SiouxSports.com Forum

2020 non UND FCS thread

UNDBIZ

10 hours ago, Sioux>Bison said:

Dom thinks they will be the next Cincinnati but they are not going to get there playing in the CUSA or MAC. Cinci would not have made the 12 team playoff if they didn’t have the rankedvNotre Dame win. 

A 12 team playoff would likely come with autobids. Would an autobid be set aside, whether explicitly or implicitly, for an undefeated G5 team? 

I think maybe.

8 minutes ago, Bison06 said:

A 12 team playoff would likely come with autobids. Would an autobid be set aside, whether explicitly or implicitly, for an undefeated G5 team? 

I think maybe.

No way the P5 allows a 12 team playoff with auto bids for each G5 conference. The G5 has not earned autobids to a 12 team playoff let alone some of the P5 conferences….

14 minutes ago, Sioux>Bison said:

No way the P5 allows a 12 team playoff with auto bids for each G5 conference. The G5 has not earned autobids to a 12 team playoff let alone some of the P5 conferences….

Not autobids for each G5 conference, just one that is set aside for a USF/Cincinnati situation where a G5 team is undefeated and should get a shot in the tourney.

It may not matter though, depending on how they choose the entries into a 12 team tournament. If you’re undefeated, even most G5 teams would be ranked in the top 12.

If they ever moved to a 12 team tournament, I would feel much better about an FBS move for NDSU. It might take them 10 years to get there, but with an FBS budget, FBS scholarships and everything they goes with that, I could see NDSU finding it’s way to a tournament berth on exceptional years.

1 hour ago, Bison06 said:

Not autobids for each G5 conference, just one that is set aside for a USF/Cincinnati situation where a G5 team is undefeated and should get a shot in the tourney.

It may not matter though, depending on how they choose the entries into a 12 team tournament. If you’re undefeated, even most G5 teams would be ranked in the top 12.

If they ever moved to a 12 team tournament, I would feel much better about an FBS move for NDSU. It might take them 10 years to get there, but with an FBS budget, FBS scholarships and everything they goes with that, I could see NDSU finding it’s way to a tournament berth on exceptional years.

A 12 team FBS tournament would be a joke. How many teams per year have a legit shot? Maximum 3-5 I would say. Rarely more than 3. 

15 hours ago, SIOUXFAN97 said:

i think izzo has dementia...

And again, if the playoff would expand to 12 teams, this would have been a year when NDSU would have been in the mix for a playoff spot. To play Georgia. Or Alabama. Or Michigan. Or keep playing Western Illinois, whatever.

4512B307-B288-4F15-8DC0-B9855B2CB6DA.gif

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, geaux_sioux said:

A 12 team FBS tournament would be a joke. How many teams per year have a legit shot? Maximum 3-5 I would say. Rarely more than 3. 

I’ve never been behind the idea that the only purpose of a tournament is to declare a champion. I find just as much interest in matchups along the way.

Take March Madness as an example. Of course, crowning a champion is ultimately the purpose, but look at the teams that claim multiple sweet 16 finishes, Elite 8 finishes, Final Four appearances. The romanticism that comes from a small school lining up against a big school, regardless of outcome. 

I think college football has always missed this point. They’ve only ever cared about one thing, who’s the best. They miss half the equation with this line of thinking IMO.

1 hour ago, geaux_sioux said:

The only way this happens is if the politicians get involved---again.  Its the only reason we moved on from the original formats.

The fact that Dom bases his whole argument on “if” FU was in the Mountain West and “if” they went 12-1 and “if” they won the conference title game and “if” the playoffs was at 12 teams “than” they would have been considered for a playoff spot is comical.  The amount of FU fans eating that up and using it as a “valid” argument on why they need to move up is even more funny.  

literally any FCS team could make that argument cause it’s all hypothetical.  

also Dom, the commissioner of the Mountain West will leave the table when the P5 commissioners tell him/her the meeting is done.  Not when he/she gets their demands met. 

• Upvote 3

17 minutes ago, homer said:

The fact that Dom bases his whole argument on “if” FU was in the Mountain West and “if” they went 12-1 and “if” they won the conference title game and “if” the playoffs was at 12 teams “than” they would have been considered for a playoff spot is comical.  The amount of FU fans eating that up and using it as a “valid” argument on why they need to move up is even more funny.  

literally any FCS team could make that argument cause it’s all hypothetical.  

also Dom, the commissioner of the Mountain West will leave the table when the P5 commissioners tell him/her the meeting is done.  Not when he/she gets their demands met. 

