?  We'll have to weight him down on windy days.

Ha that's what I was thinking!  However that also means he has plenty of room to put on weight and muscle which should improve his already good distance. 

1 hour ago, BarnWinterSportsEngelstad said:

Thinking  @VMeister knows well what he is talking about.
Are you going to the last road conference game of the season?
If a close game, could well be up to the kicker?
I'm going, hope to see you there.

I'm planning to go.  If it's cold I might try to scam my way into the press box.

Missed the last 2 weeks with a positive test.  Lucky shoes are ready for this Saturday.

6 hours ago, nodak651 said:

You're the worst type of "UND" fan.

You mean that I am a realistic UND fan. 

We're in the best FCS conference.  We should recruit well, at that level.  A kicker would be happy to get over 50% of his attempts indoors.  So, we landed a good kicker.  That's fine. 

Just nothing to be all giddy about.