SiouxSports.com Forum

2020 non UND FCS thread

UNDBIZ

14 minutes ago, UND1983 said:

That was the best part.  Name ONE thing Dom that you said that was actually critical and negative about NDSU football.  Just one.  

It would likely be from 12 years ago and than Bohl locked all the media out of a Saturday scrimmage and issued knee pads for when they were ready to come back.  

2 minutes ago, Bison06 said:

They’ve never had the opportunity either. Can’t happen under the current structure.

On paper, Georgia and Alabama would dominate Houston or Utah or Boise St. But any given Saturday as they say.

Ya ya ya "Any given Saturday..." Yadayadayada.........

If FBS playoffs go to 8 teams or 12 teams it is simply because they will make out better financially. Everyone was excited when it went to 4, well the semi final games have all been complete snoozers. If they expand and use an auto bid format it will be even worse. I'm not against them expanding, but simply take the best 12 teams in the nation. If that means 4 SEC teams and 4 B10 teams, well if they are the best they are the best. 

Also, Utah isn't in the same category as Houston or Boise St. They are a P5 team.

I'm just waiting for the P5 conferences to give the middle finger to the NCAA and break off.

The group of 5 conferences are just FCS schools with an FBS title. The MAC and the MVFC are pretty similar.

30 minutes ago, FlinFlan80 said:

Ya ya ya "Any given Saturday..." Yadayadayada.........

If FBS playoffs go to 8 teams or 12 teams it is simply because they will make out better financially. Everyone was excited when it went to 4, well the semi final games have all been complete snoozers. If they expand and use an auto bid format it will be even worse. I'm not against them expanding, but simply take the best 12 teams in the nation. If that means 4 SEC teams and 4 B10 teams, well if they are the best they are the best. 

Also, Utah isn't in the same category as Houston or Boise St. They are a P5 team.

I'm just waiting for the P5 conferences to give the middle finger to the NCAA and break off.

The group of 5 conferences are just FCS schools with an FBS title. The MAC and the MVFC are pretty similar.

Ya da ya da yada?

Why even watch sports if there isn’t drama and surprises, the whole point of watching is you don’t know how things will play out isn’t it? I’m amazed at how cynical some here are about the possibility of upsets. For me they are the main thing that makes sports worth watching. If we knew for sure who would win a game before it starts, that would be a pretty boring game.

49 minutes ago, Bison06 said:

They’ve never had the opportunity either. Can’t happen under the current structure.

On paper, Georgia and Alabama would dominate Houston or Utah or Boise St. But any given Saturday as they say.

Yea, any given Saturday Bama and Georgia from this year would beat those three teams by 40. I’m assuming you watched that game. Those two teams were playing on a different level than all other college teams. 

• Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, Bison06 said:

Ya da ya da yada?

Why even watch sports if there isn’t drama and surprises, the whole point of watching is you don’t know how things will play out isn’t it? I’m amazed at how cynical some here are about the possibility of upsets. For me they are the main thing that makes sports worth watching. If we knew for sure who would win a game before it starts, that would be a pretty boring game.

I love upsets. I follow Minnesota profesional sports and UND football. Every win that "my teams" get is considered an upset. I am simply being realistic. The NCAA is a business driven by money. If the figures don't match up, we will never get an expanded playoffs. If they can make more money by expanding, then they will expand until they can't anymore. 

I think what upsets UND fans the most (besides NDSU's success because its a rivalry and no one wants their rival to succeed) Is the unrealistic fans that think if NDSU transitions it will be smooth and butter and they will continue their dominance. I'm not even going bring up the "We want Bama" crowd.

Just now, geaux_sioux said:

Yea, any given Saturday Bama and Georgia from this year would beat those three teams by 40. I’m assuming you watched that game. Those two teams were playing on a different level than all other college teams. 

This couldn't be more spot on. I realistically watched 30-40 college football games this year ranging from NAIA to FBS and this game was as close to the NFL as you will find.

10 minutes ago, FlinFlan80 said:

I love upsets. I follow Minnesota profesional sports and UND football. Every win that "my teams" get is considered an upset. I am simply being realistic. The NCAA is a business driven by money. If the figures don't match up, we will never get an expanded playoffs. If they can make more money by expanding, then they will expand until they can't anymore. 

I think what upsets UND fans the most (besides NDSU's success because its a rivalry and no one wants their rival to succeed) Is the unrealistic fans that think if NDSU transitions it will be smooth and butter and they will continue their dominance. I'm not even going bring up the "We want Bama" crowd.

