SiouxSports.com Forum

2020 non UND FCS thread

UNDBIZ

5 minutes ago, geaux_sioux said:

It’s just hard to look at geography and see a clear path. In my mind it would’ve already happened. 

I agree, the path isn’t clear. But if the ambition is there from leadership and alumni, a path will present itself. 

12 minutes ago, Bison06 said:

Everything you listed has improved at NDSU in the past 20 years, as an optimist I choose to believe that trajectory will continue. Time will tell I suppose.

Of course we are all speculating here. You choose to see a future that isn’t as favorable for your rival school, I choose to see a future where we move ever closer to the potential NDSU and the Fargo market has/will have.

There’s no right or wrong here. Is it unlikely, sure. But, again, many on this board and around the state mocked and ridiculed NDSU for ever dreaming they would have the success they’ve already had at the DI level. Guess we’ll just have to see how it plays out.

I’m not talking G5. P5 is a pipe dream that won’t happen in this lifetime. 

look at Montana and Montana State. Montana is the bigger football school with much more national notoriety, but their school is in decline, dropping enrollment. Then look at Montana St, booming university. enrollment is exploding and the academics is following. Which school is more primed for FBS? Montana St.! They may even be better positioned to go FBS than NDSU. These are just the hurdles to get to the G5, P5 is not reality. 

3 minutes ago, Sioux>Bison said:

I’m not talking G5. P5 is a pipe dream that won’t happen in this lifetime. 

look at Montana and Montana State. Montana is the bigger football school with much more national notoriety, but their school is in decline, dropping enrollment. Then look at Montana St, booming university. enrollment is exploding and the academics is following. Which school is more primed for FBS? Montana St.! They may even be better positioned to go FBS than NDSU. These are just the hurdles to get to the G5, P5 is not reality. 

That’s your opinion and you’re welcome to it.

The landscape is ever shifting, reality today won’t be reality tomorrow and vice versa. To speak in such absolutes I believe is foolish in most everything in life. 

These are the exact same conversation I had 20 years ago with NDSU’s move to DI.

We’ll see what happens.

Everyone is correct

maybe Florida floods permanently when the polar caps melt

maybe a big chunk of California slides into the ocean

maybe our friends in Texas don’t like the direction of the rest of the country and decide they would rather be Their own country as North Mexico

Would that change anything 

1 minute ago, Bison06 said:

The landscape is ever shifting, reality today won’t be reality tomorrow and vice versa. To speak in such absolutes I believe is foolish in most everything in life. 

These are the exact same conversation I had 20 years ago with NDSU’s move to DI.

We’ll see what happens.

I don’t disagree 

Just now, Bison06 said:

We’ll see what happens.

Yeah my opinion is reality, yours is asinine! D2 to FCS moves are relatively easy . FCS to G5 also wouldn’t be that hard for NDSU. We are talking magnitudes more difficult to go P5. Be my guest and embarrass yourself in the football community with those aspirations!

Just now, Sioux>Bison said:

Yeah my opinion is reality, yours is asinine! D2 to FCS moves are relatively easy . FCS to G5 also wouldn’t be that hard for NDSU. We are talking magnitudes more difficult to go P5. Be my guest and embarrass yourself in the football community with those aspirations!

Lol, yes, my god the embarrassment that I’ll endure.

:lol:

3 hours ago, Bison06 said:

I agree, the path isn’t clear. But if the ambition is there from leadership and alumni, a path will present itself. 

The MAC and the Big 10 are the only two footprints that make sense. Big 10 will never happen obviously for a million reasons. MAC has 16 teams already so that ain’t happening either. 

54 minutes ago, geaux_sioux said:

The MAC and the Big 10 are the only two footprints that make sense. Big 10 will never happen obviously for a million reasons. MAC has 16 teams already so that ain’t happening either. 

The MAC has 16 teams in January 2021. Things can change.

The AAC has been a revolving door and is adding 6 teams in two years. Not saying that the footprint is a fit, just noting the ever changing landscape of the conference.

Why is this so controversial to some here? Conference affiliations change constantly especially at the G5 level. 

