SiouxSports.com Forum

2022 FB Recruiting

UND Fan

1 hour ago, shep said:

Seems like there's also a certain level of risk involved.

There is, and as fans we certainly can have that mentality, but I think that’s a loser way to think about it. If you don’t want to bring a potential recruit to a home game against your biggest rival because you might lose the game, changes need to be made to the way recruiting is done (or who is doing the recruiting).

• Upvote 1

36 minutes ago, Siouxperman8 said:

I saw some Twitter posts from UND potential recruits that showed they were offered to pick from a number of games and could get 4 tix or something.   I don't believe the NDSU game was listed.

It wasn’t listed. Just speculation, but you would think that weekend would be for a more select group. Special invite. Current commits and your “A” level prospects. 

What we’ve seen on Twitter I’m sure the Coaching Staff sent to hundreds of prospective recruits (both from this year as well as future years). 

3 hours ago, Dustin said:

There is, and as fans we certainly can have that mentality, but I think that’s a loser way to think about it. If you don’t want to bring a potential recruit to a home game against your biggest rival because you might lose the game, changes need to be made to the way recruiting is done (or who is doing the recruiting).

True...but until we beat them they have the edge. What changes can be made to recruiting? We are competing against them for studs. They've won a pile of Natty's; we haven't. It's hard to recruit against that. 

4 hours ago, Dustin said:

The weekend should be a sellout. Lots of alumni, players family’s, activities etc. to deal with. Tougher to focus as much time on recruits. Can also work in you favor if organized well. 

8 minutes ago, AJS said:

It would be crazy to me if they didn’t try to get all of their top targets on campus that weekend. 

And IF it's a 20 point game (the wrong way) how do you handle that? 

"Hey guys. This is the school for you. Never mind what happened today, this is the next great ND Championship team" 

Who's buying that?

31 minutes ago, shep said:

True...but until we beat them they have the edge. What changes can be made to recruiting? We are competing against them for studs. They've won a pile of Natty's; we haven't. It's hard to recruit against that. 

Which is why you invite big time recruits to that game.  If you lose to them, they have the advantage anyways, so why not get them in the heat of the battle, and even if we get nipped, they might like the atmosphere and think they can be a difference maker to help flip the script next time.  Maybe they enjoy the campus, the other players, or any number of things that could swing them our way.

• Upvote 2

10 minutes ago, shep said:

And IF it's a 20 point game (the wrong way) how do you handle that? 

"Hey guys. This is the school for you. Never mind what happened today, this is the next great ND Championship team" 

Who's buying that?

Embarrassing discussion honestly.

• Upvote 2

1 minute ago, shep said:

Don't disagree. We need a Mike Mooney moment to change everything.

Speaking of Mike Mooney, I’ve been thinking the last few seasons that the coaching staff should bring him in for a motivational meeting with the team in the week leading up to NDSU.