9 minutes ago, geaux_sioux said:

I’m a realistic guy too and I would fully expect Georgia and Alabama to dominate most every team in the country this year. Would they? You’d have to play the game.

If I had money on it of course I’m picking those two teams all day. But that’s not the point. The point is, upsets happen, they are called upsets because you don’t expect them to happen. Anybody can beat anybody, that’s why the game is played.

8 minutes ago, Bison06 said:

I’m a realistic guy too and I would fully expect Georgia and Alabama to dominate most every team in the country this year. Would they? You’d have to play the game.

If I had money on it of course I’m picking those two teams all day. But that’s not the point. The point is, upsets happen, they are called upsets because you don’t expect them to happen. Anybody can beat anybody, that’s why the game is played.

The points are: Dom Izzo is getting clicks in the off-season with an intentionally delusional take that gets NDSU rubes hard and makes everyone else facepalm. NDSU is geographically isolated and doesn’t appear to have a legit FBS option. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

2 minutes ago, geaux_sioux said:

The points are: Dom Izzo is getting clicks in the off-season with an intentionally delusional take that gets NDSU rubes hard and makes everyone else facepalm. NDSU is geographically isolated and doesn’t appear to have a legit FBS option. 

I don’t disagree with any of that.

1 hour ago, FlinFlan80 said:

Agreed. Also, think Dom is the leader of the pro-FBS mop so his job holds more clout nationally.

Also, isn't this a complete flip flop from only like two years ago, and was ridiculing the pro fbs crowd?

2 hours ago, jdub27 said:

But....but....but he said that he says lots of things that the NDSU brass probably doesn't appreciate or approve of!!
Are you saying he wasn't telling the truth??

How do you know if Dom is creating a false tweet? 
His thumbs are moving. 

1 hour ago, geaux_sioux said:

NDSU is geographically isolated and doesn’t appear to have a legit FBS option. 

Here's where I say again there's no western "MAC". 

A consortium of the top of the MVFC and BSC would form a better conference athletically and academically. 

• Upvote 1

In my opinion I think FBS should go to an 8 team playoff.  There have been a couple of years there was quite a bit of debate about one or two teams that did not get in the top 4 and probably should have had a shot.  The 8th seed is very unlikely to win but if a 5th seed plays a 4th seed I'd say that is almost 50/50 in most years as to who would win.  If they were to go to 12 teams, I think they'd have to give the top 4 a buy so that there would be 8 teams in second round.  I wouldn't necessarily be opposed to something like that, would make for some good first round games.  I could see a #12 upsetting a #5 in the first round in that scenario.  

I wouldn't want it to get too watered down, but the nice thing about FCS and bigger playoff field is that it makes things a lot more interesting for a lot more teams right up until the final week of the season.  

• Upvote 1

9 minutes ago, Sioux94 said:

In my opinion I think FBS should go to an 8 team playoff.  There have been a couple of years there was quite a bit of debate about one or two teams that did not get in the top 4 and probably should have had a shot.  The 8th seed is very unlikely to win but if a 5th seed plays a 4th seed I'd say that is almost 50/50 in most years as to who would win.  If they were to go to 12 teams, I think they'd have to give the top 4 a buy so that there would be 8 teams in second round.  I wouldn't necessarily be opposed to something like that, would make for some good first round games.  I could see a #12 upsetting a #5 in the first round in that scenario.  

I wouldn't want it to get too watered down, but the nice thing about FCS and bigger playoff field is that it makes things a lot more interesting for a lot more teams right up until the final week of the season.  

The interest in an 8-12 team tournament would be so high. I would absolutely love to see an AAC/MAC/MW champion line up against a 2nd or 3rd best team from a P5 in that first round. 

11 hours ago, Bison06 said:

These exact conversation were had as NDSU transitioned to DI if you’re old enough to remember. See my post above, G5 first then P5 is the scenario I laid out. So I agree with you. The landscape is ever changing, a lot can happen over the course of a couple of decades.

P5 isn’t happening. 9 FCS championships barely raised enrollment. NDSU going P5 one day is a Pipe Dream! NDSU is not Cincinnati, Houston or UCF!!!!! 

but be my guest and lose credibility!

19 minutes ago, Sioux>Bison said:

P5 isn’t happening. 9 FCS championships barely raised enrollment. NDSU going P5 one day is a Pipe Dream! NDSU is not Cincinnati, Houston or UCF!!!!! 

but be my guest and lose credibility!

You lack an understanding of how time can change things. The landscape today will look nothing like what it will look like in 20 years.