SiouxSports.com Forum

2022 FB Recruiting

UND Fan

1 hour ago, geaux_sioux said:

Christmas Recruiting Wishlist:

RB: Emmett Johnson, 6', 185, Minneapolis (Holy Angels), MN Has offers from UNI, SDSU, WKU, MT St, EMU, CMU & USD

WR: Caden Dennis, 6'2”, 170, Liberty (Liberty), MO

DL: Wesley King, 6'5”, 270, Appleton (North), WI Has offers from CMU, USD, UNI, NDSU & IL St

DL: Luna Larson, 6'2”, 210, Baraboo (Baraboo), WI Has offers from Air Force, EKU, Columbia, Buffalo, Dartmouth, CMU, Penn, EMU & Georgetown

ATH: Keyshaun Elliott, 6'3“, 220, Richmond (Richmond), MO Has offers from Kansas, Eastern Michigan, UNI, Illinois State, USD, SEMO, Air Force & Army

The Johnson kid from Holy Angels is the real deal.  UND needs to get him. 

• Upvote 1

21 hours ago, SWSiouxMN said:

The Johnson kid from Holy Angels is the real deal.  UND needs to get him. 

Thats what I though, especially after they lost out on Eli Gilman. You'd think they would be recruiting Johnson hard and tried to get him up for a game. Though I'd have rather had him up there for the NDSU loss than the Illinois St. win.

2 hours ago, sioux24/7 said:

Looks like Skokna’s brother was visiting. If he’s anything like Luke, I hope we can get him here. 

Not as highly recruited (not sure on any offers yet to be honest), and is more WR than RB.  Could be in the burner category, although I think at most is a PWO candidate.  The Dennis kid from MO is likely the main burner target.

34 minutes ago, Hambone said:

Not as highly recruited (not sure on any offers yet to be honest), and is more WR than RB.  Could be in the burner category, although I think at most is a PWO candidate.  The Dennis kid from MO is likely the main burner target.

That’s fair. Dennis would be awesome to land. 

10 minutes ago, nodak651 said:

I'm sure it's been mentioned, but in a couple years Tommy has a second brother who is also a QB, who will be starting next year as a junior.  The middle brother committed to lafyette earlier this year.

I knew he had the first brother, but did not know about the second.  

2 hours ago, Dustin said:

I knew he had the first brother, but did not know about the second.  

Yeah I guess he is starting for JV until the middle brother graduates.  Coach had high praises for all three, and the article implied that there was little doubt about him being the starter for the next couple years.

Can someone explain this math to me???

Per their athletic website, NDSU currently has 114 players on their roster. This includes 25 seniors of which at least 10 of them will be back to use their extra year of eligibility.  They have currently commitments from at least 30 prospects.  That number will likely continue to grow to some extent.    

2021 roster size          114 

Players leaving         -  15   (maybe fewer)

New recruits             + 30   (likely higher) 

Total                            129

Of course, there will be players on the current roster who elect to transfer out but that would likely be offset by players wanting to transfer in to SU. 

I realize that, due to COVID, the 10 players who will return next year will not apply to maximum of 85 players allowed to receive any scholarship $ and that the maximum roster size of 125 is waived.  I realize that HS kids want to play at SU and that SU has no financial challenges having a bunch of extra players on scholarship but why would they want a roster that size.   

I took a look at the number of players on some other rosters:

UND        103

SDSU       111

UNI          105

UMN        116

Alabama  127

I guess they think they are one of the "big boys" but they have the $ so I guess it makes sense to them!

Please don't "nickel and dime" - I am sure my numbers are not 100% accurate.

41 minutes ago, UND Fan said:

Can someone explain this math to me???

Per their athletic website, NDSU currently has 114 players on their roster. This includes 25 seniors of which at least 10 of them will be back to use their extra year of eligibility.  They have currently commitments from at least 30 prospects.  That number will likely continue to grow to some extent.    

2021 roster size          114 

Players leaving         -  15   (maybe fewer)

New recruits             + 30   (likely higher) 

Total                            129

Of course, there will be players on the current roster who elect to transfer out but that would likely be offset by players wanting to transfer in to SU. 

I realize that, due to COVID, the 10 players who will return next year will not apply to maximum of 85 players allowed to receive any scholarship $ and that the maximum roster size of 125 is waived.  I realize that HS kids want to play at SU and that SU has no financial challenges having a bunch of extra players on scholarship but why would they want a roster that size.   

I took a look at the number of players on some other rosters:

UND        103

SDSU       111

UNI          105

UMN        116

Alabama  127

I guess they think they are one of the "big boys" but they have the $ so I guess it makes sense to them!

Please don't "nickel and dime" - I am sure my numbers are not 100% accurate.

They are going to be cutting a LOT of backups come January and May.

2 hours ago, UND1983 said:

They are going to be cutting a LOT of backups come January and May.

Roster limits are 125 in season and 105 in the off-season. Guessing some of that was waived this year but if they have 25 seniors and as right now, only 10-12 are expected to move in with another 13-15 staying for an extra year  it will be interesting to see how they navigate that. Those humber could change a bit but their roster management will be interesting to watch.

1 minute ago, jdub27 said:

Roster limits are 125 in season and 105 in the off-season. Guessing some of that was waived this year but if they have 25 seniors and as right now, only 10-12 are expected to move in with another 13-15 staying for an extra year  it will be interesting to see how they navigate that. Those humber could change a bit but their roster management will be interesting to watch.

teams could give out more scholarships this fall due to covid but need to be back to limit by Fall 2022. Some did, some didn't but like you said some are loading up numbers but going to need to cut a bunch of kids to make it work