So which is it? Should NDSU stop being a Varsity team beating up on JV teams or imagine and speculate on a successful future with a hypothetical move to FBS. 

24 minutes ago, Bison06 said:

So which is it? Should NDSU stop being a Varsity team beating up on JV teams or imagine and speculate on a successful future with a hypothetical move to FBS. 

I don’t give a !@#$ what you do.  Trying to validate it to the common fan with 5 “ifs” in a scenario is funny don’t you agree.  None of what he layed out in his scenario could have happened this year but in FUs fans minds they are now tied to Georgia and would have been in the FBS playoffs

• Upvote 2

18 minutes ago, homer said:

I don’t give a !@#$ what you do.  Trying to validate it to the common fan with 5 “ifs” in a scenario is funny don’t you agree.  None of what he layed out in his scenario could have happened this year but in FUs fans minds they are now tied to Georgia and would have been in the FBS playoffs

You don’t give a !@#$ what we do, yet here you are criticizing what writers and fans are doing. For someone who doesn’t give a !@#$ what we do, you’re talking a hell of a lot about it.

1 minute ago, Bison06 said:

You don’t give a !@#$ what we do, yet here you are criticizing what writers and fans are doing. For someone who doesn’t give a !@#$ what we do, you’re talking a hell of a lot about it.

It's completely possible to not give a !@#$ what you do, while also pointing out how stupid your what ifs and hypotheticals are.

• Upvote 1

51 minutes ago, Bison06 said:

Entirely up to NDSU. Move up for a chance to play for 1st and bowl games or stay in FCS and keep playing for 131st.

• Upvote 1

9 minutes ago, Bison06 said:

Lol.  One post is a lot is it??

The fact you are even arguing a pretty deep “what if” scenario is equally as funny.  If FU was in the MOuntain West and if they would have gone 12-1 in the regular season and and if they would have won their conference championship game if the FBS had a 12 team playoff than I suppose FU fans and Don are right, they would have been considered for the playoffs. 

Reality is none of that happened and every FCS team could make the same argument.  Instead of throwing a pity party of “ifs” move up.  

1 hour ago, Bison06 said:

I’ve never been behind the idea that the only purpose of a tournament is to declare a champion. I find just as much interest in matchups along the way.

Take March Madness as an example. Of course, crowning a champion is ultimately the purpose, but look at the teams that claim multiple sweet 16 finishes, Elite 8 finishes, Final Four appearances. The romanticism that comes from a small school lining up against a big school, regardless of outcome. 

I think college football has always missed this point. They’ve only ever cared about one thing, who’s the best. They miss half the equation with this line of thinking IMO.

I want a 12 team playoff for the reasons you suggest. If ONE underdog wins in the first round it's the sports news biggest story for the whole week and the beauty of it is, it's very possible. 

But I disagree that the only thing the NCAA cares about is "who's the best." 

The NCAA cares ONLY about money and a 12 team playoff makes more money than a 4 team.

• Upvote 1

33 minutes ago, homer said:

The fact that he tried to explain his tweet with 5 “if” statements is very laughable. I kind of get his point but it’s a stupid argument and it deserved the backlash it got.

• Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, homer said:

It is.  

Maybe I’m different than you, but things I don’t give a !@#$ about don’t get posted about. They actually don’t even enter my mind. The act of posting shows you have an opinion about it, which by definition is giving a !@#$.

8 minutes ago, homer said:

Lol.  One post is a lot is it??

The fact you are even arguing a pretty deep “what if” scenario is equally as funny.  If FU was in the MOuntain West and if they would have gone 12-1 in the regular season and and if they would have won their conference championship game if the FBS had a 12 team playoff than I suppose FU fans and Don are right, they would have been considered for the playoffs. 

Reality is none of that happened and every FCS team could make the same argument.  Instead of throwing a pity party of “ifs” move up.  

I’m not arguing the hypothetical scenario. Only defending the idea of speculating about FBS football for ndsu as a general statement. What else are you going to write about if you’re Dom Izzo? As annoying as it is to outsiders, ndsu winning 9/11 I’m sure makes it hard to find something interesting to write about if your him or think about if you’re a fan.

1 minute ago, Bison06 said:

Maybe I’m different than you, but things I don’t give a !@#$ about don’t get posted about. They actually don’t even enter my mind. The act of posting shows you have an opinion about it, which by definition is giving a !@#$.

Weird way of admitting that you are much more simple-minded than most people.