And Cincinnati, Houston and UCF are joining the Big 12.

4 minutes ago, Bison06 said:

The MAC has 16 teams in January 2021. Things can change.

The AAC has been a revolving door and is adding 6 teams in two years. Not saying that the footprint is a fit, just noting the ever changing landscape of the conference.

Why is this so controversial to some here? Conference affiliations change constantly especially at the G5 level. 

Not controversial, more reality

you want all sports, correct?

4 minutes ago, Kab said:

Not controversial, more reality

you want all sports, correct?

What conference was UND in 20 years ago? How many conferences has UND been affiliated with in the last 20 years. Would you have predicted that path in the year 2000?

An inferiority complex in North Dakota 

need visionaries 

hard to distinguish between visionaries and realists 

I don’t like to criticize visionaries or realists 

as I have said - I am a gray type of guy. - not black and white

and again I wouldn’t underestimate the visionaries at ndsu

24 minutes ago, SiouxFan100 said:

need visionaries 

there is literally nothing visionary about ndac....

they should hang their hat on wrasslin'

there are 4  major sports (baseball, football, basketball, and hockey)  in american and ndac has no shot at any given year of winning a title at the highest level of those....UND-1

2 minutes ago, SIOUXFAN97 said:

there is literally nothing visionary about ndac....

they should hang their hat on wrasslin'

there are 4  major sports (baseball, football, basketball, and hockey)  in american and ndac has no shot at any given year of winning a title at the highest level of those....UND-1

There are 3 major sports to everyone outside of Grand Forks.

53 minutes ago, SiouxFan100 said:

need visionaries 

the only athletic visionary in the last 100 years in North or South Dakota is Red Jarrett and it aint even close

since 2004 when ndac and sdac moved up these schools have left FCS for FBS...other than WKU all the other schools are either very very south or very very eastern shore....................

Florida International

Western Kentucky

Texas-San Antonio

South Alabama

Texas State

Massachusetts

Georgia State

Georgia Southern

Old Dominion

Appalachian State

Charlotte

Coastal Carolina

Liberty

James Madison

Sam Houston State

Jacksonville State

and this is the conference the izzo thinks might expand to the dakotahs...north dakota doesnt' even show up on this pic.....much less the eastern part of north dakota...  Fargo is about ..............................................................................................................................................................*HERE

MWCLocations2.png

and the other one that izzo thinks isn't good enough for the bizons.

fargo is         *HERE

400px-Mid-American_Conference_detailed_map_updated.png

I stated it before only logical fit for FBS conference would be if Montana, Montana State, North Dakota State, Und, SDSU, USD, Northern Iowa, Idaho state, Eastern Washington, Idaho, and utah and Northern Colorado formed a conference. Even with the names listed above i don't know how many would want to move up but this would have foot print that would make sense it would limit distant travel and if enough would join you could have east/west spliit in the conference to also limit travel and costs . If it was marketed right getting right media company that wanted to provide sports tv to the states in this conference there could be some television money. Also most national markets wouldn't want to regionalize a market to small market states that this conference would be in so if was done right conference and tv provider would need to be almost partners in developing and marketing this conference to this region of the country. The big time p5 schools are basically doing this now national level and i don't see their numbers increasing because adding more schools just dilutes amount of money being shared when adding more schools. If anything we could see a drop in p5 schools because they don't improve the revenue shared to pot because of tv viewership and other media revenue they can generate for other p5 schools. This sounds like were getting away from basic of college sports but this has been happening in last 20 years and unless their is political change i just see this continuing down this path. We have done this on national scale and next step is for local media company working with smaller college conferences selling this on regional basis as subscription to watch their favorite teams. But until this happens i don't see where NDSU or most of FCS schools and small mid major schools will be moving even to G5 conference because most of these conferences are near what they want for membership. These changes could happen quite quickly or may never happen depending how much change smaller division I schools are willing to accept and if there are smaller local media companies willing to grow and put media business  company together sell conference on regional basis. I think this may happen but until somebody does it and makes it successful it won't become the thing to do.